If I were Coach Bohl....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
mwc fan wrote:I thought there was a glaring difference between the brown Defense and the Gold defense. Kind of hard to say that Thornton was the best out there when he went against a patch work defense. Even Bohl commented on the lack of Depth on defense ( gold squad ). If we ran a scrimmage like DC used to with the 1's vs the 2's the Gold offense wouldve ripped up the field. I thought Claiborne looked great, Wick had some strong runs and The TE Krill looked good offensively. The Brown Defense ( starters ) looked exceptional, especially the front 7. Secondary needs work though. The O line concerns me with all the mental errors. You can't have guys on defense shooting the gap and beating you off the ball. Our offensive Tackles took a beating by Sonny and Yarbrough. Overall its easier to gauge your teams talent when the 1's play the 1's and 2's vs. 2's. I had a fun time today and my kids had a great time at the camp.
Not disagreeing with what you said, but I thought that it was a bit unfair for the offensive line to have both Yarbrough and Puletasi on the same team today. Yarbrough is just an amazing athlete and has an incredible quickness on his first step. Sonny is no slouch either and he might have an incredible year with Eddie on the other end, because Eddie will get much of the attention and this will hopefully open things up for Sonny. With the DB's, I thought that Blair Burns, Tyran Finley, DeAndre Jones, Courtland Fort, Tim Kamana and Tim Hayes all had pretty decent days. Blair took Maulhardt to the woodshed and covered him like a glove on one route in particular, Tim Kamana had a long runback for a TD off of the fumble, and I saw Tyran Finley and DeAndre Jones and Courtland Fort all have big hits. They played a lot of back-ups in the DB and unfortunately it was most of these guys that got burned, but I thought that our front liners especially played well. One person that I was really surprised to see in the defensive backfield today was Trent Sewell. Trent played WR, DB, punt returner and kick returner today....other than that he didn't do much.

One other note, it was good to see Seth Edeen out there making plays, and he had several nice ones.
About T Sewell, are you sure about that?, and not mistaking him for Jesse Sampson who wears the same number and is a safety? I wasn't there, you were. Think him playing both O and D would have made some news. And to you and everyone else who made it to the game and have given your thoughts...Thank You! :thumb:
theman12
Buckaroo

J-Rod wrote:Should we really be shocked though? What if I told you all Colby would be the #1 QB exiting spring a year ago? Come on now....Bohl has the potential to be an elite coach at this level, but the level of miracle-making expected seems unfair. Anyone whose followed the Pokes in recent years would know that if Captain Kirk is the teams best option....the correct response to that is Holy *****.

My prediction has changed though.....I now expect Stratton to eventually start. Maybe not on opening day, but sometime in 2014.
Stratton is a great guy and a hard player but he's not what we need for a QB. Yes he has the ability to extend plays but when he scrambled in the spring game he was looking to run and only RUN everytime. He tucked the ball and put his head down.

If Sam keeps running like that he wont survive with his frame. I still say Fort or Smith will be the starter against Montana.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

zappinpoke wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
mwc fan wrote:I thought there was a glaring difference between the brown Defense and the Gold defense. Kind of hard to say that Thornton was the best out there when he went against a patch work defense. Even Bohl commented on the lack of Depth on defense ( gold squad ). If we ran a scrimmage like DC used to with the 1's vs the 2's the Gold offense wouldve ripped up the field. I thought Claiborne looked great, Wick had some strong runs and The TE Krill looked good offensively. The Brown Defense ( starters ) looked exceptional, especially the front 7. Secondary needs work though. The O line concerns me with all the mental errors. You can't have guys on defense shooting the gap and beating you off the ball. Our offensive Tackles took a beating by Sonny and Yarbrough. Overall its easier to gauge your teams talent when the 1's play the 1's and 2's vs. 2's. I had a fun time today and my kids had a great time at the camp.
Not disagreeing with what you said, but I thought that it was a bit unfair for the offensive line to have both Yarbrough and Puletasi on the same team today. Yarbrough is just an amazing athlete and has an incredible quickness on his first step. Sonny is no slouch either and he might have an incredible year with Eddie on the other end, because Eddie will get much of the attention and this will hopefully open things up for Sonny. With the DB's, I thought that Blair Burns, Tyran Finley, DeAndre Jones, Courtland Fort, Tim Kamana and Tim Hayes all had pretty decent days. Blair took Maulhardt to the woodshed and covered him like a glove on one route in particular, Tim Kamana had a long runback for a TD off of the fumble, and I saw Tyran Finley and DeAndre Jones and Courtland Fort all have big hits. They played a lot of back-ups in the DB and unfortunately it was most of these guys that got burned, but I thought that our front liners especially played well. One person that I was really surprised to see in the defensive backfield today was Trent Sewell. Trent played WR, DB, punt returner and kick returner today....other than that he didn't do much.

One other note, it was good to see Seth Edeen out there making plays, and he had several nice ones.
About T Sewell, are you sure about that?, and not mistaking him for Jesse Sampson who wears the same number and is a safety? I wasn't there, you were. Think him playing both O and D would have made some news. And to you and everyone else who made it to the game and have given your thoughts...Thank You! :thumb:
You are right, thanks for clearing up that confusion. It was impossible to tell the difference between the two as they are similar size and when their helmets are on it is impossible to tell the difference. I would look from time to time for another #5 but I didn't see one, so Jesse or Trent must have been kneeling down or standing behind someone.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

theman12 wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Should we really be shocked though? What if I told you all Colby would be the #1 QB exiting spring a year ago? Come on now....Bohl has the potential to be an elite coach at this level, but the level of miracle-making expected seems unfair. Anyone whose followed the Pokes in recent years would know that if Captain Kirk is the teams best option....the correct response to that is Holy *****.

My prediction has changed though.....I now expect Stratton to eventually start. Maybe not on opening day, but sometime in 2014.
Stratton is a great guy and a hard player but he's not what we need for a QB. Yes he has the ability to extend plays but when he scrambled in the spring game he was looking to run and only RUN everytime. He tucked the ball and put his head down.

If Sam keeps running like that he wont survive with his frame. I still say Fort or Smith will be the starter against Montana.
I saw that with Stratton too. I understand the kid is an athlete, but he wont last long if he takes on defenders like that. He just isn't built to take contact on every other play. Seemed like he tried to keep the ball and run with it too much instead of being a passer first, runner second.
CampWyo
Buckaroo

If you're only looking at numbers, then you weren't at the game. O-line will learn a lot this summer, because it's a lot technique stuff. Based on that, I think Young will surprise. He didn't look like the scrub this board makes him out to be. I think he's the best passer by far, even though he didn't get much of a chance to show it. He may shock people in August. I wouldn't count him out.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

CampWyo wrote:If you're only looking at numbers, then you weren't at the game. O-line will learn a lot this summer, because it's a lot technique stuff. Based on that, I think Young will surprise. He didn't look like the scrub this board makes him out to be. I think he's the best passer by far, even though he didn't get much of a chance to show it. He may shock people in August. I wouldn't count him out.
Are you related to Young?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Are you related to Young?
LOL Yeah....it does seem a little on the optimistic side, especially since Young struggled in essentially every scrimmage....and he's clearly 3rd string based on Bohl's roster right now. Unless one of the Freshman goes all Brett Smith on us, Kirkegaard's the opening day starter.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

CampWyo wrote:If you're only looking at numbers, then you weren't at the game. O-line will learn a lot this summer, because it's a lot technique stuff. Based on that, I think Young will surprise. He didn't look like the scrub this board makes him out to be. I think he's the best passer by far, even though he didn't get much of a chance to show it. He may shock people in August. I wouldn't count him out.
I was definitely there. If a Qb struggled against the Gold defense, he's gonna implode if he played against the Brown Defense. Nothing wrong with taking a redshirt year to catch up to the FBS level. He might be good down the line, but today is not that day.
jarhead
Ranch Hand

Did you all notice that the names were not on the uniforms. Coach says it is not about the name on the back. So learn you numbers because I don't think the names are coming back.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

jarhead wrote:Did you all notice that the names were not on the uniforms. Coach says it is not about the name on the back. So learn you numbers because I don't think the names are coming back.
Norm Chow did the same thing his first season.....went 3-9, and that was the end of that. :lol:
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

so they went 3-9 because they didn't have names on the back? I know thats not what your implying, but...
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

LasCrucesPoke wrote:so they went 3-9 because they didn't have names on the back? I know thats not what your implying, but...
lol no not related at all. Just saying that kind of trivial stuff goes out the door if you don't win.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Are you related to Young?
LOL Yeah....it does seem a little on the optimistic side, especially since Young struggled in essentially every scrimmage....and he's clearly 3rd string based on Bohl's roster right now. Unless one of the Freshman goes all Brett Smith on us, Kirkegaard's the opening day starter.
I think that you are overly optimistic. Clearly Young is 4th string. Kirkegaard and Stratton are one and two and Thornton is 3rd string, and then Young is behind Thornton. Thornton threw 2 TD's in the Spring Game and Young, well he didn't lead anything out there.

My issue with the QB's that Wyoming presently has on the roster (minus the incoming freshmen) is that they all have a glaring weakness in their game. Kirkegaard is the best passer but he isn't really a runner and does not have a quick delivery and doesn't have a cannon for an arm. Stratton is by far the best scrambler but is maybe the 3rd best passer amongst the group. Stratton takes off quickly and seems to prefer to run instead of standing in the pocket and passing and when he is running is unable to pass anything other than short dump-offs. Thornton has a nice arm and is a decent scrambler but his decision making is limited and doesn't make the best reads always. Young does not appear to have a grasp of the offense and doesn't appear to have a quick passing motion and certainly isn't a runner. Due to these weakness' they would limit the ability of the offense to be truly balanced and therefore would make the Wyoming offense much easier to defense. Wyoming doesn't need to have a Brett Smith back there, but they do need someone that is dangerous back there and is more balanced in their game to make the offense more dangerous and difficult to defense.

My "reading between the lines" from Coach Bohl's comments, i.e. - the "QB position is still fluid" and "the competition will go into the fall" tells me that he sees the issues with the QB position and it is more than just having a QB knowing the playbook and making the right reads. It has to do with not having enough talent at the QB position. The biggest unknown is how the incoming freshmen figure in all of this. My take is that between Fort and Smith, that Smith would have an advantage slightly over Fort (but I certainly could be wrong) as he actually played against stiffer competition and was way more productive than Fort in his senior year. I wouldn't be surprised if Bohl is looking for a transfer that can be immediately available and would have one year of eligibility remaining so there wouldn't be as much pressure on the incoming freshmen, but again I could be wrong.

The QB position is far from being etched in stone for the fall and Coach Bohl has said this, so I would expect to see some changes before fall camp starts.
Last edited by PotatoCreekPete on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

What about those of us that were there at the game?
Young did not look good.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
CampWyo
Buckaroo

BeaverPoke wrote:
What about those of us that were there at the game?
Young did not look good.
I'm not saying he had an outstanding game. And you saying he didn't look good is only your opinion. There are others that thought he showed some of the skills he has that are better than the others. So, who's the experts, you and others that didn't think he did well or those that did? If some are anti Young, they saw things to support it, and if you're pro Young, there were things to support that. Frankly though, you could say that about all of them.
CampWyo
Buckaroo

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
Are you related to Young?
I just think it's really funny to see the posts from all the "experts" on here. The great evaluators of talent!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

I actually think you need an even more intelligent QB in the pro-style O. The benefits of the pro-style are that you can have a lot of different formations and lots of options. However, your QB needs to be fantastic at reading Defenses and the QB needs to make anticipation throws.

With that said, our QB struggles have some time to work out. I agree with most that it is a concern. However, the O-line has to gain a completely new mentality. It is going to take time. If the O-line can pull it together, then the QB just needs to be a decent threat at hitting the 10-20 yard throws. I think all the QBs will get better at it with more time. 15 days isn't much time to get rhythm, reads, etc. down. It is hard to be at your best when you have to "think" as much as the O-line and QBs probably do right now.

If the running game is suspect, then we will need a fantastic QB to overcome that. The O-line has to really step up or it will be a loooong season.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I actually think you need an even more intelligent QB in the pro-style O. The benefits of the pro-style are that you can have a lot of different formations and lots of options. However, your QB needs to be fantastic at reading Defenses and the QB needs to make anticipation throws.

With that said, our QB struggles have some time to work out. I agree with most that it is a concern. However, the O-line has to gain a completely new mentality. It is going to take time. If the O-line can pull it together, then the QB just needs to be a decent threat at hitting the 10-20 yard throws. I think all the QBs will get better at it with more time. 15 days isn't much time to get rhythm, reads, etc. down. It is hard to be at your best when you have to "think" as much as the O-line and QBs probably do right now.

If the running game is suspect, then we will need a fantastic QB to overcome that. The O-line has to really step up or it will be a loooong season.
"If the running game is suspect, then we will need a fantastic QB to overcome that. The O-line has to really step up or it will be a loooong season." Truer words have never been spoken. The Offensive Line really has to become a force or it will be a long season.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

We sure gave up a lot of sacks for being a running team
W-Y, Until I Die!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

My Concern is that if we are a power run team opposing teams will put seven in the box to stop the run and force us to pass. If, and when that happens we are going to be forced to pass the ball and from the looks of things that is going to be a tale task!