Attendance this season

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Game............ Average

Montana- 25,243.... 25,243
Air Force- 21,246.... 23,244.5
Florida Atl.- 21,226...... 22,571.67

So the AFA and FAU games were the same crowds. Those two averaged 21,236.
Why were there 4K more for the Montana game than what the other 2 have been?

Did Montana really bring that much?

I don't get it, it's a new coach, people want to see how we look, we get our first win, then 4K people lose interest? We win the next game, get rocked on the road and have the same amount for the FAU game.

If Wyo loses this weekend then wins in Hawaii, there should be at least 23K or so. I mean the team would be 4-2, why wouldn't the people be showing up?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Montana did bring a decent crowd, including Mr. T. :twisted:
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

A lot of folks from far away have to choose one game to attend due to budget restraints. The first game is a game you should win and highest probability for good weather.

They were marketing the hell out of the opening game too. I think montana really did bring that any fans as well.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

The Air Force game was a late start. FAU is not a conference game or a team that many fans know much about. And frankly, many of us fans have been through the new coach thing so many times before that it's not that exciting anymore. Overall, I think attendance has been pretty good.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I definitely think the preseason marketing played a pretty big role. Interesting they haven't done something similar since.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I didn't realize that we only have one home game between now and the second weekend in November. All three remaining home games will be aired on the ESPN Networks. Exact channels will be announced roughly 12 days before the game, except for the 11/7 Utah State game, which we already know will be on ESPN2.

And I'm going to say it...things could set up well for the end of the season. If things fall into place between now and then there's an outside chance that the home finale could be for a Mountain Division title. That plus the BSU factor (there's a special clause in ESPN contract for them) and the SVP Wyoming mentions could really make for some good storylines that ESPN could use.

OK I'll take off my brown and gold homer glasses now...
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times

BeaverPoke wrote:Game............ Average

Montana- 25,243.... 25,243
Air Force- 21,246.... 23,244.5
Florida Atl.- 21,226...... 22,571.67

So the AFA and FAU games were the same crowds. Those two averaged 21,236.
Why were there 4K more for the Montana game than what the other 2 have been?

Did Montana really bring that much?

I don't get it, it's a new coach, people want to see how we look, we get our first win, then 4K people lose interest? We win the next game, get rocked on the road and have the same amount for the FAU game.

If Wyo loses this weekend then wins in Hawaii, there should be at least 23K or so. I mean the team would be 4-2, why wouldn't the people be showing up?
That's a really good first three games. Probably the strongest start to a season in a decade or more. We usually bring in under 20k.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Btw they should do all they can to get montana here as the fcs game on a regular basis as their fans will travel.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

Montana didn't really travel that well...according to my view of their group.

The key in the attendance for game one, was the massive marketing campaign coupled with the roll out of Bohl & the new Cowboys. Mickey Mouse could have been the opponent and we would have drawn 25K. Too bad we didn't have a better opponent, we would have sold 4-5k more tickets. Oh well.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

joshvanklomp wrote:I didn't realize that we only have one home game between now and the second weekend in November. All three remaining home games will be aired on the ESPN Networks. Exact channels will be announced roughly 12 days before the game, except for the 11/7 Utah State game, which we already know will be on ESPN2.

And I'm going to say it...things could set up well for the end of the season. If things fall into place between now and then there's an outside chance that the home finale could be for a Mountain Division title. That plus the BSU factor (there's a special clause in ESPN contract for them) and the SVP Wyoming mentions could really make for some good storylines that ESPN could use.

OK I'll take off my brown and gold homer glasses now...
This really hasn't helped crowds historically - Most recently, Fresno last year. Plus, they're late in the year, which kills crowds. IE, TCU in what, 2011? There isn't a home game left we can't win. Which is fun to say!

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

VisorHair wrote:This really hasn't helped crowds historically - Most recently, Fresno last year. Plus, they're late in the year, which kills crowds. IE, TCU in what, 2011? There isn't a home game left we can't win. Which is fun to say!
But is TV/weather why fans aren't coming out, or is it the fact that we haven't been as competitive late in the season?
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
VisorHair wrote:This really hasn't helped crowds historically - Most recently, Fresno last year. Plus, they're late in the year, which kills crowds. IE, TCU in what, 2011? There isn't a home game left we can't win. Which is fun to say!
But is TV/weather why fans aren't coming out, or is it the fact that we haven't been as competitive late in the season?
I think it's all of the above.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

WYCowboy wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Agree...many factors

Weather
TV
Opponent - Competition
Historically poop the bed

Not much we can do about mother nature, but the other 3 certainly are fixable. I still am all for a TV blackout in Laramie, Cheyenne, and the surrounding areas - unless the game is sold out. But I am probably in the minority.

On a side note, maybe a different topic altogether - but if bWHYu were to come to Laramie in September, does anyone here think that it woudln't sell out the War?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Agree...many factors

Weather
TV
Opponent - Competition

Not much we can do about mother nature, but the other 3 certainly are fixable. I still am all for a TV blackout in Laramie, Cheyenne, and the surrounding areas - unless the game is sold out. But I am probably in the minority.

On a side note, maybe a different topic altogether - but if bWHYu were to come to Laramie in September, does anyone here think that it woudln't sell out the War?
Definite sell-out.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

I think a big reason why there were 4K more at the Montana game was the fact that it was also Labor Day Weekend, a good weekend for travel. One thing to always remember is there are Wyoming fans that will make 1-2 game a year, and in a year of uncertainty and change why not go on a 3 day weekend?

Key thing here is that we keep winning the games we should and people will feel it's worth their while to show up.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I think it has been proven that BYU is no bigger a draw than other teams in this conference. So, if we played BYU in September....it may or may not sell out. Definitely not a given.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

VisorHair wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Agree...many factors

Weather
TV
Opponent - Competition

Definite sell-out.
In more ways than I think you all are talking about...

I agree with McPeach'- a better opponent for the opener could have sold out the stadium. We also should black out home games in Cheyenne, Laramie, and FoCo, especially the ones played later in the season.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

VisorHair wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Agree...many factors

Weather
TV
Opponent - Competition

Definite sell-out.
In more ways than I think you all are talking about, we'd definitely be "selling out"...

I agree with McPeach'- a better opponent for the opener could have sold out the stadium. We also should black out home games in Cheyenne, Laramie, and FoCo, especially the ones played later in the season.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

i grew up in Buffalo and we never really got to go much due to hunting season and my dad being a game warden and all, but it's 4 1/2 hours from there, longer for others, but hunting season is a bigger draw in smaller cities and most everywhere else in Wyoming. I'm glad I live in Cheyenne now makes it much easier than ever b4, but I have always 2nded that idea blackout the game in Laramie and Cheyenne for sure, as that'll bring those that really want t be there to do so.
the days of 33,500 sellouts are gone, cuz I guess we max out at 29, 700 or something like that when it is sold out.
Wyoming is a unique place to draw fans from and this is what you are seeing
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times

McPeachy wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Agree...many factors

Weather
TV
Opponent - Competition

I don't think BYU has ever sold out the War. BSU doesn't, why would BYU?