IMO, it's not about a player or a coach...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote:While giving out advice on a message board is probably one of the lamest routes an individual can take, I will do it here anyway. My advice: Don't take anything said in a Game Thread or on Gameday too seriously. Those posts usually involve 15 years of pain and frustration mixed with alcohol. With clear hindsight on a snowy day next spring when spring camp opens I will recognize what Bohl inherited and the long road it will take to build a winner, but on a fall night at 2 AM when I see two defensive backs go in the wrong direction and give up a TD to Hawaii on the way to a terrible loss? Yeah, reason and logic are not my strong suits at that point.
I'm a Minnesota sports fan, so I know all about the pain and frustration. Still trying to get over the fact that we would've beaten the Broncos in Super Bowl XXXIII. But there are better ways to channel that frustration than to want someone to lose his job.

And alcohol is a poor excuse. If it makes it do those things, don't drink it. It's really not all that difficult.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
NowherePoke wrote:While giving out advice on a message board is probably one of the lamest routes an individual can take, I will do it here anyway. My advice: Don't take anything said in a Game Thread or on Gameday too seriously. Those posts usually involve 15 years of pain and frustration mixed with alcohol. With clear hindsight on a snowy day next spring when spring camp opens I will recognize what Bohl inherited and the long road it will take to build a winner, but on a fall night at 2 AM when I see two defensive backs go in the wrong direction and give up a TD to Hawaii on the way to a terrible loss? Yeah, reason and logic are not my strong suits at that point.
I'm a Minnesota sports fan, so I know all about the pain and frustration. Still trying to get over the fact that we would've beaten the Broncos in Super Bowl XXXIII. But there are better ways to channel that frustration than to want someone to lose his job.

And alcohol is a poor excuse. If it makes it do those things, don't drink it. It's really not all that difficult.
I was really just joking with the pain/frustration/alcohol part. The point being, emotions run high during the game and extreme positions are taken.

However, I am going to have to ask you to link to my posts (or anybody else on here) that express a desire for Bohl to lose his job.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote:However, I am going to have to ask you to link to my posts (or anybody else on here) that express a desire for Bohl to lose his job.
While people may not want Bohl fired (yet), there are a number of posters who have called for Stanard's firing.

I'd never wish that on anybody, but maybe others on WyoNation are high enough up the corporate food chain where that's acceptable.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

joshvanklomp wrote: While people may not want Bohl fired (yet), there are a number of posters who have called for Stanard's firing.

I'd never wish that on anybody, but maybe others on WyoNation are high enough up the corporate food chain where that's acceptable.
Nice backtrack after an overly dramatic accusation :lol: . FYI, I'm not necessarily advocating firing Stanard now even though I don't think he is the guy for the job. However, I'm definitely advocating a short leash.

Please stop with the drama queen crap. Nobody is wishing him to be fired. EVERYBODY is wishing him to be successful, but some, like me, question if he has the goods to be so. I'm sorry, he took a job in this business where it is win or be fired. He took a job knowing he is under the scrutiny of many. Nature of the beast.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Back last year about the time Sternberg was rejected, I made the comment that before DC loses his job we needed a new AD. Since that didn't occur and our second team President, McGinty was afforded the unenviable task of keeping thing "as they were"; we are "as we are".

Tommy B, is the man in charge. I don't get it, but the status quo remains. Perhaps when Bball tips off we'll have something to actually be proud of, yet the risk remains that Nance isn't himself and the program levels off to another .500 season and that skip in the record leaves us back to bitching again. I don't think that happens, but the fact remains we are a pretty pathetic D-1 program across the board and especially with the brand of football team we are currently fielding. Bohl is a realist, that is tough to stomach but he is telling the facts as they are. Damn it all.

So, is this a positive thread? Does it accomplish anything to change our direction? What can we do? I think the last question is the most important, and I am yet to hear a real answer that allows us the ability to raise our expectations to a better fortune. So, I will continue to watch us flounder and I guess that makes me accepting of a less than mediocre athletic department.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote: While people may not want Bohl fired (yet), there are a number of posters who have called for Stanard's firing.

Nice backtrack after an overly dramatic accusation :lol: . FYI, I'm not necessarily advocating firing Stanard now even though I don't think he is the guy for the job. However, I'm definitely advocating a short leash.

Please stop with the drama queen crap. Nobody is wishing him to be fired. EVERYBODY is wishing him to be successful, but some, like me, question if he has the goods to be so. I'm sorry, he took a job in this business where it is win or be fired. He took a job knowing he is under the scrutiny of many. Nature of the beast.
Spot on ragtimejoe1. Spot on.

I have not seen anyone asking or even suggesting Stanard be fired. It is ridiculous and it pisses me off that some non-Wyoming fan from Minnesota has gone that far to write such crap. As fans, it is within reason and our right to question things. I haven't said much about it, but I do question whether he made the right decision forcing the Tampa 2 on a group of kids that didn't fit with it. That's it. Sometimes you have to adapt your system to your players and what you have to work with. Did he do that? I would say no. But the jury is still out and we will wait to see how 2017 looks (which sucks, but here we are again rebuilding).

Further, most coaches get paid at a salary level that certainly compensates them for getting some heat. That is part of the job - or in my industry, it would be like "hazard pay". I would take more poop than imaginable if you paid me $400,000+ per year, let alone $750,000 or $1,200,000. They chose the path, they banked on what a 20 year old does on Saturdays for their livelihood, and they certainly are compensated well for it.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Right on mcpeach! Being in football sure beats a lot of jobs out there
W-Y, Until I Die!
BJC
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:

Spot on ragtimejoe1. Spot on.

:thumb:

I have not seen anyone asking or even suggesting Stanard be fired. It is ridiculous and it pisses me off that some non-Wyoming fan from Minnesota has gone that far to write such crap. As fans, it is within reason and our right to question things. I haven't said much about it, but I do question whether he made the right decision forcing the Tampa 2 on a group of kids that didn't fit with it. That's it. Sometimes you have to adapt your system to your players and what you have to work with. Did he do that? I would say no. But the jury is still out and we will wait to see how 2017 looks (which sucks, but here we are again rebuilding).

Further, most coaches get paid at a salary level that certainly compensates them for getting some heat. That is part of the job - or in my industry, it would be like "hazard pay". I would take more poop than imaginable if you paid me $400,000+ per year, let alone $750,000 or $1,200,000. They chose the path, they banked on what a 20 year old does on Saturdays for their livelihood, and they certainly are compensated well for it.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:I have not seen anyone asking or even suggesting Stanard be fired.
Just a few I've seen
hithere wrote:I hate Steve Stanard. There's a special place in my heart for how much I think his hiring was a colossal mistake. I will dump on him as an FBS DC every chance I get.
BeaverPoke wrote:If Bohl doesn't want to make changes to his OC and DC then we are going straight back to the Glenn years.
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Glenn was loyal to a fault; I hope Bohl isn't.
hithere wrote:I have chosen to refuse to give this man a chance. He does not deserve it. He is a terrible coach as shown in his teams' performances, statistics and types of places coached. He's Robin Ross. He is Bob Cole. He is filtered chaff that somehow keeps being swirled around the toilet bowls of the have-nots of FBS football.

Please, please, please if you wouldn't mind. Please give me something; x's and o's, personal anecdotes, tangible evidence, anything that might give me a sliver of hope that Steve Stanard could somehow bring any defensive unit that he's in charge of from god awful level to slightly mediocre. Because if all you have to offer is the mantra of waiting and being patient, you will have failed me. You will have failed me, internet stranger.

Steve Stanard is the worst.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times

joshvanklomp wrote:Everyone else around the country couldn't believe Wyoming got Bohl to come to Laramie, while the unsatisfied Poke faithful think they are too good for him. Something doesn't quite add up.
:rofl: Backtrack. Backtrack. And you are still wrong. Only one of those cited said to fire him now. Others said they hope Bohl isn't too loyal like Glenn.

Way to backtrack and try to latch on to something else to avoid embarrassment. You've failed both times.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
McPeachy wrote:I have not seen anyone asking or even suggesting Stanard be fired.
Just a few I've seen
hithere wrote:I hate Steve Stanard. There's a special place in my heart for how much I think his hiring was a colossal mistake. I will dump on him as an FBS DC every chance I get.
BeaverPoke wrote:If Bohl doesn't want to make changes to his OC and DC then we are going straight back to the Glenn years.
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Glenn was loyal to a fault; I hope Bohl isn't.
hithere wrote:I have chosen to refuse to give this man a chance. He does not deserve it. He is a terrible coach as shown in his teams' performances, statistics and types of places coached. He's Robin Ross. He is Bob Cole. He is filtered chaff that somehow keeps being swirled around the toilet bowls of the have-nots of FBS football.

Please, please, please if you wouldn't mind. Please give me something; x's and o's, personal anecdotes, tangible evidence, anything that might give me a sliver of hope that Steve Stanard could somehow bring any defensive unit that he's in charge of from god awful level to slightly mediocre. Because if all you have to offer is the mantra of waiting and being patient, you will have failed me. You will have failed me, internet stranger.

Steve Stanard is the worst.
You are reaching. You are in denial if you don't think the defense is the most underperforming, overmatched, embarrassing, and weakest link on this team thus far.

As I mentioned, not sure it was a wise decision for Stanard to force the Tampa 2 on a group of kids that didn't have the ability (athletically, mentally, attitude, etc.) to do it. A good coach adapts to what he has, and sets the players up to be successful. Guess we will see if he is all that, when 2017 rolls around.
Dear Karma,

joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:You are in denial if you don't think the defense is the most underperforming, overmatched, embarrassing, and weakest link on this team thus far.
I never said it wasn't.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
McPeachy wrote:You are in denial if you don't think the defense is the most underperforming, overmatched, embarrassing, and weakest link on this team thus far.
I never said it wasn't.
Yet you have a problem with others that call it like they see it (and like it is)? :roll:
Dear Karma,