Would you redshirt Josh Allen?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I could go either way with this question. Part of me says it'd be smart to sit him, but I think most of us thought the same thing last year about Brian Hill and he finished the season as a major contributor.

With how bad the spring game numbers look for the other two QBs behind him (combined 1-11 for 20 yards), I'm not sure we can afford to redshirt him.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

No. Other QBs will develop eventually. Hard to be impressed when the defense sat several key guys and played mostly freshman. I'd be worried if they didn't light the defense up.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Play the guy who gives you a chance to win. We are writing a book on the "Redshirt Senior" thing. I think you'll see Allen starting at some point. Play to win NOW. Let it sort itself out later.

Gentry says he has never caught a ball thrown harder than Allen.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I say start whoever is the best QB. However, if that is Coffman and you plan on riding him all season then sit Allen. If Coffman gets hurt or isn't getting the job done then you can burn Allen's shirt and play him. If not, then you have Allen for 3 years.

But above all else, play the better QB.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Play whoever is most ready. If it's Coffman, redshirt Allen unless Coffman gets hurt. If it's Allen, we'll have a reliable guy to step up if need be in Coffman.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

he did impress me on Saturday
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

The way that I look at it, what other QB could back-up Cam? No one right now, so he is definitely the #2 guy. I would be very surprised if Cam ends up playing every down, so someone will be called upon during a game and frankly I don't see how you can redshirt him. I would play both QB's during the year so Josh Allen is ready for next year even more. I would make sure that I recruited someone who is a person that has the ability to compete for the starting job next year and then sees who finishes better, Nick Smith or the new QB. Aaron Young would not be in my plans for the QB rotation.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Generally speaking I think you need to enter the season with the idea that you will red shirt him. It is somewhat of a gamble because you hope that Cam can make it through the year without missing substantial amounts of time. If he were to get hurt early in the year then yes I believe you should take the red shirt off of Josh and finish the year out strong. It is a balancing act between the two of them. I wouldn't want to see a half of year or even a full year wasted as a back up if in fact he is the franchise type of QB many people are predicting him to be. Young or Smith would be able to cover a few reps or even a game or two if Cam was not able to play. Just my 2cents however.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Just so you know, and I think most people already know this, Josh has a huge arm! He can toss it from the 25 yard line and throw it in the opposite end zone!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

You don't have to redshirt him NOW. You don't have to declare a redshirt. If you don't play, you don't lose a year of eligibility. If he gets in because cam gets hurt for a play or two, so be it. If Cam goes wire to wire, then Allen has an extra year. Frankly, playing half a qtr in blowout is just as good experience as sitting a year and only practicing.
W-Y, Until I Die!
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Slow Hand wrote:Generally speaking I think you need to enter the season with the idea that you will red shirt him. It is somewhat of a gamble because you hope that Cam can make it through the year without missing substantial amounts of time. If he were to get hurt early in the year then yes I believe you should take the red shirt off of Josh and finish the year out strong. It is a balancing act between the two of them. I wouldn't want to see a half of year or even a full year wasted as a back up if in fact he is the franchise type of QB many people are predicting him to be. Young or Smith would be able to cover a few reps or even a game or two if Cam was not able to play. Just my 2cents however.
I think you have to think of the other players on the team. Say Cam got through a half or even a little over a half of a season and gets hurt, and then you flush the rest of the season away just to keep a redshirt on Allen? I think that is totally unfair to players like Eddie Yarbrough that deserve to go out on a winning team if at all possible, to always be "building for the future" is fine if you are talking about Spring Ball, etc., but during the season you are out there to win each and every game, the rest of the team deserves it. I think it is wise to just go into the season planning on playing Josh Allen at some time, he would have another 2 full years and if he did get hurt himself he would still have the redshirt left. Aaron Young was totally overmatched on Saturday. He was unable to pass or throw with any type of effectiveness, and it has been the same throughout the whole Spring practice. Nick Smith at least was able to use his legs to get some positive yardage even though he was ineffective as a passer. To put either of these you men out there imo would be nothing more than resigning yourself to "next year". I truly feel that you need to think of the whole team and the effort and work that everyone has put in and what is on the line for them, if that means blowing a redshirt, so be it. The best scenario for everyone is that Wyoming wins all of their games with Cam at the helm and he never gets hurt....but you know how likely that scenario is!!!!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:Generally speaking I think you need to enter the season with the idea that you will red shirt him. It is somewhat of a gamble because you hope that Cam can make it through the year without missing substantial amounts of time. If he were to get hurt early in the year then yes I believe you should take the red shirt off of Josh and finish the year out strong. It is a balancing act between the two of them. I wouldn't want to see a half of year or even a full year wasted as a back up if in fact he is the franchise type of QB many people are predicting him to be. Young or Smith would be able to cover a few reps or even a game or two if Cam was not able to play. Just my 2cents however.
I think you have to think of the other players on the team. Say Cam got through a half or even a little over a half of a season and gets hurt, and then you flush the rest of the season away just to keep a redshirt on Allen? I think that is totally unfair to players like Eddie Yarbrough that deserve to go out on a winning team if at all possible, to always be "building for the future" is fine if you are talking about Spring Ball, etc., but during the season you are out there to win each and every game, the rest of the team deserves it. I think it is wise to just go into the season planning on playing Josh Allen at some time, he would have another 2 full years and if he did get hurt himself he would still have the redshirt left. Aaron Young was totally overmatched on Saturday. He was unable to pass or throw with any type of effectiveness, and it has been the same throughout the whole Spring practice. Nick Smith at least was able to use his legs to get some positive yardage even though he was ineffective as a passer. To put either of these you men out there imo would be nothing more than resigning yourself to "next year". I truly feel that you need to think of the whole team and the effort and work that everyone has put in and what is on the line for them, if that means blowing a redshirt, so be it. The best scenario for everyone is that Wyoming wins all of their games with Cam at the helm and he never gets hurt....but you know how likely that scenario is!!!!
Believe it or not....I think we agree. My point is that yes we need to use Allen if the need arises. But if it is just a quarter here and there I would say no, use one of the others providing Cam was to be able to come back. I concur in that it isn't just about the QBs. There are so many other people on this team that bleed and sweat everyday trying to achieve excellence.

One point I might add though, is a medical red shirt has nothing to do with a regular red shirt. A player can have multiple medical red shirt years if they meet the criteria set forth by the NCAA in addition to a "athletic red shirt."
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Slow Hand wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
Slow Hand wrote: One point I might add though, is a medical red shirt has nothing to do with a regular red shirt. A player can have multiple medical red shirt years if they meet the criteria set forth by the NCAA in addition to a "athletic red shirt."
This is mostly accurate. A "medical redshirt" or technically a medical hardship waiver, can be granted by the NCAA if the athlete meets the appropriate criteria and has sufficient documentation. Generally, these are used in place of a normal redshirt in situations where the athlete plays and was injured very early in the season. There are very rare occasions where they are used on someone who has already used a normal redshirt in their career, are injured, and are granted a 6th year to compete. The most they could ever attempt to use a medical hardship is twice; and odds are the NCAA would turn them down the second time.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

WestWYOPoke wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
Slow Hand wrote: One point I might add though, is a medical red shirt has nothing to do with a regular red shirt. A player can have multiple medical red shirt years if they meet the criteria set forth by the NCAA in addition to a "athletic red shirt."
This is mostly accurate. A "medical redshirt" or technically a medical hardship waiver, can be granted by the NCAA if the athlete meets the appropriate criteria and has sufficient documentation. Generally, these are used in place of a normal redshirt in situations where the athlete plays and was injured very early in the season. There are very rare occasions where they are used on someone who has already used a normal redshirt in their career, are injured, and are granted a 6th year to compete. The most they could ever attempt to use a medical hardship is twice; and odds are the NCAA would turn them down the second time.
I concur. When I say multiple I mean two.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

WestWYOPoke wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:

Another point worth noting is that an athlete never knows if they will receive a Medical Hardship until after the fact (the season). So it is somewhat of a gamble.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Slow Hand wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:

Another point worth noting is that an athlete never knows if they will receive a Medical Hardship until after the fact (the season). So it is somewhat of a gamble.
Very true. In some situations it isn't terrible because the athlete may be applying to get their junior year back knowing either way they have at least 1 year left. But some are trying to get that last year back and with one letter find out that their playing career is over.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Slow Hand wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:

I am not mixing a redshirt and a medical hardship. What I am talking about is, say that he plays next year and doesn't use his redshirt, and then he plays as a junior and gets hurt, he would still have that redshirt in his back pocket so he doesn't lose a year. If he did use his redshirt next year and then gets hurt in another year, the medical redshirt would be his only recourse and I would prefer not to rely upon the medical hardship to get a year unless you have to. A medical hardship is a different program from what I am talking about. I am aware that you can't have played too much and it would have to be a serious enough injury that it took your season away, etc., etc. and in the end even though there are some guidelines it does sometimes come down to an arbitrary decision by the NCAA.

Think about this scenario. What happens if Cam is the starter of course, but that you use Josh on a regular basis to come in and play? How valuable would that actual game experience be for Josh if you are not jeopardizing the winning of the game in getting Josh ready in case Cam does get hurt and how much would it help Josh to prepare for the following year? I am not one that believes that you have to ride one horse the whole way, that is why you have a stable of QB's.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:

I am not mixing a redshirt and a medical hardship. What I am talking about is, say that he plays next year and doesn't use his redshirt, and then he plays as a junior and gets hurt, he would still have that redshirt in his back pocket so he doesn't lose a year. If he did use his redshirt next year and then gets hurt in another year, the medical redshirt would be his only recourse and I would prefer not to rely upon the medical hardship to get a year unless you have to. A medical hardship is a different program from what I am talking about. I am aware that you can't have played too much and it would have to be a serious enough injury that it took your season away, etc., etc. and in the end even though there are some guidelines it does sometimes come down to an arbitrary decision by the NCAA.

Think about this scenario. What happens if Cam is the starter of course, but that you use Josh on a regular basis to come in and play? How valuable would that actual game experience be for Josh if you are not jeopardizing the winning of the game in getting Josh ready in case Cam does get hurt and how much would it help Josh to prepare for the following year? I am not one that believes that you have to ride one horse the whole way, that is why you have a stable of QB's.
It doesn't work that way unfortunately. Once you step foot on the field, you can not redshirt for that year, regardless of if he were to get injured. In that situation, he would still need to apply to the NCAA for a medical hardship waiver. Having never used a normal redshirt, he would probably get the waiver, but again it's not guaranteed.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Let us not forget that Allen could give us the best chance to win this year. I don't think Bohl tries him for the first half of the year regardless
W-Y, Until I Die!