Which recruit are you most excited about?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

So we have our 22 for sure, potentially more to come.

Which recruit(s) are you most excited about and why? Who do you think, besides a quarterback, has the best chance of making an immediate impact?

Personally, I'm am most excited about Jennings and think he could play right away, also mayfield could be big right away.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Brian Hill.

I think he is a bigger and faster version of Sam Ojuri, who thrived in Bohl's offense. He might not play right away, but I think he will have a big impact down the road.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Jennings or Vega. I really think we stole Vega, I think we should move him inside with his strength and wrestling background. Jackson off the edge could be special someday, and I really Alex Bush but we're deep at LB.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

I think Hill will be good too. We have a lot of running backs behind Wick, that competition will be interesting between Stover, may, hill, tapscott, and Evans
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

gopokes1399 wrote:I think Hill will be good too. We have a lot of running backs behind Wick, that competition will be interesting between Stover, may, hill, tapscott, and Evans
And Wick was behind May until May got hurt. Good depth and they are all young.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 222 times

I'll go with Malauulu. He has great size and pairing him with Olive at the DT position could lead to what we have lacked since the days of Unrein and Fletcher.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I'm just excited the tight end position is back. I could pick any of those guys. If I have to chose one tight end, Jacob Hollister. He's got great wheels and athleticism for a tight end.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
YankPoke
Cowpoke

Most excited about: Brian Hill
Contribute right away: QB Young, TE, 2-3 of this class minimum, DE Jackson and or Vega will be immediately in the rotation IMO, DB possibly Jennings
mwc fan
Cowpoke

JimmyDimes wrote:
gopokes1399 wrote:I think Hill will be good too. We have a lot oremember nning backs behind Wick, that competition will be interesting between Stover, may, hill, tapscott, and Evans
And Wick was behind May until May got hurt. Good depth and they are all young.
Stover, Wick and May were all listed as ones after spring ball. May never was a lone #1 last spring. Miller was the #1 going into Fall camp until Wick showed up looking beastly with his new size. I'm most excited to see that LB Alex Bush. He could get some playing time. I actually see Brian Hill playing at safety. Watch for Tapscott as he is ready to contribute after his redshirt year and should do well in this offense. If they keep Hill at RB him and Evans will likely redshirt. They both need a year to put on muscle.
Wyodawg12
Buckaroo

Tough, smart, linebackers, that will learn fast and lay the wood! I'm not conceding to Oregon. I know the staff will teach a great scheme and if our guys can stay in their lanes, cover their zones, swarm tackle, and make them hurt every time their receivers touch the ball, we can just maybe pull out a shocking win. Bad Ass football!
dapokes
Ranch Hand

I see a common theme of 'potential' that Coach Bohl praised a lot of these guys.

That being said, I see HUGE potential for Jackson. I really was happy with his film and the constant disruption he created. Plus he was athletic enough to play WR??!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

All good choices, so far. Obviously, QB is a very important position and I like the video I've seen of Nick Smith. He has a nice release and good arm strength (which will only get better as he matures). For 6'4", he looks pretty athletic. Bohl mentioned in the press conference that people rave about Smith's leadership skills -- also very important. Looking forward to seeing where he's at at the end of fall camp in comparison to Young and Thornton.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 119 times

I reserve selection of favorite recruit until minimum Fall 2016.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I know he won't play for at least a year or two, but Bettencourt, the o-linemen from Idaho, looks like a pretty viscious blocker. The kind of guy that bulldozes defenders with a lot of aggression. In his highlight reel, it looks like he even clotheslines a player.
IllFBFan
Buckaroo

I'm from Belleville IL and know Brian Hill personally, (coached him). I'm always lurking around message boards and found this one.

Let me just tell you guys that you found a diamond in the rough. Some posters in another thread were asking why some Big 10 or 12 schools didn't offer him. He was a little bit of a late bloomer. His Jr. year he played outside linebacker in a 3-4 and running back. He was a really good high school running back and just a good (Better than average) OLB his Jr. year but his senior year he became a dominant force at RB/WR and a very very good Safety. He was THE hardest worker on the team and his team plays in arguably the BEST conference in the St. Louis Metro area. Edwardsville, East St. Louis, Belleville East, O'Fallon and Belleville West are all some of the top teams in the STL area year in and year out.

Brian dominated the conference on both sides of the ball this past year. DOMINATED.

I really think Brian could develop into a top notch NFL type safety if he was put there and developed. He has prototype size for a thumper at SS. BUT, he has the ability to be a top notch RB as well. He's got the size, physicality and speed to be a very very productive running back.

Bigger schools didn't recruit him as much because he burst onto the scene his senior year. He was getting looks from Indiana State and EIU, Western Illinois after his junior year and started getting looks from bigger schools like Michigan State, Purdue this year, but I think they saw an guy that was an athlete more than someone that would have fit what they thought a specific role at RB or SS.

I really think Illinois, Mizzou and other area schools really missed out on Hill. He could have easily played in the Big 10 or 12 or even the SEC. Don't get me started on U of I. They suck year in and year out and I believe it's because they don't do well recruiting in their own state. The big time recruits go to bigger programs not U of I and when they go on to recruit "lower tiered" recruits, they miss a TON of talent from their own state. How they missed out on B. Hill is beyond me. I actually thought he'd turn them down cause he'd have better options. Just goes to show you how the folks doing the recruiting make mistakes, big mistakes, all the time.

I've personally seen kids that aren't half the players he is get bigger offers. These college coaches don't do their homework sometimes. I've seen kids with massive off the field issues that couldn't hold Hill's jock get full rides to bigger schools. Great players slip through the cracks all of the time. Just FYI he is PUMPED to be going to Wyoming and even though I'm pointing out that other schools missed out on him, I don't think Brian even thinks about it like that. He has always just worked his tail off and known if he did, he'd get an opportunity. You guys gave it to him and he is as excited to be a Cowboy as he would have going anywhere else.

Which brings me to my next point. He is a very high character kid. He is a football guy (lives and breathes it). You will not have to worry about him getting into any trouble off of the field and he works hard in the classroom too (never any eligibility issues). I can't say enough about how good of a kid he is. He's always seen himself as an athlete first. He doesn't get wrapped up in the off the field BS. We live in a fairly rough area where the temptation to get into trouble can be great, but Hill always stayed away from that stuff. Don't let the dreads and intimidating looks fool you, he is one of the nicest kids you'll meet. He will fit in anywhere!

I really think Wyoming would be a great environment for him as well.

A little tidbit you guys might like. He was being recruited by NDSU partly because his cousin Pierre Gee-Tucker (also a BW player and LB) signed with them last year. They then started looking at other kids in the program and Hill was a no-brainer. So when Bohl left for Wyoming Hill was still on his radar and hadn't signed with anyone yet. His cousin Pierre is another kid that I felt slipped through the cracks. He will be a GREAT player for NDSU and easily would have been a stud LB at a bigger school. He played there as a true freshman this past season.

They are both great players and kids too.

Anyway, you can tell i'm a big Brian Hill fan and now a Wyoming fan too! :D

For those of you saying you are most excited about Brian Hill, you should be, he is going to be a beast for you guys. The scary thing is that he still has a TON of untapped potential. He will get bigger and stronger in the weight room and he will only get better every year. So coach him up, and let him develop and you guys are going to have a good one for years to come!!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I am familiar with that area and I know that is a tough, tough conference and football area that is overlooked in recruiting a lot. I am very excited to have Brian here at Wyoming.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

IllFBFan, those are some nice comments. Glad to hear that he's a good kid to go along with being a hard-nosed football player. When Bohl flew out to Wyoming to be introduced as the new HC, one thing he promised was that Wyoming will "knock the snot out of opponents" under his watch. Sounds like Brian will fit the mold (RB or safety).

I'm sure the new Wyoming staff will work your area hard moving forward looking for "diamonds in the rough". Rest assured, Brian will be in good hands in a good environment at Wyoming.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

IllFBFan wrote:I'm from Belleville IL and know Brian Hill personally, (coached him). I'm always lurking around message boards and found this one.

Let me just tell you guys that you found a diamond in the rough. Some posters in another thread were asking why some Big 10 or 12 schools didn't offer him. He was a little bit of a late bloomer. His Jr. year he played outside linebacker in a 3-4 and running back. He was a really good high school running back and just a good (Better than average) OLB his Jr. year but his senior year he became a dominant force at RB/WR and a very very good Safety. He was THE hardest worker on the team and his team plays in arguably the BEST conference in the St. Louis Metro area. Edwardsville, East St. Louis, Belleville East, O'Fallon and Belleville West are all some of the top teams in the STL area year in and year out.

Brian dominated the conference on both sides of the ball this past year. DOMINATED.

I really think Brian could develop into a top notch NFL type safety if he was put there and developed. He has prototype size for a thumper at SS. BUT, he has the ability to be a top notch RB as well. He's got the size, physicality and speed to be a very very productive running back.

Bigger schools didn't recruit him as much because he burst onto the scene his senior year. He was getting looks from Indiana State and EIU, Western Illinois after his junior year and started getting looks from bigger schools like Michigan State, Purdue this year, but I think they saw an guy that was an athlete more than someone that would have fit what they thought a specific role at RB or SS.

I really think Illinois, Mizzou and other area schools really missed out on Hill. He could have easily played in the Big 10 or 12 or even the SEC. Don't get me started on U of I. They suck year in and year out and I believe it's because they don't do well recruiting in their own state. The big time recruits go to bigger programs not U of I and when they go on to recruit "lower tiered" recruits, they miss a TON of talent from their own state. How they missed out on B. Hill is beyond me. I actually thought he'd turn them down cause he'd have better options. Just goes to show you how the folks doing the recruiting make mistakes, big mistakes, all the time.

I've personally seen kids that aren't half the players he is get bigger offers. These college coaches don't do their homework sometimes. I've seen kids with massive off the field issues that couldn't hold Hill's jock get full rides to bigger schools. Great players slip through the cracks all of the time. Just FYI he is PUMPED to be going to Wyoming and even though I'm pointing out that other schools missed out on him, I don't think Brian even thinks about it like that. He has always just worked his tail off and known if he did, he'd get an opportunity. You guys gave it to him and he is as excited to be a Cowboy as he would have going anywhere else.

Which brings me to my next point. He is a very high character kid. He is a football guy (lives and breathes it). You will not have to worry about him getting into any trouble off of the field and he works hard in the classroom too (never any eligibility issues). I can't say enough about how good of a kid he is. He's always seen himself as an athlete first. He doesn't get wrapped up in the off the field BS. We live in a fairly rough area where the temptation to get into trouble can be great, but Hill always stayed away from that stuff. Don't let the dreads and intimidating looks fool you, he is one of the nicest kids you'll meet. He will fit in anywhere!

I really think Wyoming would be a great environment for him as well.

A little tidbit you guys might like. He was being recruited by NDSU partly because his cousin Pierre Gee-Tucker (also a BW player and LB) signed with them last year. They then started looking at other kids in the program and Hill was a no-brainer. So when Bohl left for Wyoming Hill was still on his radar and hadn't signed with anyone yet. His cousin Pierre is another kid that I felt slipped through the cracks. He will be a GREAT player for NDSU and easily would have been a stud LB at a bigger school. He played there as a true freshman this past season.

They are both great players and kids too.

Anyway, you can tell i'm a big Brian Hill fan and now a Wyoming fan too! :D

For those of you saying you are most excited about Brian Hill, you should be, he is going to be a beast for you guys. The scary thing is that he still has a TON of untapped potential. He will get bigger and stronger in the weight room and he will only get better every year. So coach him up, and let him develop and you guys are going to have a good one for years to come!!
Glad to hear from somebody who actually knows about the kid and has seen him play. Hope to see you around here once the season starts - I think we generally have a great group of fans here from all walks of life.

I'm curious if you know: I was a bit skeptical when I saw his reported 40 time. 4.34 is VERY fast for a guy his size. Do you have any idea how accurate that actually is? We've had a few speedsters here, like Robert Herron (likely 4th round guy coming up) and Devin Moore (had a brief stint with Colts). Both were a step quicker than 4.34, but they were also 20 lbs lighter and a few inches shorter as college seniors! Both of them had a big impact on the team... I can't even begin to imagine what an impact they would've had with the same speed and another 30-40 lbs.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I think Hill could make an impact at Safety sooner then at Rb. The RB talent pool is really deep and he will probably red shirt at that position. Now if he played well at safety over the fall he might get on the field, since that was a glaring weakness the last few years. Happy to have Hill on the team. Seems like a great fit for the program.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Yep....and with 3 former Pokes playing Safety in the NFL, it is a good position to play while at Wyoming.