2014 QB Battle

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!

Who starts at QB on opening day?

#11 Colby Kirkegaard RS-SR
26%
#15 Nick Smith* FR
18%
#14 T.J. Patterson RS-FR
No votes
#13 Tom Thorton SO
8%
#12 Aaron Young SO
49%
#16 Austin Fort* FR
No votes

Total votes: 39
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

LasCrucesPoke wrote:We 'be had two kids start as freshman in the last 5 years. I don't see it as that far fetched. I'm rooting for Sam. I just wonder if they're seeing what they want from them or they're just leaders by default. Smith in particular is protypical west coast QB. All he's gotta do is make 20 throws a game and hand the bowl off to DJ and Shaun. I just wouldn't right it off so easily.
Yes, but those two freshmen QB's started under a different HC and under a very different and much less complicated offensive system. Frankly Sam is probably the least like what you would be expecting to see in a pro-style QB. He was recruited to a spread offense and that is what his height and mobility is best suited to. I have nothing against Sam in any way shape or form, in fact I think he is one hell of a Wyoming Cowboy...but in all honesty he is far from what you would be looking for in a pro-style QB. There is a reason why they want tall QB's and that is because they need to see over the linemen instead having to look through splits in the OL and pass through those splits like shorter QB's would have to do. Heck I played OL in HS because I was too short and slow to play any other position, and I have received the "horrible" news that I wasn't cut out to be a WR or RB....we all have to realize that we can't all be the QB.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
LasCrucesPoke wrote:We 'be had two kids start as freshman in the last 5 years. I don't see it as that far fetched. I'm rooting for Sam. I just wonder if they're seeing what they want from them or they're just leaders by default. Smith in particular is protypical west coast QB. All he's gotta do is make 20 throws a game and hand the bowl off to DJ and Shaun. I just wouldn't right it off so easily.
Yes, but those two freshmen QB's started under a different HC and under a very different and much less complicated offensive system. Frankly Sam is probably the least like what you would be expecting to see in a pro-style QB. He was recruited to a spread offense and that is what his height and mobility is best suited to. I have nothing against Sam in any way shape or form, in fact I think he is one hell of a Wyoming Cowboy...but in all honesty he is far from what you would be looking for in a pro-style QB. There is a reason why they want tall QB's and that is because they need to see over the linemen instead having to look through splits in the OL and pass through those splits like shorter QB's would have to do. Heck I played OL in HS because I was too short and slow to play any other position, and I have received the "horrible" news that I wasn't cut out to be a WR or RB....we all have to realize that we can't all be the QB.
Actually, the West Coast offense that Bohl runs is far less QB centric than the spread. It's more about the QB not making stupid TOs and hitting the open guy on play action, and occassionally throwing outside of that. Otherwise, the QB turns and hands the ball off the designated ball carrier.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:I'm pulling for Stratton! What a great story that would be and talk about a deserving player!

I was basically laughed at when I suggested that Stratton would be a great candidate next year after it was announced Jason Thompson was leaving. Let's face it, we have seen Kirkegaard's skill set and he is not the answer IMO.
I wonder if Kirkgaard was put in a position to succeed with DC. We all know DC likes his guys and both Smith and Thompson were getting most if not all reps up until the time Colby was forced into action....even if we was labeled the 2nd team guy.

He may be better than we think with proper coaching....but I think the entire team will be better with better coaching.
You could be right! Our last staff certainly struggled turning a talented roster into execution and wins. (A non-bcs team, with a weak schedule, that has 3 draft picks including the QB, but failed to qualify for a bowl game ). Although, I was judging Kirkegaard less on execution and more as to what his throwing ability appeared to be.

If Kirkegaard ends up being the guy and can lead the team to wins, then I will be behind him too.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
Actually, the West Coast offense that Bohl runs is far less QB centric than the spread. It's more about the QB not making stupid TOs and hitting the open guy on play action, and occassionally throwing outside of that. Otherwise, the QB turns and hands the ball off the designated ball carrier.
This is what I'm thinking. This offense is less complicated for the QB than the one we just abandoned, not more. In fact, our offense the last few years was ONLY our QB.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
This is what I'm thinking. This offense is less complicated for the QB than the one we just abandoned, not more. In fact, our offense the last few years was ONLY our QB.
If it is less, why aren't Colby, Sam and Aaron doing better? In listening to Coach Bohl there are a lot more reads than you make it seem, and he himself says that it is really complicated, so it doesn't sound like he agrees with your assessment. In DC's offenses, there were just acouple of reads and the QB had to get rid of the ball or run with it. It was a pretty fast paced offense so the QB was expected to get rid of the ball quickly. The OL job is a lot more difficult in Coach Bohl's offense with a lot more reads, and the QB has to be knowing what his offensive linemen are supposed to be doing. Our offense the last few years depended upon Brett a whole bunch because he was that type of athlete and his WR's were unable to get open much of this last year at certain times. DC's offense was fairly simple if you think about it, the OL was fairly simple in their blocking schemes (already discussed in earlier articles) and the WR's all they had to do was run to a spot and basically turn around (also already discussed in an earlier article). There wasn't a great deal of sophistication. Coach Bohl's offense is MUCH more grounded on blocking schemes and everyone has to know what those are, so I would say that all of the articles by Coach Bohl and the RB's and OL's that have been interviewed contradict your assessment that Bohl's offense as far as the QB is concerned is simpler.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
If it is less, why aren't Colby, Sam and Aaron doing better? In listening to Coach Bohl there are a lot more reads than you make it seem, and he himself says that it is really complicated, so it doesn't sound like he agrees with your assessment. In DC's offenses, there were just acouple of reads and the QB had to get rid of the ball or run with it. It was a pretty fast paced offense so the QB was expected to get rid of the ball quickly. The OL job is a lot more difficult in Coach Bohl's offense with a lot more reads, and the QB has to be knowing what his offensive linemen are supposed to be doing. Our offense the last few years depended upon Brett a whole bunch because he was that type of athlete and his WR's were unable to get open much of this last year at certain times. DC's offense was fairly simple if you think about it, the OL was fairly simple in their blocking schemes (already discussed in earlier articles) and the WR's all they had to do was run to a spot and basically turn around (also already discussed in an earlier article). There wasn't a great deal of sophistication. Coach Bohl's offense is MUCH more grounded on blocking schemes and everyone has to know what those are, so I would say that all of the articles by Coach Bohl and the RB's and OL's that have been interviewed contradict your assessment that Bohl's offense as far as the QB is concerned is simpler.
Deep breaths, I can tell you're getting all riled up. Not a big deal.

I think you're correct, the blocking and routes were probably less complicated in Christensen's offense...which means if the o-line didn't have to make reads and the WRs didn't have to make reads...the entire defense was being read by one person. Brett. He had to make reads even when we handed the ball off.

This offense when we hand the ball off, all the QB has to do is remember where to meet the RB. So if our run/pass ratio is 50/50...that's already half the amount of reads that Brett had to make in a game. Not taking into account less snaps.

If last year's offense was a piece of cake and anybody could have ran it, we wouldn't have been so petrified of Brett getting hurt again.

Maybe we are talking about two different things. Is judging how complicated an offense is different than judging how QB-centric an offense is? Either way, we're going to be very disappointed if we compare the stats of this year's QB to the stats of Brett. They aren't even going to be close, even when the new guy plays well.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Last years offense was so simple that we made Fresno State's awful defense look like the steel curtain.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

LasCrucesPoke wrote:Last years offense was so simple that we made Fresno State's awful defense look like the steel curtain.
Awful and incredibly predictable.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I am pretty darn impressed by Strattons performance. I thought he was done playing any skill spot because of the knee issues. I also thought Bohl was just giving him a shot at qb for poop and giggles. How wrong I was. Sam is an incredible athlete and a prototype leader. I'm hoping he can be our version of a Johnny Manzel. Now I know thats a tall order, but if he can make all the throws and make the right decisions in game time situations, then im behind him all the way. This could be a great story if Sam comes out as our starting Qb. Im just impressed by this guy.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I saw all I needed to see out of Kirkegaard against Cal-Poly. If he is the starter, we are in for a long, long season.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

SDPokeFan wrote:I saw all I needed to see out of Kirkegaard against Cal-Poly. If he is the starter, we are in for a long, long season.
I see where you are coming from since that was the worst loss I can remember.....only against a FCS team. But we also need to remember Kolby wasn't getting first team reps....most likely 3rd team reps.....with the old coaching staff.

I think Colby can be efficient and control this offense. He doesn't need to be Brett Smith.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

SDPokeFan wrote:I saw all I needed to see out of Kirkegaard against Cal-Poly. If he is the starter, we are in for a long, long season.
I'm with SDPF on this one. I cringe every time I think about him holding the reigns to the offense. I hope that he can change my mind with his play in this new offense, but what we've seen so far has been awful.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

That was a year and a half ago. I'd like to think that he has at least developed a little since then. Granted DC wasn't known for his player development, but I have to think at least a little took place. I'll reserve my judgement until I actually see Captain Kirk play.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy

JimmyDimes wrote:I think Colby can be efficient and control this offense. He doesn't need to be Brett Smith.
I don't know, man!

By the way people are talking now, we need someone way better than Smith to handle an offense like this and that Brett was merely a system quarterback throwing to spots.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:I think Colby can be efficient and control this offense. He doesn't need to be Brett Smith.
I don't know, man!

By the way people are talking now, we need someone way better than Smith to handle an offense like this and that Brett was merely a system quarterback throwing to spots.
I don't know who you are talking about, but if you are suggesting that it was me that is incredibly misrepresenting what I said. I NEVER used the word "merely" and I would NEVER use that word in the same sentence with Brett Smith. If you listen to the interview that acouple of the WR's had given I just repeated what they said (about running to spots), I wasn't making anything up like you did in this post. They said that they had to just run to spots and turn and basically the ball would be delivered. Brett is an INCREDIBLE athlete, and maybe you use the word "merely" in discussing him but I don't. Brett was given a fairly large amount of leeway in what he did out on the field and much of the offense was predicated upon him making it happen, alone sometimes. Where did you ever get the idea that we needed "someone way better than Smith to handle an offense like this"? That was totally something that you appeared to have made up because I haven't read it out of anyone but you! Bohl's offense is a more complicated offense than what DC had, that impression is supported by statements that came from several players and Coach Bohl himself speaking about how complicated his offense is.

I guess it makes you feel good to make things up about what others say, but frankly if that is what it takes for you to be right in your mind then you are not a very honest person intellectually. Talking about reading into what others say, that is what you did, if you are speaking about me. You seem to know more than Coach Bohl and the Wyoming players that have been interviewed about the differences between the old system and the new system. I am basing my statements totally on what is being said by these people, you are basing your statements on what? I guess stuff that you just make up sounding like you are so much more knowledgable than the coaches and players at Wyoming now.
theman12
Buckaroo

If one of the freshman are able to learn the offense in the fall it's no contest. Bohl is used to winning. He's gonna play the most talented player and the 2 most talented QB's aren't on campus yet
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

PotatoCreekPete wrote:I don't know who you are talking about, but if you are suggesting that it was me that is incredibly misrepresenting what I said. I NEVER used the word "merely" and I would NEVER use that word in the same sentence with Brett Smith. If you listen to the interview that acouple of the WR's had given I just repeated what they said (about running to spots), I wasn't making anything up like you did in this post. They said that they had to just run to spots and turn and basically the ball would be delivered. Brett is an INCREDIBLE athlete, and maybe you use the word "merely" in discussing him but I don't. Brett was given a fairly large amount of leeway in what he did out on the field and much of the offense was predicated upon him making it happen, alone sometimes. Where did you ever get the idea that we needed "someone way better than Smith to handle an offense like this"? That was totally something that you appeared to have made up because I haven't read it out of anyone but you! Bohl's offense is a more complicated offense than what DC had, that impression is supported by statements that came from several players and Coach Bohl himself speaking about how complicated his offense is.

I guess it makes you feel good to make things up about what others say, but frankly if that is what it takes for you to be right in your mind then you are not a very honest person intellectually. Talking about reading into what others say, that is what you did, if you are speaking about me. You seem to know more than Coach Bohl and the Wyoming players that have been interviewed about the differences between the old system and the new system. I am basing my statements totally on what is being said by these people, you are basing your statements on what? I guess stuff that you just make up sounding like you are so much more knowledgable than the coaches and players at Wyoming now.
You sure start a lot of poop on this board. I think you have nailed down and gone after at least half of the members here. Do you have a hidden agenda or something? Why are you so uptight and quick to jump at everyone? If it isn't one thing, it is another. And I certainly don't agree with everyone and every post, but I have learned to avoid bashing people and making personal attacks over time. You should too.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

PotatoCreekPete wrote: I guess it makes you feel good to make things up about what others say, but frankly if that is what it takes for you to be right in your mind then you are not a very honest person intellectually.
I usually don't read long heated posts/rants and don't want to get involved; but what does this even mean? I presume that it means that you believe BackHarlowRoad is not being honest about his own intellectual capabilities.