2014 QB Battle

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!

Who starts at QB on opening day?

#11 Colby Kirkegaard RS-SR
26%
#15 Nick Smith* FR
18%
#14 T.J. Patterson RS-FR
No votes
#13 Tom Thorton SO
8%
#12 Aaron Young SO
49%
#16 Austin Fort* FR
No votes

Total votes: 39
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Bohl made it known today that no QB has separated himself from the pack....as all of them are still absorbing the playbook.

That won't stop us from speculating. Come August 30th, 2014....vs. Montana....who starts at QB for the Wyoming Cowboys? The candidates are....

#15 Nick Smith* FR
#14 T.J. Patterson RS-FR
#13 Tom Thorton SO
#12 Aaron Young SO
#16 Austin Fort* FR

*Notes player who will not arrive until fall camp

Keep in mind we're just speculating....we did this a few years back and most (including me) had Pittser penciled in as the starter....and we couldn't have possibly been more wrong. Still....its the off-season....speculate away.

My shot in the dark: I think Colby Kirkegaard gets the nod on opening day, but eventually concedes the spot to Nick Smith at some point in the season.

Your turn.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:Bohl made it known today that no QB has separated himself from the pack....as all of them are still absorbing the playbook.

That won't stop us from speculating. Come August 30th, 2014....vs. Montana....who starts at QB for the Wyoming Cowboys? The candidates are....

#15 Nick Smith* FR
#14 T.J. Patterson RS-FR
#13 Tom Thorton SO
#12 Aaron Young SO
#16 Austin Fort* FR

*Notes player who will not arrive until fall camp

Keep in mind we're just speculating....we did this a few years back and most (including me) had Pittser penciled in as the starter....and we couldn't have possibly been more wrong. Still....its the off-season....speculate away.

My shot in the dark: I think Colby Kirkegaard gets the nod on opening day, but eventually concedes the spot to Nick Smith at some point in the season.

Your turn.
I kind of like the idea of the QB job staying in the "Smith family".....Nick taking over for his "older cousin" (TIC) Brett. In all seriousness, I have no doubt that Vigen and Bohl are looking for a QB to distance himself from the rest, and it just isn't happening as yet. It still is very early that is for sure, but most of these guys have been back-ups, so it really is the battle of the back-ups right now. The one unknown is Aaron Young and who knows he might win the job in the end, but it might be out of default more than anything. I am wondering somewhat about Young as when we look back on it, we had just lost Thompson and Young jumps into the picture and I think that we were all excited to have someone that wanted to be part of Cowboy football. I am just asking the question, was it maybe a QB that was just really selling himself a lot with Young? We all know that will only go so far, and even though we read the report of him having a strong arm and throwing the ball with a lot of zip, we all know there is a lot more than just being able to do that. The QB has to be a leader and respected by his fellow players......who will be the leader?
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I voted for Aaron Young, but if Pete Thomas transfers here I'm changing my vote.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

Is Stratton going to be QB?
W-Y, Until I Die!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:Is Stratton going to be QB?
He's practicing at QB.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Cowboy Junky wrote:I voted for Aaron Young, but if Pete Thomas transfers here I'm changing my vote.
I just heard the Pete Thomas situation is going to happen, but wont be here until summer. I say Kirk until PT shows up. Young close behind Kirk.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

mwc fan wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:I voted for Aaron Young, but if Pete Thomas transfers here I'm changing my vote.
I just heard the Pete Thomas situation is going to happen, but wont be here until summer. I say Kirk until PT shows up. Young close behind Kirk.
If Thomas can earn the starting job with only Fall practice in, fine. But I'll still keep my reservations on his abilities until proven otherwise.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 47 times

If I had to take a shot in the dark, I'd put my money on Kirkegaard.

I know the thought of Kirkegaard as our starting QB will make a lot of people cringe, but I really do believe he would surprise people. His skill set is a terrible match for what was asked of the QB under Christensen, but he is not as bad of a QB as his limited performances would indicate.

I'm not saying the guy would set the world on fire, but I do think he would exceed most fans expectations…partly because the expectations would be so low. At the very least, I believe he will be a contender for that starting spot until the very end.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote:
mwc fan wrote:
If Thomas can earn the starting job with only Fall practice in, fine. But I'll still keep my reservations on his abilities until proven otherwise.
Where'd you hear/see/read that?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

I think captain k will start most of season and someone else will get a shot as our season hits the poop
W-Y, Until I Die!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

+1
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

kdwrightuwyo wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
mwc fan wrote:
Did you mean to quote mwcfan?
CampWyo
Buckaroo

fromolwyoming wrote:
kdwrightuwyo wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
mwc fan wrote:
Did you mean to quote mwcfan?
I know it may seem like Thomas is the answer, but I don't remember him being all that great. If a big body is all it takes then most of the QB's in the NFL draft wouldn't be anything.

From Thomas' tape, he's got an awfully long and slow release. IDK. He's reached his ceiling skill wise, and he has to learn the offense and the players starting in summer. It may seem the deed, but I think it could actually make one of the other guys step his game up a notch or two and beat him out in fall camp.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Why are you telling ME that? Ever since this rumor started about Thomas coming here, I was one of the first saying that despite his experience, he is not very good. If he can prove me wrong, and be at least a good game manager, I'll take back what I said. Until proven otherwise though, some people on here are hopping a trainwreck that we caused back in 2010 (44-0 ring a bell anyone?).
CampWyo
Buckaroo

fromolwyoming wrote:Why are you telling ME that? Ever since this rumor started about Thomas coming here, I was one of the first saying that despite his experience, he is not very good. If he can prove me wrong, and be at least a good game manager, I'll take back what I said. Until proven otherwise though, some people on here are hopping a trainwreck that we caused back in 2010 (44-0 ring a bell anyone?).
My bad! I didn't mean to tag you personally. I'm new and didn't know how to post so I just tagged the last to comment.
CampWyo
Buckaroo

laxwyo wrote:I think captain k will start most of season and someone else will get a shot as our season hits the poop
Where did you get that great profile picture? Gosh, that is outstanding! :D
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

LOL This is why I posted this topic......nobody really has any idea if we're being honest. All we can do is hope that someone stands out in a positive way like Brett Smith did. I just hope its not Colby.....not cause I hate him or anything, nothing personal.....it just seems like if he gets the starting job....they gave it to him based purely on seniority and "experience". If he gets the job, IMO....its cause nobody separated themselves.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

I quoted the wrong post in my excited state. Lol. Where/when did whoever hear/see/read that Petey was heading to Wyo? I've heard that it's all rumor, and that it started here.
CampWyo
Buckaroo

J-Rod wrote:LOL This is why I posted this topic......nobody really has any idea if we're being honest. All we can do is hope that someone stands out in a positive way like Brett Smith did. I just hope its not Colby.....not cause I hate him or anything, nothing personal.....it just seems like if he gets the starting job....they gave it to him based purely on seniority and "experience". If he gets the job, IMO....its cause nobody separated themselves.
I would hate to see Young be a bust. It looks like he has skill and upside, and if he can't beat out the current crop then where does that leave him. It seems they would want to build from their recruiting class after this season.

If Young doesn't beat out Thomas, then Nick Smith would probably need to red shirt and save his eligibility and hope the coaches give him the nod over Young next season.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

Capt Kirk seems like a nice enough guy, but I have yet to see him throw a spiral. Every time I have seen him play, I thought how the hell did this guy get a scholarship at a D1 school. Keep in mind before anyone gets butthurt that this is my opinion basd solely on the few times I have seen him play. Pretty underwhelmed.

I think it is Young's to lose. According to Vorel, Young's velocity on the ball and such stands out compared to others.