Bohl Interview in Nebraska

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote:The jerseys, like the recruiting zones mentioned in the interview and discussed in the other thread, all comes down to knowing who you are. That seems to be the theme of Bohl's first spring: a return to Cowboy tough football.

Its more than just a scheme change. Its a mentality. Its a culture. That's what Bohl is trying to instill in these kids here.

Will it work? Maybe, maybe not. But we already know that going to the spread offense and the fancy uniforms didn't win games.
One thing we do know, the fancy uniforms didn't LOSE the games either. I cannot believe this topic is so heated around here. They're uniforms! Nothing more Nothing less. FSU could have been wearing their helmets and neon green bikini briefs and they still would have destroyed everyone. LET THIS GO PEOPLE!!!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:One thing we do know, the fancy uniforms didn't LOSE the games either.
I never said they won any games.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:One thing we do know, the fancy uniforms didn't LOSE the games either.
I never disagreed with you....My point was that uniforms change one thing and one thing only on the field......The way we look running through the plays. Thats it. The don't win us games and we certainly don't lose games because of them.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
I never disagreed with you....My point was that uniforms change one thing and one thing only on the field......The way we look running through the plays. Thats it. The don't win us games and we certainly don't lose games because of them.
except the white pants....i'm pretty sure them things are cursed
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

One more thing about the uniforms...

I always thought that the NDSU yellow jerseys were the ugliest jerseys. I always hoped they would switch to a green scheme.

The key I was trying to communicate is that Bohl just wants to stay consistent, and know who you are. Like Bohl said in the interview, Wyoming ranchers can identify with the team. They don't buy into all the flashy uniform changes. They want consistency, and hard-nosed football.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:One more thing about the uniforms...

I always thought that the NDSU yellow jerseys were the ugliest jerseys. I always hoped they would switch to a green scheme.

The key I was trying to communicate is that Bohl just wants to stay consistent, and know who you are. Like Bohl said in the interview, Wyoming ranchers can identify with the team. They don't buy into all the flashy uniform changes. They want consistency, and hard-nosed football.
YES!!! I always loved NDSU's copy-cat Packers look......Yellow helmet, green jersey, yellow pants. Lately they've worn that terrible yellow jersey instead.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:YES!!! I always loved NDSU's copy-cat Packers look......
Its hard for me to love anything in those colors.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
J-Rod wrote:YES!!! I always loved NDSU's copy-cat Packers look......
Its hard for me to love anything in those colors.
Oh come now, everyone here knows you're a closet cheesehead.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

The title of the thread almost gave me a heart attack...At first I thought it was, "Bohl to Interview in Nebraska".

Jeez...
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I don't care about uniforms; I care about winning.

What I do know is that uniforms are important to recruits. A recruit will not base his decision entirely on uniforms, obviously, but uniforms do play into the recruiting process and team image.

Thus, I'm for whatever uniform the new generation likes, and whatever uniform helps instill a positive image of UW in the minds of recruits.

I'm much more concerned about our tradition of losing than any damn uniform.
My thoughts to a T. I too like what HCCB has to say as a fan, but I'm certainly not going to help the team win any games. Focus needs to be on stud players, not grumpy ranchers. If you can get winners to come to UW in part because of a modern uniform, change it up. The fans will come as long as they win. I'm wodering if the fans that want to have the same uni's as the '88 team are still wearing their clothes from '88 too.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

HiCountryCowboy wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:I don't care about uniforms; I care about winning.

What I do know is that uniforms are important to recruits. A recruit will not base his decision entirely on uniforms, obviously, but uniforms do play into the recruiting process and team image.

Thus, I'm for whatever uniform the new generation likes, and whatever uniform helps instill a positive image of UW in the minds of recruits.

I'm much more concerned about our tradition of losing than any damn uniform.
My thoughts to a T. I too like what HCCB has to say as a fan, but I'm certainly not going to help the team win any games. Focus needs to be on stud players, not grumpy ranchers. If you can get winners to come to UW in part because of a modern uniform, change it up. The fans will come as long as they win. I'm wodering if the fans that want to have the same uni's as the '88 team are still wearing their clothes from '88 too.
Fans do help create a good home-field advantage though. That can make a definite impact on games.

When was the last time Alabama switched up their color scheme? USC? LSU? Texas? Oklahoma? They don't have problems getting players to come with their old-school uniforms.

Once you start tinkering with uniforms, its obvious your program is desperate. Gotta change things up so we can get better. Ask Christiansen how the uniform changes worked out for him during his time in Laramie.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Are you comparing Wyo football to The likes of Alabama and LSU???
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

kdwrightuwyo wrote:Are you comparing Wyo football to The likes of Alabama and LSU???
No. Did I say I was?
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

How is that NOT comparing Wyo to those schools?

If you weren't comparing, then why were they even brought up? haha

Anyways, schools with tradition like Alabama, USC, and the like don't have to worry about uniforms because they have history. Sorry, old timers, the two years Wyo was good in the 80s doesn't count as "history".

Oregon used to be terrible at football, they started tinkering with uniforms and they have obviously turned a corner.

It's a pointless argument. There's a case for both sides.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BackHarlowRoad wrote:Anyways, schools with tradition like Alabama, USC, and the like don't have to worry about uniforms because they have history. Sorry, old timers, the two years Wyo was good in the 80s doesn't count as "history".

Oregon used to be terrible at football, they started tinkering with uniforms and they have obviously turned a corner.
Just because you don't have a history now doesn't mean you can't create a history. But in order to create a history and establish your program, it won't work if you're trying to repeatedly reinvent yourself.

Like I said, know who you are. Oregon has Nike in their backyard, so thats how they are staying true to who they are. Last I checked, there is no Nike headquarters around Laramie.

Wyominians live a more traditionalist, clean-cut lifestyle. They don't get wrapped-up in the hip styles or whats "in" in 2014.

And no, Wyoming may not have much a recent history, but go back a little farther. 143-60-9 over a two-decade span from 1950-1970. I'd say that's pretty good history. That's what Coach Bohl is trying to get this program back to.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Oh my god, the old "Bama, LSU, and Texas don't change their jerseys" argument again? That's like saying our jerseys in the 80s helped us win.

We aren't Bama. We aren't LSU. We aren't Texas. We don't get recruits like they do. That's why they are better.
Oregon can do new jerseys because of Phil Knight, plain and simple. They don't change their jerseys because their program is desperate. They change their jerseys because Phil Knight says to.

I don't care what jerseys we have. If the kids like them, then let's wear them!
But, at the same time, I am very okay with brown jerseys and gold pants. Or brown pants, and gold jerseys.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 141 times

Did you just say Wyominians?
W-Y, Until I Die!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:Did you just say Wyominians?
Sorry I'm not local. What is the proper term?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:Oregon can do new jerseys because of Phil Knight, plain and simple. They don't change their jerseys because their program is desperate. They change their jerseys because Phil Knight says to.
Thats what I said
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
laxwyo wrote:Did you just say Wyominians?
Sorry I'm not local. What is the proper term?
Wyomingites.