Walker Madden & McKenna leave?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

What's the story here? Walker is a man child beast! Started 10 games at LT

If you ain't tough enough. Then cya?
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Madden didn't seem to be getting 1st team reps. He got his ass handed to him against pass rushing ends all year. Maybe he struggled with run blocking and Ledidge was just better at it. I dont really know why he would leave his senior year. It comes down to the fact that if you quit you aren't Cowboy tough and Bohl is weeding out the weak. If they quit in spring ball it means their heart isn't in the game. Maybe they would also quit in a game under certain circumstances. Mckenna was supposedly a stud. He has all the tools. Just couldn't work his way on the field though. I think there might be more, just hope it aint on the lines anymore.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

lakesbison wrote:What's the story here? Walker is a man child beast! Started 10 games at LT

If you ain't tough enough. Then cya?
Not surprised that a player or two has decided to leave, but I am mildly surprised that it was a senior. McKenna has burned a redshirt after he transferred in, so you have to wonder a little about his decision making as well.

When the new staff came in Bohl did say that all jobs are open, and considering the change to a more physical style it isn't for everyone. It is better to find out now, than next season when you might be counting on someone. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if a couple more left. I am not upset about this, because in the end, it will be a new Wyoming program, and as the sign says in the athletic facilities at UW...."If you stay you will become champions". I know this process will take several years and I have full confidence in Bohl and his staff.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

It is not about his job as a starter...more than that it is about the way the players are being treated. Have you ever wondered why practices are closed to the public? It isn't because of the top secret pro style offense that they are installing. (All you have to do is watch film on NDSU to get that) It is so that the public doesn't see or hear how the coaches are treating these young men. It is borderline in terms of being acceptable. Rumor is that even a coach or two have approached Bohl about it and are NOT on board with it!
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

Slow Hand wrote:It is not about his job as a starter...more than that it is about the way the players are being treated. Have you ever wondered why practices are closed to the public? It isn't because of the top secret pro style offense that they are installing. (All you have to do is watch film on NDSU to get that) It is so that the public doesn't see or hear how the coaches are treating these young men. It is borderline in terms of being acceptable. Rumor is that even a coach or two have approached Bohl about it and are NOT on board with it!
Wait they were on board with how he ran things at NDSU and all of the sudden have a change of heart?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Slow Hand wrote:It is not about his job as a starter...more than that it is about the way the players are being treated. Have you ever wondered why practices are closed to the public? It isn't because of the top secret pro style offense that they are installing. (All you have to do is watch film on NDSU to get that) It is so that the public doesn't see or hear how the coaches are treating these young men. It is borderline in terms of being acceptable. Rumor is that even a coach or two have approached Bohl about it and are NOT on board with it!

Beav! You know what to do.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

I think it is so classy to spread unfounded rumors to trash someone. Frankly Slow Hand, you came out looking really small and vindictive after posting this.

P.S. - Just about EVERY program closes practice, so your argument every football coach in America is doing these unspeakable things? I think that the REAL problem is that some people think that by coddling the players that they will play better and be happier. That has been the problem, just about every club we played was more physical than us, so you say that is unfair to try and make players tougher. Why don't you just go and follow Christensen to Utah.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

f-word' hell......Where is BP when you need him? I'd love to hear a second opinion from someone who knows players.....that does not sound good AT ALL.

This reminds me of when Norm Chow took over at UH and started berating kids and flashing his championship rings.... claiming they weren't worthy of being coached by him. Players do not take kindly to these brothers being berated.

We've all played sports.....I've been yelled at myself in multiple sports.....but there is a line, I hope Bohl didn't cross it.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:
f-word' hell......Where is BP when you need him? I'd love to hear a second opinion from someone who knows players.....that does not sound good AT ALL.

This reminds me of when Norm Chow took over at UH and started berating kids and flashing his championship rings.... claiming they weren't worthy of being coached by him. Players do not take kindly to these brothers being berated.

We've all played sports.....I've been yelled at myself in multiple sports.....but there is a line, I hope Bohl didn't cross it.
Why would you take Slow Hand's word for anything? I would want proof before I start trashing someone, wouldn't you?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
Why would you take Slow Hand's word for anything? I would want proof before I start trashing someone, wouldn't you?
SH has demonstrated in the past that he is in the know.....he's not pulling this out of his ass. Could his sources be exaggerating? Possibly.....and of course this is an internet message board, all things must be taken with a grain of salt. But SH is no troll.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Like Potato Creek said...almost every program in the country has closed practices, this isn't a UW phenomenon.
lakesbison
Cowpoke

Bohl is gonna have closed practices...in fact every practice at ndsu was last year! ! Slow hand. Seems like some of the boys can't take the hard work this program is IRON on IRON to strengthen! ! Get on board or get ran out
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Is jarhead the name of the guy who's kid is on team? I know he said the off season workouts were tough but hadn't heard much since practice started
W-Y, Until I Die!
MedievalPoke
Buckaroo

According to what I heard, Bohl told players at the start of Spring that not all would be there at the end, the emphasis was on tough and too many of the players were judged as soft. I know from a player in my class that the workouts are damn hard, but not cruel - he also said "that is the way Spring is supposed to be" and implied it wasn't before.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

MedievalPoke wrote:According to what I heard, Bohl told players at the start of Spring that not all would be there at the end, the emphasis was on tough and too many of the players were judged as soft. I know from a player in my class that the workouts are damn hard, but not cruel - he also said "that is the way Spring is supposed to be" and implied it wasn't before.
Thanks....if the workouts aren't going to be hard, how can we expect to improve? Coaching alone will help us, but the players also need to get bigger, stronger, and tougher.

"Those who will stay, will be champions"!!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Look fellas.....I am not condoning nor am I condemning anyone here. If you question whether or not what I say has any validity just look in the spring practice thread and see who was the first to tell you about the last two players leaving. That should tell you something. All I am telling you is that there is trouble brewing n the ranks. However we all know that it would get worse before it got better. the concerning issue I have is that there is a division in the staff. this is strictly second hand information so take it for what it is worth. Not all of the coaches agree about the way some of the position coaches are treating the players. If you don't believe me that is fine........just wait for it to be public knowledge up to this point I like Bohl and what he stands for, but he better get a handle on his position coaches or there are going to be more leaving.
jarhead
Ranch Hand

Practices are brutal, just as they should be. Coach B is trying to change the climate and culture of Cowboy Football and that is no easy task. All I can tell you is that the practices are twice if not three times as difficult as when DC was here. The number of plays and the pace that they run them in practice are double what DC ever did.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Thanks for the explanation SH. From your previous post, it sounded more like you were saying Bohl and the entire staff are tyrants and they have closed practices in order to keep their abuse of players a private issue. This last post does a better job explaining what you were inferring earlier.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

WestWYOPoke wrote:Thanks for the explanation SH. From your previous post, it sounded more like you were saying Bohl and the entire staff are tyrants and they have closed practices in order to keep their abuse of players a private issue. This last post does a better job explaining what you were inferring earlier.
Not at all. However I think a few of the coaches behavior is borderline at any level. The closed practice issue is so that they can change how the players think and process simple everyday tasks. It is generally a verbal onslaught of the players by the coaches. The language that is used and the comparisons that are drawn would make even the most hardened cringe. I am sure if that display got out to the public there would be a contingent of our citizens calling for reprimands. It isn't pretty and hard for many of the players to endure.........personally I have never seen this level of intimidation.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Slow Hand wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:Thanks for the explanation SH. From your previous post, it sounded more like you were saying Bohl and the entire staff are tyrants and they have closed practices in order to keep their abuse of players a private issue. This last post does a better job explaining what you were inferring earlier.
Not at all. However I think a few of the coaches behavior is borderline at any level. The closed practice issue is so that they can change how the players think and process simple everyday tasks. It is generally a verbal onslaught of the players by the coaches. The language that is used and the comparisons that are drawn would make even the most hardened cringe. I am sure if that display got out to the public there would be a contingent of our citizens calling for reprimands. It isn't pretty and hard for many of the players to endure.........personally I have never seen this level of intimidation.
Break 'em down to build them back up. I got a feeling Bohl and his staff our laying it on thick because such a drastic culture change is needed. Back in high school I experienced first hand some coaches that bordered on mental abuse but it only made me mentally tougher looking back on it now. I could either have quit (which I almost did sooo many times) or choose to stay, become a better player, and not let my teammates down. I'm glad I chose the latter.
Last edited by Cornpoke on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm good for 3!