Walker Madden & McKenna leave?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Slow Hand wrote: Potato, that is my point. I don't know? I suppose it is up to the individual on the receiving end. What do you think? Is it acceptable?
Depends on what the individual is being called.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:That the coaches are abusive is not my stance, It is simply as you have stated, ever so clear that they are not a good fit for the new system.
Slow Hand wrote:It is not about his job as a starter...more than that it is about the way the players are being treated. Have you ever wondered why practices are closed to the public? It isn't because of the top secret pro style offense that they are installing. (All you have to do is watch film on NDSU to get that) It is so that the public doesn't see or hear how the coaches are treating these young men. It is borderline in terms of being acceptable.
To Slow Hand:

You don't actually use the word abusive in talking about how the OL line coach treats them but you strongly suggest it with the statement...."It is borderline in terms of being acceptable." Maybe you have an issue with admitting what you yourself state in your comments. Contradicting yourself is pretty obvious here for everyone to see.
Once again Potato you are making a leap of faith here with my or perhaps your words. Let me ask you this would it be ok to call a son or a daughter of yours as f-word head, or a douchbag? I just think they jumped before they had the respect of a few of them and they are bailing out on them.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:
Slow Hand wrote: Potato, that is my point. I don't know? I suppose it is up to the individual on the receiving end. What do you think? Is it acceptable?

How about a f-word Douch bag....and followed up by your mother must have screwed a donkey to get a piece of poop like you! Is that alright? BTW that is a quote!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

One of my many demented points here is that you do not have to talk to kids that way to get them to perform. For all of you that think it is necessary in order to produce "tough players" have your heads in the clouds!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Wow, I kinda went to the red zone there a little bit. ha ha.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Slow Hand wrote: How about a f-word Douch bag....and followed up by your mother must have screwed a donkey to get a piece of poop like you! Is that alright? BTW that is a quote!
The first one is unnecessary........the second one, there is no way the other players didn't at least giggle. Its harsh, but stupid harsh.

I get your point though SH....all that talk is unnecessary. Discipline can be instilled without name-calling.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Slow Hand wrote:
J-Rod wrote:

How about a f-word Douch bag....and followed up by your mother must have screwed a donkey to get a piece of poop like you! Is that alright? BTW that is a quote!
It's time to toughen up here. That is standard locker room language and honestly, if that upsets them then they need to take their entitled candy asses elsewhere. The real world is not a romp in a beautiful field of flowers where everyone
Showers you in compliments and accolades. This is the real world. People are going to be in your face. If you want to be treated with respect....EARN IT. Giving up 12000 sacks a year is not earning it. Good god people.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

I will leave you all to beat me up for a while...............See ya in Aug. ;-)
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Slow Hand wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:That the coaches are abusive is not my stance, It is simply as you have stated, ever so clear that they are not a good fit for the new system.
Slow Hand wrote:It is not about his job as a starter...more than that it is about the way the players are being treated. Have you ever wondered why practices are closed to the public? It isn't because of the top secret pro style offense that they are installing. (All you have to do is watch film on NDSU to get that) It is so that the public doesn't see or hear how the coaches are treating these young men. It is borderline in terms of being acceptable.
Maybe I can't read where exactly does it say that they are abusive? It simply states that the public would not like to hear what is said during practice. You guys read way too much into a post! WOW. Do you think that the public would like to hear the coaches calling the players f-word, or douchbags, or perhaps slithering pieces of poop? Maybe they would who knows?
Calling someone those names, do you classify that as "abusive"?
Potato, that is my point. I don't know? I suppose it is up to the individual on the receiving end. What do you think? Is it acceptable?
Somehow, I knew you are the type that would answer a question with a question. I am not the one making the charges YOU ARE, so if you are not willing to back it up why level the charge (about inappropriate behavior)? What I would want to do is to hear from BOTH sides of the issue instead of just leaping to a conclusion from hearing just one side only like you have. What came out of the player's mouth toward the coach? What I would say, football is a man's game, and maybe the coach was trying to get a player to play mad and with emotion which the coach hasn't seen before? My thought would be, don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way out, the program is bigger than one players feelings. Obviously from other players tweets, many of them are having fun....too bad a couple of offensive linemen aren't.
Last edited by PotatoCreekPete on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Slow Hand wrote:I will leave you all to beat me up for a while...............See ya in Aug. ;-)
Probably not... At this rate Adolf Bohl and his staff will run all the team off
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Maybe if the player(s) were not such the hypersensitive type he would of had a sit down meeting with Bohl and the O line coach to hash this out. You just dont quit! You deal with the issue. Obviously some of these players dont have the social skills to communicate. They wouldn't quit if a teammate called them a name, they would deal with it. So what them quit so easily? I think we have players that cant cut it and they can hit the road. If they loved their team so much they would fight for it.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Slow Hand wrote:You see here is the thing...I am pretty sure the coaching staff, Bohl In particular, doesn't want the public hearing his coaching staff talking to these young men in the fashion that they are. That is why the practice is closed as well as to eliminate any possible distractions. I get that it is the culture of a D1 program but it goes against everything he has portrayed up to this point. Honor, integrity, really? How can you make those claims and talk to young men in that fashion? It is counter productive.
Like I said before, this is the basic training period. Do you remember basic training (if you were in the military) and how you were berated and called every name in the book? That is what this is and it works and has worked for a lot longer than either one of us has been alive. The military does not allow fans, friends, and family to stand around watching while in basic training and that is why Coach Bohl doesn't want it either. The only difference here is that the team members can quit if they want to and not have dishonorable discharge with them the rest of their lives. It's a work in progress, but at the end of it I'll bet the Cowboys won't be getting pushed around and knocked on their asses like they have the last five years.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

In all honesty though, we can ill afford many more defections from the o-line, especially if we want the guys in the backfield stay at least somewhat healthy that is.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Slow Hand wrote:
J-Rod wrote:

My company commander used to call the guys that couldn't get things right, a "bucket of hammered assholes". I was pretty sure that he didn't mean they were a bucket of hammered assholes. In fact, it would be really difficult and quite messy to collect a bucket full of hammered assholes.

They do it to toughen people up, motivate them, and weed out the quitters. People that believe in themselves don't get bothered by it, they get motivated by it. Quitters quit because of it.

I think this is great. If a guy quits on his team because somebody called him a "f'ing douchebag whose mother f'd a donkey", is that a guy I want in the trenches anyway? I don't think it is. I think that guy will quit whenever the situation gets too tough for his candied ass to handle it.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:You see here is the thing...I am pretty sure the coaching staff, Bohl In particular, doesn't want the public hearing his coaching staff talking to these young men in the fashion that they are. That is why the practice is closed as well as to eliminate any possible distractions. I get that it is the culture of a D1 program but it goes against everything he has portrayed up to this point. Honor, integrity, really? How can you make those claims and talk to young men in that fashion? It is counter productive.
Like I said before, this is the basic training period. Do you remember basic training (if you were in the military) and how you were berated and called every name in the book? That is what this is and it works and has worked for a lot longer than either one of us has been alive. The military does not allow fans, friends, and family to stand around watching while in basic training and that is why Coach Bohl doesn't want it either. The only difference here is that the team members can quit if they want to and not have dishonorable discharge with them the rest of their lives. It's a work in progress, but at the end of it I'll bet the Cowboys won't be getting pushed around and knocked on their asses like they have the last five years.
The process works. It teaches you discipline. It teaches you to pay attention to detail. It teaches you to value instruction and listen to what you're being taught. It builds a sense of team, creates a bond with the guys you go through it with, and generally culls out the following type of personalities: quitters, people who are bigger than the program, discipline problems, and people without work ethic.

There's a reason they've been using those tactics to teach our military for 100's of years. They work.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 47 times

This is a very interesting topic. A meta-analysis of research in the area would seem to suggest that the "tear them down, then build them up" model is effective in the short-term but alarmingly destructive in the long-term. Take a look when you have some time. There is a good amount of well done research by respected institutions on this very topic and the findings are quite interesting.

My personal experience mirrors the research articles I've been reading. I was a walk-on at a prestigious basketball program in the Big 10. The head coach had nothing but horrendous things to say to most of the players in practice. Comments about f-word their mothers, spitting on dead relatives graves, and slicing players throats were mentioned on more than a few occasions. The coach actually forced players to transfer by making statements to the media that certain players planned to leave the program without them ever saying as much. Most of the players forced to leave took it quietly because they knew that the coach could make sure they never saw a roster spot on another college basketball team if he wanted to. He had that much power. Many players took such offense as to physically confront the coach, but that never seemed to lessen the barrage of insults that would come from his mouth. What's really interesting is talking to my past teammates years later about these experiences. Some of them have the utmost respect for the coach and claim it was "just what they needed looking back on it". However, there are a lot of ex-players, who are extremely successful today, who hated their experience.

Personally, looking back on it, those four years were the best years of my life and also the worst years of my life.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Reminds me of the AJ Barker situation at Minnesota in 2012.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

This is very interesting. I'm personally not a big fan of the "break them down" concept. Maybe depends on who you're working with. This same staff had very few defections or departures at NDSU, O-line included, and quite a few O-line NFL players/NFL prospects / FCS All Americans.

This tells me one or more of the following is happening:
1. The team culture and attitude is very different at Wyoming than at NDSU.
2. The coaching staff is taking a different approach than they did at NDSU.
3. There is more to the story than we are hearing here.

It does make me wonder if the O-line, one of the weakest units, is intentionally being picked on by the new sheriffs over other areas, in order to weed and push out players that they didn't like on film, and free up some future scholarships. Would make for a much tougher 1st year though. I just can't imagine them managing the skill positions (WR, etc.) the same way.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Slow Hand wrote:Sorry, can't do that as it would jeopardize my standing with the team. Unlike Beeve I have a good relationship with the team. If they realized who I was I couldn't post the insider stuff any longer. Sorry.

Lol....I know 1 player...I knew two until one transferred to Utah.
I don't have a relationship with "the team".

That 1 player? I tutored him... I have nothing to worry about especially "my standing with the team" hahaha.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Should we change our mascot to the 'Dolphins?'

This argument sounds exactly like how that fiasco started.