Walker Madden & McKenna leave?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Slow Hand wrote:You see here is the thing...I am pretty sure the coaching staff, Bohl In particular, doesn't want the public hearing his coaching staff talking to these young men in the fashion that they are. That is why the practice is closed as well as to eliminate any possible distractions. I get that it is the culture of a D1 program but it goes against everything he has portrayed up to this point. Honor, integrity, really? How can you make those claims and talk to young men in that fashion? It is counter productive.
I've been around several NCAA football programs from an "insider" view and one thing that is consistent across the board is this type of verbal "abuse"/coaching. There is always a coach or coaches that use this type of negative reinforcement on a consistent basis, even on Glenn's staff. This, as you said, is one of the reasons that most programs have closed practices. I don't know if you are stating your distaste for this type of action or if you were just trying to inform us, but either way this is something that goes on in most football programs in the country. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, just that it does happen a lot more than most people realize.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:You see here is the thing...I am pretty sure the coaching staff, Bohl In particular, doesn't want the public hearing his coaching staff talking to these young men in the fashion that they are. That is why the practice is closed as well as to eliminate any possible distractions. I get that it is the culture of a D1 program but it goes against everything he has portrayed up to this point. Honor, integrity, really? How can you make those claims and talk to young men in that fashion? It is counter productive.
I've been around several NCAA football programs from an "insider" view and one thing that is consistent across the board is this type of verbal "abuse"/coaching. There is always a coach or coaches that use this type of negative reinforcement on a consistent basis, even on Glenn's staff. This, as you said, is one of the reasons that most programs have closed practices. I don't know if you are stating your distaste for this type of action or if you were just trying to inform us, but either way this is something that goes on in most football programs in the country. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, just that it does happen a lot more than most people realize.
+1. As the same kind of "insider" WWP was...I've heard some things and can second that Glenn's staff, one offensive coordinator in particular, was guilty as well. Coaches at this level and beyond aren't known for their kind demeanor.

We talk about Schroyer and his potty mouth, you should've heard McClain at practice.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

If having coaches that aren't disciplinarians produces what we got with DC, I say Bohl can do what he wants. Weed out the weak, keep the strong. Where's Dan Hawkins when we need him? "It's DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL!!! Go play intramurals brother...."
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Im surprised there is no news by Gags or Vorel on the kid who supposedly quit this weekend. Hopefully he reconsidered his choice.
billings
Ranch Hand

Makes sense to me to see some attrition in the Oline. Weakest unit on the team for years and now a whole new style of Offense and line play that some of these guys may not fit into.

Too bad we are thin there though as that makes it very noticeable and concerning

my take anyway
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

I'm thinking that being homesick has more to do with Riese's departure than being berated in practice.
https://twitter.com/mikevorel/status/453184412402737152 https://twitter.com/mikevorel/status/453184996254044160
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

billings wrote:Makes sense to me to see some attrition in the Oline. Weakest unit on the team for years and now a whole new style of Offense and line play that some of these guys may not fit into.

Too bad we are thin there though as that makes it very noticeable and concerning

my take anyway
Sounds like it may take a couple of years to get this problem area fixed.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

WYCowboy wrote:
billings wrote:Makes sense to me to see some attrition in the Oline. Weakest unit on the team for years and now a whole new style of Offense and line play that some of these guys may not fit into.

my take anyway
Sounds like it may take a couple of years to get this problem area fixed.
This is my biggest worry with the new staff. Hopefully, they will have a better eye for talent and coaching ability for the O-line than our previous few coaching administrations. We just haven't been able to put together recruits to be dominant along the O-line.

With that said, I really like Bohl's apparent philosophy of building a team around the trenches. I agree 100% but just worried that it is much easier said than done.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
billings
Ranch Hand

Seems some Olineman are pretty happy with the new coaches

Vorel quoting Rafe on Coach Fuchs:"He's awesome, and I think most of the guys would agree with me on that. Everybody is meshing great. He really knows his stuff and I think we're learnig a ton from him each and every day. That doesn't mean there aren't pointswhere everybody gets a little frustrated, but that just comes with the learning curve. As a whole, I think everybody is loving it. We're all loving the new instruction. we're all loving the new challenge."

Rafe on the new offense "We're going to be happy. The fans are going to be happy. Everybody is going to be happy when they see it. People are going to come out on Saturday's now and see a physical, hard hitting football game.They're not going to see the stuff of the past with long passes and you can't hear the pads hitting. Now, all your going to hear is pads smashing against each other, running backs going for huge runs. It's going to be awesome, and i think they'll love the offense."
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

Rafe looks like he'd be a mean mother
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

billings wrote:Seems some Olineman are pretty happy with the new coaches
I definitely think that if you are rebuilding a team in college, the most important units are the lines. If you can establish dominant lines, those lines will overcome many other deficiencies. IMO, dominant lines will get you bowl eligible. Talent at the other positions gets you into the T25.

Thus, Bohl's philosophy has me excited because I feel that is the best way to establish long-term success. For me, the main worry is that Glenn said much of the same things. I realize that Bohl is not Glenn and Glenn's teams are not an indication of what Bohl will do. Still, I can't help but be a little worried about it.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Agree....way easier to be dominant at the FCS level with bigger stronger better players.......I realize that can be developed but only to an extent. That is the huge difference between BCS schools and the rest...they get the dominant linemen. The others must develop. I'm not saying his plan wont work...just saying it is a concern as well.

:twocents:
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I agree with what you are saying, but we need to show some patience. Coach Bohl is going about this the right way, but I still think it will take a couple of years. That said, I think you will start seeing improvement this year on defense and even with the loss of Brett Smith we still have some very good offensive weapons on offense. Depth is a concern.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

WYCowboy wrote:I agree with what you are saying, but we need to show some patience. Coach Bohl is going about this the right way, but I still think it will take a couple of years. That said, I think you will start seeing improvement this year on defense and even with the loss of Brett Smith we still have some very good offensive weapons on offense. Depth is a concern.
If we give up less than 220 rushing yards per game or less than 260 passing yards per game that means there is improvement somewhere. If we give up less in both departments thats a huge improvement regardless if we win or lose.
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

NDSU had a term. "Those who stay will be champions" Bohl put that on wyomings door. These players are embracing that and the tough survive and the weak get flushed out. I have known bohl vigen cooper for 10 years hell yes they swear but they DO NOT CROSS THE LINE OF ABUSE. that's a dam joke slowhand. They are crass, rough and motivating
That's how you win on the field of battle