Incredible in depth look at Wyoming football....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

from SB Nation. Usually that website is famous for amateurish hacks. This guy did some research although he missed on us losing our top d tackle.

This is a good one.

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/4/8/558807 ... ule-roster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

The headline is a bit underwhelming (says Craig Bowl, in case it gets changed before others see this)

EDIT: And 10 minutes later, its already been changed
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

I actually like SB Nation a lot.. some very good writers on that site.
ImageImageImageImage
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I agree. Very good article and research. He tells it like it is, and that is things are going to get better but we have to be patient.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

Excellent breakdown. I'm with Mr. T on SB Nation. Quality site that hasn't ever had a bad reputation like Bleacher Report.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

"NDSU closer to decent recruits" ?????
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

BJC wrote:"NDSU closer to decent recruits" ?????
Yeah, that one had me wondering what he meant.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

WYO1016 wrote:Excellent breakdown. I'm with Mr. T on SB Nation. Quality site that hasn't ever had a bad reputation like Bleacher Report.
Even Bleacher Report is getting better.. their rep took a beating, but they're improving. Adam from Kegs N Eggs is their lead CFB writer now.
ImageImageImageImage
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

MrTitleist wrote:
WYO1016 wrote:Excellent breakdown. I'm with Mr. T on SB Nation. Quality site that hasn't ever had a bad reputation like Bleacher Report.
Even Bleacher Report is getting better.. their rep took a beating, but they're improving. Adam from Kegs N Eggs is their lead CFB writer now.
They are getting better (a lot better, actually), but those first few years on the scene did some serious damage. They've got a long way to go before people start considering them reputable.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

To me he's saying NDSU has only a slightly better roster and look at what he did with that. That's debatable but at this point we don't have a leg to stand on as far as that arguement goes.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Bill Connelly is always dead on. He has been in particular with Wyoming over the years. He called the 2012 debacle with pure numbers and logic before anyone did. Overall, his main argument isn't earth-shattering though....Wyoming will improve this year, but it might not be in the win column. The real goal is to be patient and hope this group sets up the foundation for better things to come. But at the end of the day, people will have to withhold judgement. This schedule is very tough, and losing Smith isn't something to scoff at.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:
BJC wrote:"NDSU closer to decent recruits" ?????
Yeah, that one had me wondering what he meant.
I think he was talking about location.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

LasCrucesPoke wrote:To me he's saying NDSU has only a slightly better roster and look at what he did with that. That's debatable but at this point we don't have a leg to stand on as far as that arguement goes.
NDSU does a few guys being looked at as possible Top 4 round draft picks. They looked bigger and faster on tape, but they were playing some very weak competition weekly so how would anyone really know? Its easy to feast when you're at the top of your food chain.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

J-Rod wrote:
LasCrucesPoke wrote:To me he's saying NDSU has only a slightly better roster and look at what he did with that. That's debatable but at this point we don't have a leg to stand on as far as that arguement goes.
NDSU does a few guys being looked at as possible Top 4 round draft picks. They looked bigger and faster on tape, but they were playing some very weak competition weekly so how would anyone really know? Its easy to feast when you're at the top of your food chain.
I've only heard about the O-lineman....who are the others?
theman12
Buckaroo

BJC wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
I've only heard about the O-lineman....who are the others?
I'm pretty sure the CB they had is one of them
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

One of the running backs could end up on a practice squad, but they're not going to have 3 guys drafted like we are. And we're in the cellar and they're at their pinnacle.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I actually think we could see an 8 win season beating teams that we should beat and losing to teams we should lose to. There are a couple of maybes on the schedule, But Bohl could see a Bowl game his first year due to the games we play and having a fairly strong defense the only real question is deep threat.

If we let every team play Derek Carr on us then it gets ugly and it will be a true test of adversity for the team both offense and defense alike.

Sat, Aug 30 vs Montana - Winnable
Sat, Sept 6 vs Air Force - Should win
Sat, Sept 13 @ Oregon - Should lose
Sat, Sept 20 vs Florida Atl - Winnable
Sat, Sept 27 @ Michigan State - Should lose
Sat, Oct 11 @ Hawaii - Should win
Sat, Oct 18 vs San Jose State - Winnable
Sat, Oct 25 @ Colorado State - Winnable
Sat, Nov 1 @ Fresno State - Winnable
Sat, Nov 8 vs Utah State - Should lose
Sat, Nov 22 vs Boise State - Winnable
Sat, Nov 29 @ New Mexico - Should win

Best Case Scenario - 9-3
More likely to happen - 6-6
Worst case Scenario - 3-9

No matter how you look at it next year is going to be ugly, I say that because the majority of our defensive strength will be gone and there will be a lot of holes that won't be patched up unless some players really step up during the year.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:I actually think we could see an 8 win season beating teams that we should beat and losing to teams we should lose to. There are a couple of maybes on the schedule, But Bohl could see a Bowl game his first year due to the games we play and having a fairly strong defense the only real question is deep threat.

If we let every team play Derek Carr on us then it gets ugly and it will be a true test of adversity for the team both offense and defense alike.

Sat, Aug 30 vs Montana - Winnable
Sat, Sept 6 vs Air Force - Should win
Sat, Sept 13 @ Oregon - Should lose
Sat, Sept 20 vs Florida Atl - Winnable
Sat, Sept 27 @ Michigan State - Should lose
Sat, Oct 11 @ Hawaii - Should win
Sat, Oct 18 vs San Jose State - Winnable
Sat, Oct 25 @ Colorado State - Winnable
Sat, Nov 1 @ Fresno State - Winnable
Sat, Nov 8 vs Utah State - Should lose
Sat, Nov 22 vs Boise State - Winnable
Sat, Nov 29 @ New Mexico - Should win

Best Case Scenario - 9-3
More likely to happen - 6-6
Worst case Scenario - 3-9

No matter how you look at it next year is going to be ugly, I say that because the majority of our defensive strength will be gone and there will be a lot of holes that won't be patched up unless some players really step up during the year.
I'm extremely confident in our front seven on defense. I've felt since DC left that the new coach would be happy with that part of his team. However, my question comes with every other part of the team aside from rb and wr. Our secondary has been horribad for a long time. I don't know if there is a quick fix there. I think the new defense will help generate pressure, but I still think teams will be able to pass the ball on us a lot.

On offense, I'm even more concerned about the effectiveness of 6'9" doughboys than I was before two of them transferred. I don't know if these guys can win the trenches, even with Vince Lombardi coaching them. We'll see, but it doesn't matter how good your rb and wr's are if the qb has not time and the rb has no hole.

I'm not as concerned about everyone else at qb. I'm thinking that Bohl and Vigen have time to build an effective game manager by fall. He might not win you games on his talent alone, but he's not going to lose us games on his mistakes alone. I don't think the qb is the position of concern like most people do. I'm confident our qb will keep the turnovers down, be able to hand the ball off, and complete play action passes.

Special teams was a trainwreck last year. I think this is one area that will improve dramatically with coaching. I'm thinking special teams will help our football team quite a bit.

If the secondary can figure out a way to stop the pass, we might win 7 games. If not, it's possible we end up 5-7.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I feel the only two teams we won't be 100% competitive with are Oregon and Michigan State. I think the others could be ours for the taking.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Our defense (overall) has been terrible for years. The offense has been gimmicky. What I'm hoping for is the coaches are putting some muscle and mentality into the team. My old coach used to say 'football is 80% mental and 20% physical - it doesn't matter how tough you are when you are hurting your own team.'

We may have a rough year - but I will be much happier losing by 3 points than by 45. I think Bohl and crew will keep us in every game. I think he has the resources to win quite a few of them.

Go Pokes!