2014/2015 Recruiting Thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

LasCrucesPoke wrote:I'm so mad I'm seeing red. After all the discussions about how DC pushed away former players, etc, we can take a chance on a legacy of one of the greatest players in our history but Aaron Young can facebook message himself into a scholarship. This makes me sick. A Smith should always have a place at Wyoming.
Well we do, only his name is Nick....
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

LasCrucesPoke wrote:I'm so mad I'm seeing red. After all the discussions about how DC pushed away former players, etc, we can't take a chance on a legacy of one of the greatest players in our history but Aaron Young can facebook message himself into a scholarship. This makes me sick. A Smith should always have a place at Wyoming.
All about timing. We just lost the top 2 guys at that position and Bohl needed to try an secure it. Young was well thought of and ranked as one of the top JUCO QB's. Turns out we had a couple guys who are better on the roster, but that wasn't know when Brett declared and Thompson transferred.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

I wonder if Cade is as driven as Brett. That's too bad as I'm sure a smith could play in any offense
W-Y, Until I Die!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

jarhead wrote:Cade's offer to attend Wyoming has been pulled. Wyo stated they want to pursue other options. Poor move in my opinion. Cade is a great all around athlete.
Interesting. Pretty gutsy of Bohl. Lands a plethora of recruits with only FCS offers, but pulls the offer of one of the more highly-rated guys Wyoming had a chance at. I doubt he signs someone better than Cade.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
LasCrucesPoke wrote:I'm so mad I'm seeing red. After all the discussions about how DC pushed away former players, etc, we can't take a chance on a legacy of one of the greatest players in our history but Aaron Young can facebook message himself into a scholarship. This makes me sick. A Smith should always have a place at Wyoming.
All about timing. We just lost the top 2 guys at that position and Bohl needed to try an secure it. Young was well thought of and ranked as one of the top JUCO QB's. Turns out we had a couple guys who are better on the roster, but that wasn't know when Brett declared and Thompson transferred.
He was? I didn't perceive it that way at all. Unless it was from his own FB or LinkedIn pages. I even just did another search, and couldn't find anything about him being a top JUCO QB from a legitimate outside source.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Swing it however way you want man, it's poop. Yes we needed another guy at QB, he's now what 4th on the depth chart? How's this for timing? We have zero commitments for 2015. We will take a chance on on some guys this year that are less talented than Cade that project as backup TE, and they don't have a Wyoming Hall of Fame QB as a brother.
Last edited by PokeOLoco on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: He was? I didn't perceive it that way at all. Unless it was from his own FB or LinkedIn pages. I even just did another search, and couldn't find anything about him being a top JUCO QB from a legitimate outside source.
Yep...in fact, a scout who had actually seen him play was quoted as saying something along the lines of, "he won't lose Wyoming any games, but he won't win them any either".
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Figured this would happen. They pulled an offer from that Iowa Dual threat guy last year. It's like Bohl doesn't see the value in a QB that can run. It's going to be a tough transition.......
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

If anything, we know that Aaron Young has a good future in marketing. Can't fault a kid for creating his own D1 scholarship opportunity.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
McPeachy wrote: He was? I didn't perceive it that way at all. Unless it was from his own FB or LinkedIn pages. I even just did another search, and couldn't find anything about him being a top JUCO QB from a legitimate outside source.
Yep...in fact, a scout who had actually seen him play was quoted as saying something along the lines of, "he won't lose Wyoming any games, but he won't win them any either".
Is your post TIC? "not losing & not winning" any games for Wyoming, indicates to me that he will never see the field...which further implies he is not a top JUCO QB...in fact, far from it. As we all learned this spring.
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote:If anything, we know that Aaron Young has a good future in marketing. Can't fault a kid for creating his own D1 scholarship opportunity.
:lol:
Dear Karma,

fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Still, sucks they wouldn't even give Cade a chance. If Cade is anything like his brother, we would be a force to be reckoned with with him behind center
theman12
Buckaroo

[/quote]
Interesting. Pretty gutsy of Bohl. Lands a plethora of recruits with only FCS offers, but pulls the offer of one of the more highly-rated guys Wyoming had a chance at. I doubt he signs someone better than Cade.[/quote]

He also landed guys with FBS offers. Hill turned down the best team in his own state (Northern Illinois) to come to Laramie.

Smith also turned down FBS schools, and in my opinion is a better land than Cade.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

theman12 wrote: He also landed guys with FBS offers. Hill turned down the best team in his own state (Northern Illinois) to come to Laramie.

Smith also turned down FBS schools, and in my opinion is a better land than Cade.
He did....but the class was largely made up of kids without FBS offers. Compared to other MW schools, that is alarming. Bohl gets a pass because he got off to a late start, but it can't happen again. Expecting to produce championship results with that level of recruit in today's game is fantasy talk. Disney movie stuff.
theman12
Buckaroo

J-Rod wrote:
theman12 wrote: He also landed guys with FBS offers. Hill turned down the best team in his own state (Northern Illinois) to come to Laramie.

He did....but the class was largely made up of kids without FBS offers. Compared to other MW schools, that is alarming. Bohl gets a pass because he got off to a late start, but it can't happen again. Expecting to produce championship results with that level of recruit in today's game is fantasy talk. Disney movie stuff.
All I'm saying is if he can get the players at the top of the 2014 recruiting class in two months. Just imagine what he can do with a year.

Yes Cade is a good player. But we also just signed 2 good QB's. I think we're still in the Brett days a little bit, which is totally understandable. But in less than a month he's going to officially move on. It's time for us to do the same
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

McPeachy wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
Is your post TIC? "not losing & not winning" any games for Wyoming, indicates to me that he will never see the field...which further implies he is not a top JUCO QB...in fact, far from it. As we all learned this spring.
I believe it means that he won't turn the ball over and make mistakes that makes us lose game, BUT he won't make big plays and be clutch in a way that makes us wins games.

A game manager. Not a ton of risk, not a ton of payoff.

Either way, this kid created his own opportunity. He seemingly picked Wyoming out of thin air as a place to play and was able to convince coaches to offer him all by himself.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

All I know is that right after Coach Bohl was hired he flew to Oregon to talk to Brett Smith & his family about Brett staying or leaving. From here on it's just speculation on whether he talked to Cade. Who knows what else was said at that meeting by Coach Bohl, Brett, Brett's family, or Cade. All I'm saying is we don't know the facts here except the offer to Cade has been pulled.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Maybe you guys didn't listen to the interview but Cade has zero interest in Wyoming. On top of that he is a spread QB do you really think Brett would have played at UW under center in a pro style offense when he was groomed as a spread QB? Clearly he isn't he left for the NFL.

It's not a mistake to pull a scholarship from someone that has no want or interest to attend the school. If he had shown any interest in coming here he would probably still have that offer on the table and that was his mistake.
theman12
Buckaroo

Wyo2dal wrote:Maybe you guys didn't listen to the interview but Cade has zero interest in Wyoming. On top of that he is a spread QB do you really think Brett would have played at UW under center in a pro style offense when he was groomed as a spread QB? Clearly he isn't he left for the NFL.

It's not a mistake to pull a scholarship from someone that has no want or interest to attend the school. If he had shown any interest in coming here he would probably still have that offer on the table and that was his mistake.
Thank you. Get guys here that want to be here. Period
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

theman12 wrote: But in less than a month he's going to officially move on. It's time for us to do the same
I will never move on.

When I'm an old man I will be the "Wyokie". But instead of talking about how great the 80s were and our jerseys were, I will be talking about how great Brett Smith was and how we don't have any Brett Smiths! :roll:
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.