2014/2015 Recruiting Thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote:Cruising joe parker's Twitter and looks like cj Johnson ended up being Nebraska Gatorade player of the year
I thought that had been posted? I know I posted it on the other site. We got a couple state Gatorade players in this incoming class.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

kdwrightuwyo wrote:
laxwyo wrote:Cruising joe parker's Twitter and looks like cj Johnson ended up being Nebraska Gatorade player of the year
I thought that had been posted? I know I posted it on the other site. We got a couple state Gatorade players in this incoming class.
Quite possible. I just saw him congratulate Johnson on the 4th so I didn't know
W-Y, Until I Die!
Kermit
Buckaroo

tweaked wrote:Looks like we have offers out to at least 5 players with NDSU offers: OL Trenton Mooney, TE Ben Ellefson (who has verbaled to NDSU), RB Demaris Purifoy, LB Aaron Mercadel, and DB Kevin Jackson. Inevitable with this coaching staff. Most of these players do have other FBS offers as well.
Mooney and Mercadel have also recently committed to NDSU.
http://bisonation.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Surprised UW felt the need to sign a JC QB. Wonder what that says about Coffman....
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:Surprised UW felt the need to sign a JC QB. Wonder what that says about Coffman....
Allen has three years of eligibility, Coffman has one year. I don't think it says anything at all.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Coffman will need a back up next year. But the new guy is a spread qb....so he's gotta learn like the rest have this last season.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Here's his Rivals page. A 2 star QB.
http://sports.yahoo.com/wyoming/footbal ... len-169730" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Also according to Rivals, Dameko Doddles, DB from Olklahoma and 3 star recruit, was also offered by TCU by committed to us instead.
http://sports.yahoo.com/wyoming/footbal ... les-162202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:Here's his Rivals page. A 2 star QB.
http://sports.yahoo.com/wyoming/footbal ... len-169730" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5.4 2-star rating is identical to that of Brett Smith.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

vanklomp - Are you surprised the Cowboys were not able to turn more of the NDSU's recruits? It seems like a lot of them chose NDSU over UW.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:vanklomp - Are you surprised the Cowboys were not able to turn more of the NDSU's recruits? It seems like a lot of them chose NDSU over UW.
I'm not sure what you're looking at. I've seen one NDSU recruit pick them over us if the player had offers from both. Wyoming has beat NDSU head to head for recruits more often than not since Bohl became head coach.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:vanklomp - Are you surprised the Cowboys were not able to turn more of the NDSU's recruits? It seems like a lot of them chose NDSU over UW.
I'm not sure what you're looking at. I've seen one NDSU recruit pick them over us if the player had offers from both. Wyoming has beat NDSU head to head for recruits more often than not since Bohl became head coach.
I just looked on Rivals and I counted three Bison recruits that has UW offers - Ellefson, Mercadel, Purifoy. And if the information above is correct Mooney, too. That's four vs two who chose UW over NDSU (Johnson and Overstreet). It's totally understandable since NDSU's probably been on these kids for years. I'm sure most would have come to UW if we had been recruiting them from the beginning. I'm still optimistic about this class.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Not really.
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

tweaked wrote:Sure, lots of things enter into a recruits decision, of course. But usually, if you're an athlete, you want to compete at the highest level possible. It's one variable. But it's an important one. And UW beats NDSU on this variable. Again we should win most of the recruiting battles with NDSU. All? Of course not. As you say different individuals have different criteria. But we should win most of em. Actually, if Bohl turns this program around the way I think he will, I hope we'll be winning our fair share of battles with the Boises, SDSUs, and CSUs of the world as well.
Not to start a war. I personally have much respect for my friend Craig Bohl. However 2 of the 4-5 recruits NDSU got over wyoming was TE Ellefson (who also turned down Purdue) & Purifoy (who also turned down new mexico) was specifically Location and ability for parents to watch them play.

Ndsu has been on espn or 2 11 times in 3 years 2 game days and 2 fox sports 1 along with 19,000 jam packed fans vs some mwc stadiums with only 15,000 fans in a 38,000 capacity.

But Bohl was cheering on NDSU in the airport last weekend with some ndsu fans so he obviously still cares and there is no animosity. Bohl recruiting will be more Colorado Nebraska Oklahoma based in my opinion and that should bold well for you in future. Good luck
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere...Wisdorf of Cheyenne East and Montgomery of Cheyenne Central will both walk-on to UW.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 85419.html
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

I like that Bohl is bringing in in-state kids, even if they are walk-ons, it's something. They could prove to be invaluable down the road. Hell, the one kid at DE turned out to be a good pass rusher (but needs to put on weight because at 200lbs, he gets pushed around too much in the run game).
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I'm all for bringing a bunch of Wyo kids, as long as most are just walk-ons. There just isn't enough talent in the state to have more than 2-3 scholarships spent on in-state talent, and even that's a bit on the high side.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:I'm all for bringing a bunch of Wyo kids, as long as most are just walk-ons. There just isn't enough talent in the state to have more than 2-3 scholarships spent on in-state talent, and even that's a bit on the high side.
I don't think CCB believes these Wyo kids are worthy of 3 stars (at least right now), but what he is doing is generating football interest throughout the high schools in the possibility of playing football at UW. He's building the future. That's a hell of a lot more than the previous coaches have done.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote:I don't think CCB believes these Wyo kids are worthy of 3 stars (at least right now), but what he is doing is generating football interest throughout the high schools in the possibility of playing football at UW. He's building the future. That's a hell of a lot more than the previous coaches have done.
Exactly.

I really don't think that WY prep football is much different than ND prep football. And yes, I'm aware that NDSU could get by with more ND players at a lower competition level, but like Cowboy said, it's about developing interest in the program. That way, in a few years, maybe the next Tevis Bartlett will consider his Wyoming offer more seriously than previous recruits have.