Bohl #1 coach in MWC, #59 in country

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote: You oughta see their new weight room. That combined with their Sports Medicine center makes the RAC look weak.
I have seen photos....not particularly impressive. Many in the MW are better....to even significantly better.

But to be honest, from all that I've gathered only Boise State has a Pac-12 caliber football facility....everyone else is a long ways off. Colorado State has some serious ambition though....

Hawaii takes the cake in worst facilities. Upper campus and government truly believe the island is the only selling the program needs. Not true.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote: You oughta see their new weight room. That combined with their Sports Medicine center makes the RAC look weak.
I have seen photos....not particularly impressive. Many in the MW are better....to even significantly better.

But to be honest, from all that I've gathered only Boise State has a Pac-12 caliber football facility....everyone else is a long ways off. Colorado State has some serious ambition though....

Hawaii takes the cake in worst facilities. Upper campus and government truly believe the island is the only selling the program needs. Not true.
More than what we've got going for us.

Oh wait...we have Cowboy Tough...

That sure gets the recruits...ya know considering every college football team has some similar phrase...
BUT BUT BUT...ours actually means more than others because we were good in the 80s.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

J-Rod wrote:
I have seen photos....not particularly impressive. Many in the MW are better....to even significantly better..
May be true, but we aren't one of 'em.

http://www.utahstateaggies.com/aggieweightroom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What are they lacking that other MWC schools have?

http://www.gobulldogs.com/trads/fres-strength.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fresno claims to have one of the biggest complexes in the MW and western United States, USU's is over 8,000 square feet larger.
Last edited by BackHarlowRoad on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote: More than what we've got going for us.

Oh wait...we have Cowboy Tough...

That sure gets the recruits...ya know considering every college football team has some similar phrase...
BUT BUT BUT...ours actually means more than others because we were good in the 80s.
lol BP you've gotten so cynical in your old age. ;)

Are you in Corvallis? Or did that not materialize?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:I agree completely, I'm pessimistic on the entire " best coach " because just like Petersen being in the PAC12 now he can't live off his MWC accolades. Bohl can't live off his FCS accolades and until I see him win I agree.*
So since he has no FBS record, is he the worst coach in the country?

When you have no record at your current school, its okay to use your previous school as a gauge for where you rank.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
lakesbison wrote:Well. Sorry to hear that man. It's a culture thing, I've watched bohl and NDSU win 43 of 45 games and I don't remember how to cheer for a loser. (Oh wait, I have Vikings season tickets haha)

I'm just saying. Culture and attitude helps lot, losers lament hurts a lot, that's all. You all know I'm a wyo fan
Culture and attitude occurs BECAUSE you win 43 of 45 games. It's easy to feel like a winner when you win 96% of your games.
Nobody is saying that Bohl is going to come in and win 80-90% of his games right off the bat. That culture at NDSU didn't come right away. Bohl built it. Thats why a select few of us here think he'll do the same at UW.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I say, if a person has always been successful at every level he has coached , that means he is a great coach no matter the level he currently coaches at until proven otherwise on the field.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Where would this coach rank coming into the MWC?
Record Post Season
12-3 DII Champ
13-2 DII Champ
11-2 DII Quarterfinal
11-2 DII Quarterfinal
13-2 DI-AA Champ Game
15-1 DI-AA Champ
11-2 DI-AA Quarterfinal
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

This board is comedy....We have a solid new head coach who was picked by a random magazine as he best coach in the MWC. This wasn't a fans list...but a 3rd parties list. Nobody has made the claim he is the best in the mwc...but we have a slew of fans trying to prove he isn't.

Good stuff guys.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Where would this coach rank coming into the MWC?
Record Post Season
12-3 DII Champ
13-2 DII Champ
11-2 DII Quarterfinal
11-2 DII Quarterfinal
13-2 DI-AA Champ Game
15-1 DI-AA Champ
11-2 DI-AA Quarterfinal
Joe was a good coach...his fault was he was too loyal to his offensive coordinator. Nobody will dispute that he had some of the best Wyoming defenses in recent memory.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:
lakesbison wrote:Well. Sorry to hear that man. It's a culture thing, I've watched bohl and NDSU win 43 of 45 games and I don't remember how to cheer for a loser. (Oh wait, I have Vikings season tickets haha)

I'm just saying. Culture and attitude helps lot, losers lament hurts a lot, that's all. You all know I'm a wyo fan
Culture and attitude occurs BECAUSE you win 43 of 45 games. It's easy to feel like a winner when you win 96% of your games.
Nobody is saying that Bohl is going to come in and win 80-90% of his games right off the bat. That culture at NDSU didn't come right away. Bohl built it. Thats why a select few of us here think he'll do the same at UW.
Exactly my point.

You're ragging on us for not having a winning culture and attitude. It doesn't come right away. Bohl has to build it.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BackHarlowRoad wrote:You're ragging on us for not having a winning culture and attitude. It doesn't come right away. Bohl has to build it.
No, I understand you don't have the culture. But a majority here also don't seem to have the attitude/faith/belief that Bohl is going to turn it around.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:This board is comedy....We have a solid new head coach who was picked by a random magazine as he best coach in the MWC. This wasn't a fans list...but a 3rd parties list. Nobody has made the claim he is the best in the mwc...but we have a slew of fans trying to prove he isn't.

Good stuff guys.
Bohl is a great hire. Personally, I think he might have been the best coach available for Wyoming out of ANY candidate that went anywhere. Certainly there were higher profile guys, but I think Bohl fits WYO better than any other candidate. This article claims he is the best in the MWC.

Despite all the sunshine being pumped in the Spring, more new coaching hires fail in the MWC than succeed. It is what it is. I think he will be successful, but his commitment to the pro-style O and Tampa 2 could be as much his downfall as Glenn's OC was to him?

Definitely a good hire, but coaching in the MWC has challenges Bohl hasn't seen before. A good MWC coach overcomes those challenges and wins. Until we see that, it is awful tough to throw a ranking out there. You are right, however, good press is always good.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Where would this coach rank coming into the MWC?
Record Post Season
12-3 DII Champ
13-2 DII Champ
11-2 DII Quarterfinal
11-2 DII Quarterfinal
13-2 DI-AA Champ Game
15-1 DI-AA Champ
11-2 DI-AA Quarterfinal
Joe was a good coach...his fault was he was too loyal to his offensive coordinator. Nobody will dispute that he had some of the best Wyoming defenses in recent memory.
I agree for the most part. D's were good as long as we didn't see lots of speed. Really good teams still lit us up but certainly solid defenses for the MWC.

Agreed that Glenn was a pretty good coach; I was just curious where people would rank him in today's MWC.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:You're ragging on us for not having a winning culture and attitude. It doesn't come right away. Bohl has to build it.
No, I understand you don't have the culture. But a majority here also don't seem to have the attitude/faith/belief that Bohl is going to turn it around.
No, some of us just don't worship the ground Bohl walks on, yet. He hasn't coached one game for us. I've bought in 100% on the past few hires only to watch them crumble so this one I am taking a more watch and see approach. I like what I see and think Bohl is a very good coach and will probably be successful here. However, I do have some issues/questions to wait and see about. Namely the tampa2, power offense, and to a lesser extent recruiting strategy. Some of these NDSU fans think if we don't treat Bohl like a god among men we are disrepecting him or don't beleive in him or the program. I think he is a good coach but I'm not going to annoint him before he ever coaches a game.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote: No, some of us just don't worship the ground Bohl walks on, yet. He hasn't coached one game for us. I've bought in 100% on the past few hires only to watch them crumble so this one I am taking a more watch and see approach. I like what I see and think Bohl is a very good coach and will probably be successful here. However, I do have some issues/questions to wait and see about. Namely the tampa2, power offense, and to a lesser extent recruiting strategy. Some of these NDSU fans think if we don't treat Bohl like a god among men we are disrepecting him or don't beleive in him or the program. I think he is a good coach but I'm not going to annoint him before he ever coaches a game.
Good post....well said.

Its the honeymoon period though....all is well until the games are being played. I still think this team is a mystery going into the Griz game. After that game, we'll have a better grasp on how 2014 will go.
hithere
Ranch Hand

TSpoke wrote:
No, some of us just don't worship the ground Bohl walks on, yet. He hasn't coached one game for us. I've bought in 100% on the past few hires only to watch them crumble so this one I am taking a more watch and see approach. I like what I see and think Bohl is a very good coach and will probably be successful here. However, I do have some issues/questions to wait and see about. Namely the tampa2, power offense, and to a lesser extent recruiting strategy. Some of these NDSU fans think if we don't treat Bohl like a god among men we are disrepecting him or don't beleive in him or the program. I think he is a good coach but I'm not going to annoint him before he ever coaches a game.
Exactly. There is a lot to be hopeful for with Craig Bohl, but he has also never coached one game at UW. In five years time, I hope to be as ridiculously obnoxious in my fandom of Craig Bohl as most NDSU fans appear to be.

And who hires Steve Stanard as a DC? Ugh.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote:No, some of us just don't worship the ground Bohl walks on, yet. He hasn't coached one game for us. I've bought in 100% on the past few hires only to watch them crumble so this one I am taking a more watch and see approach. I like what I see and think Bohl is a very good coach and will probably be successful here. However, I do have some issues/questions to wait and see about. Namely the tampa2, power offense, and to a lesser extent recruiting strategy. Some of these NDSU fans think if we don't treat Bohl like a god among men we are disrepecting him or don't beleive in him or the program. I think he is a good coach but I'm not going to annoint him before he ever coaches a game.
Thats fair. It just seems like I see more posts of "FCS coach getting FCS recruits blah" than "I'm optimistic, but not going overboard yet" Thats where these "NDSU fans" question some of what they read here.

Trust me, I'm from Minnesota. We have our fair share of cynics and skeptics. So when we see a coach as good as Bohl, we jump on board fast.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Hell, this is about as optimistic as WyoNation gets. If you think this is bad, come back mid-season after a few losses (which even BeaverPoke will admit, we are sure to have). Even if the losses are expected and we perform better than most think we should, there will still be a few on here talking about how Bohl isn't the answer. Bottom-line: if you don't like seeing "nonbelievers" in Bohl, you best steer clear once the season gets rolling, because my money is on the banter here getting worse before it gets better.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

hithere wrote:
TSpoke wrote:
Exactly. There is a lot to be hopeful for with Craig Bohl, but he has also never coached one game at UW. In five years time, I hope to be as ridiculously obnoxious in my fandom of Craig Bohl as most NDSU fans appear to be.

And who hires Steve Stanard as a DC? Ugh.
The most successful coach in CSU history hired Stanard as DC.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.