If I were Coach Bohl....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

so they went 3-9 because they didn't have names on the back? I know thats not what your implying, but...
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

LasCrucesPoke wrote:so they went 3-9 because they didn't have names on the back? I know thats not what your implying, but...
lol no not related at all. Just saying that kind of trivial stuff goes out the door if you don't win.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Are you related to Young?
LOL Yeah....it does seem a little on the optimistic side, especially since Young struggled in essentially every scrimmage....and he's clearly 3rd string based on Bohl's roster right now. Unless one of the Freshman goes all Brett Smith on us, Kirkegaard's the opening day starter.
I think that you are overly optimistic. Clearly Young is 4th string. Kirkegaard and Stratton are one and two and Thornton is 3rd string, and then Young is behind Thornton. Thornton threw 2 TD's in the Spring Game and Young, well he didn't lead anything out there.

My issue with the QB's that Wyoming presently has on the roster (minus the incoming freshmen) is that they all have a glaring weakness in their game. Kirkegaard is the best passer but he isn't really a runner and does not have a quick delivery and doesn't have a cannon for an arm. Stratton is by far the best scrambler but is maybe the 3rd best passer amongst the group. Stratton takes off quickly and seems to prefer to run instead of standing in the pocket and passing and when he is running is unable to pass anything other than short dump-offs. Thornton has a nice arm and is a decent scrambler but his decision making is limited and doesn't make the best reads always. Young does not appear to have a grasp of the offense and doesn't appear to have a quick passing motion and certainly isn't a runner. Due to these weakness' they would limit the ability of the offense to be truly balanced and therefore would make the Wyoming offense much easier to defense. Wyoming doesn't need to have a Brett Smith back there, but they do need someone that is dangerous back there and is more balanced in their game to make the offense more dangerous and difficult to defense.

My "reading between the lines" from Coach Bohl's comments, i.e. - the "QB position is still fluid" and "the competition will go into the fall" tells me that he sees the issues with the QB position and it is more than just having a QB knowing the playbook and making the right reads. It has to do with not having enough talent at the QB position. The biggest unknown is how the incoming freshmen figure in all of this. My take is that between Fort and Smith, that Smith would have an advantage slightly over Fort (but I certainly could be wrong) as he actually played against stiffer competition and was way more productive than Fort in his senior year. I wouldn't be surprised if Bohl is looking for a transfer that can be immediately available and would have one year of eligibility remaining so there wouldn't be as much pressure on the incoming freshmen, but again I could be wrong.

The QB position is far from being etched in stone for the fall and Coach Bohl has said this, so I would expect to see some changes before fall camp starts.
Last edited by PotatoCreekPete on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

CampWyo wrote:If you're only looking at numbers, then you weren't at the game. O-line will learn a lot this summer, because it's a lot technique stuff. Based on that, I think Young will surprise. He didn't look like the scrub this board makes him out to be. I think he's the best passer by far, even though he didn't get much of a chance to show it. He may shock people in August. I wouldn't count him out.
What about those of us that were there at the game?
Young did not look good.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
CampWyo
Buckaroo

BeaverPoke wrote:
CampWyo wrote:If you're only looking at numbers, then you weren't at the game. O-line will learn a lot this summer, because it's a lot technique stuff. Based on that, I think Young will surprise. He didn't look like the scrub this board makes him out to be. I think he's the best passer by far, even though he didn't get much of a chance to show it. He may shock people in August. I wouldn't count him out.
Young did not look good.
I'm not saying he had an outstanding game. And you saying he didn't look good is only your opinion. There are others that thought he showed some of the skills he has that are better than the others. So, who's the experts, you and others that didn't think he did well or those that did? If some are anti Young, they saw things to support it, and if you're pro Young, there were things to support that. Frankly though, you could say that about all of them.
CampWyo
Buckaroo

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
Are you related to Young?
I just think it's really funny to see the posts from all the "experts" on here. The great evaluators of talent!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I actually think you need an even more intelligent QB in the pro-style O. The benefits of the pro-style are that you can have a lot of different formations and lots of options. However, your QB needs to be fantastic at reading Defenses and the QB needs to make anticipation throws.

With that said, our QB struggles have some time to work out. I agree with most that it is a concern. However, the O-line has to gain a completely new mentality. It is going to take time. If the O-line can pull it together, then the QB just needs to be a decent threat at hitting the 10-20 yard throws. I think all the QBs will get better at it with more time. 15 days isn't much time to get rhythm, reads, etc. down. It is hard to be at your best when you have to "think" as much as the O-line and QBs probably do right now.

If the running game is suspect, then we will need a fantastic QB to overcome that. The O-line has to really step up or it will be a loooong season.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I actually think you need an even more intelligent QB in the pro-style O. The benefits of the pro-style are that you can have a lot of different formations and lots of options. However, your QB needs to be fantastic at reading Defenses and the QB needs to make anticipation throws.

With that said, our QB struggles have some time to work out. I agree with most that it is a concern. However, the O-line has to gain a completely new mentality. It is going to take time. If the O-line can pull it together, then the QB just needs to be a decent threat at hitting the 10-20 yard throws. I think all the QBs will get better at it with more time. 15 days isn't much time to get rhythm, reads, etc. down. It is hard to be at your best when you have to "think" as much as the O-line and QBs probably do right now.

If the running game is suspect, then we will need a fantastic QB to overcome that. The O-line has to really step up or it will be a loooong season.
"If the running game is suspect, then we will need a fantastic QB to overcome that. The O-line has to really step up or it will be a loooong season." Truer words have never been spoken. The Offensive Line really has to become a force or it will be a long season.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

We sure gave up a lot of sacks for being a running team
W-Y, Until I Die!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

My Concern is that if we are a power run team opposing teams will put seven in the box to stop the run and force us to pass. If, and when that happens we are going to be forced to pass the ball and from the looks of things that is going to be a tale task!
hithere
Ranch Hand

CampWyo wrote: I just think it's really funny to see the posts from all the "experts" on here. The great evaluators of talent!
You're one of those evaluators, fella. Message boards are the great equalizers of experts.

If you're related to the guy, that's fine. When I read message boards, I appreciate most posts with insider information. For the good of the program, if Young redshirts and benefits the team in the long run, then that's a win-win for everyone. There's not really a sense of urgency right now when it comes to Aaron Young as qb, in my opinion.

5-7 next year would be fantastic.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Slow Hand wrote:My Concern is that if we are a power run team opposing teams will put seven in the box to stop the run and force us to pass. If, and when that happens we are going to be forced to pass the ball and from the looks of things that is going to be a tale task!
Not really, we don't have Brett Smith on the team this year, but we do have guys who can throw and guys who can catch. The QB's are still a work in progress, but all but one still threw over 50% on Saturday. By no means are we set at QB, but these guys had strides during spring ball, will make strides over the summer, and will improve during fall drills.

We are loaded at WR and are big. Our running game will open up the passing game. I think we'll be fine when the season starts.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Speaking of I will say I am impressed at Vigen's play designs and his ability to get playmakers involved.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
theman12
Buckaroo

I'm excited from what I saw from the running backs. Even though the o line was over matched they still found holes.

I'm also excited to see May he's number 1 on the depth chart for a reason. He must be the most talented.

I was also really excited to see Brian Hill on the sideline next to May. He's huge for a 17 or 18 year old. If I didn't know better I would've thought he was a JUCO player.

All in all we're going to have a great group of RB's this year and for years to come
Last edited by theman12 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

If we still of o-line issues this fall I guess we would see Thorton or Stratton. Nothing against Kirk, but the other 2 have better legs. I would really like to see Stratton, in my opinion he reminds me of the attitude Brett Smith had. I think any QB, minus Young, would be ok in the system this year with the talent around him. Young just needs a redshirt and let the game come to him. I won't be able to see a game this year until November since I will be deployed, but will always try and listen to the games. Without Fort or Smith in town yet my depth chart for QB is Stratton, Thorton, Kirk, and I believe they all bring a different tangible to the game.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

CampWyo wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:
Are you related to Young?
I just think it's really funny to see the posts from all the "experts" on here. The great evaluators of talent!
I think it's funny that there are now at least 2 posters on this board who talk exclusively Aaron Young. It's obvious that you and Wyodawg12 are connected to the guy in some way. I'm just curious what that connection is. The bias is strong.

I'm no expert and I wasn't at the Spring Game, so maybe he is way better than his stats show. During the season, however, stat lines that look like Young's usually belong to the losing team. Just an observation, don't need to be Bill Walsh to see that.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

There was a third poster as well...I think all three are close friends of Young, since they joined the boards the same time that he joined the team. There is nothing wrong with supporting your friend, but you also have to be honest with yourself. Sometimes you have to take the blinders off and call the baby ugly.

No one is saying that Young is a bad QB. In fact, we all want to see ALL the Pokes succeed, even Young. The truth, however, is that he is buried in the depth chart. He may have a huge upside, but it has not been proven at this point. Maybe he needs to grow some more from within the system. We don't know, either.

Whoever is QB this fall has a lot of work cut out for them...and we'll support whoever that is.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

kdwrightuwyo wrote:No one is saying that Young is a bad QB. In fact, we all want to see ALL the Pokes succeed, even Young.
+1

I, for one, would love to see Young become the bad ass his friends say he is. Give me a reason to jump on the bandwagon, Aaron.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

CampWyo wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Young did not look good.
I'm not saying he had an outstanding game. And you saying he didn't look good is only your opinion. There are others that thought he showed some of the skills he has that are better than the others. So, who's the experts, you and others that didn't think he did well or those that did? If some are anti Young, they saw things to support it, and if you're pro Young, there were things to support that. Frankly though, you could say that about all of them.

If anything I was pro-Young, so don't get all preachy to me.
I thought Young was good until Bohl made him 3rd or 4th string.
So, yeah back to the evaluators...I think Bohl knows what he is doing. If Young was truly the best QB he would be the starter right now.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Slow Hand wrote:My Concern is that if we are a power run team opposing teams will put seven in the box to stop the run and force us to pass. If, and when that happens we are going to be forced to pass the ball and from the looks of things that is going to be a tale task!
Running on a seven man front is no problem. Eight And nine in the box is what we will be dealing with. Our Qbs have to make the throws and when pressure comes get rid of it. I saw to many TFLs and Sacks. Biggest concern is O line, Qb and defensive depth. If we can get consistant blocking Wick and May will take care of the rest. If Kirk is our guy then so be it, I dont see anyone else starting at Qb unless the Florida Qb is another Brett Smith or ACS.