If I were Coach Bohl....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I could run the spread offense
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:A bit off tangent, but the tampa 2 with a 4-2-5 defense in ncaa 14 with the right players is actually pretty effective.

And the 3-4 is pretty worthless.
Boise made a killing in their prime under Yates in the 4-2-5. 3-4 doesn't seem to work well for any non-AQ school to be honest.....we'll see if it lasts for Utah State.
I've held some pretty high octane offenses to just over 200 yards of offense and 10 or fewer points. Pretty interesting.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Take a look back at the NDSU game-winning drive against Kansas State for an idea of his offensive philosophies.

-Wasn't all I-Formations. 10 plays in shotgun (4 Runs, 6 Passes)
-Down by 6 with 8:58 left, 18-play drive, 11 runs for 27 yards. No panic when run game wasn't working.
-Longest play was 8 yards (on a 3rd & 7).

One drive, 8:30 off the clock. That's more than 1/3rd of the time of possession Wyoming averaged last year, dead last in FBS.

Also a reminder, the Mountain West had 6 (well, 7, including WYO) of the 22 worst run defenses in FBS in 2013. That is something that Bohl will look to exploit.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

2,3,4 and 5 receiver sets on that drive. Well done drive, and great play calling.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

I've said it before I'll say it again, I was unsure about Vigen, but the guy seems to have an a great ability to mix up plays and formations, and an ability to get the ball in the hands of playmakers...better than DC. GASP
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Lots of run, run, pass, punt in our future.... Running game is great if you have an o-line that can hold a block.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

HR_Poke wrote:Lots of run, run, pass, punt in our future.... Running game is great if you have an o-line that can hold a block.
Did you watch that drive? 18 plays, averaging 2.5 ypc. The run blocking was not good for most of that drive, yet it went 18 plays.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote:
HR_Poke wrote:Lots of run, run, pass, punt in our future.... Running game is great if you have an o-line that can hold a block.
Did you watch that drive? 18 plays, averaging 2.5 ypc. The run blocking was not good for most of that drive, yet it went 18 plays.
So bohl brought his entire offense with him scholarships and all? We couldn't run or pass against our own defense this spring and you are acting like somehow we are magically going to be miles better all of the sudden.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

It actually looked like a few read options on the deep hand-offs. Some clutch plays on that drive.

It does look like the O needs about 4 seconds from snap to throw.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

NDSU's 2013 offensive talent far outweighs what Wyo has right now in my eyes. We may see this sort of drive in the future but not next year.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BackHarlowRoad wrote:NDSU's 2013 offensive talent far outweighs what Wyo has right now in my eyes. We may see this sort of drive in the future but not next year.
Yes, but comparing the NDSU talent to Kansas State can't be too far off from comparing Wyoming to other MWC programs IMO.

I'm not saying we'll win every game, but we'll be competitive all season long.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

You're right at times the run blocking was not great. Almost looked like our line the first couple plays. The pass blocking was exceptional though. The NDSU team has something that we don't though. A Qb that can make plays with his arm and his feet. When I look at the NDSU o line they do execute very well together. When a guard pulls the backside tackle makes excellent cut blocks, stopping all the backside pursuit. It looks like a very complicated line scheme. Which is probably why our line is behind at the moment.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

BackHarlowRoad wrote:NDSU's 2013 offensive talent far outweighs what Wyo has right now in my eyes. We may see this sort of drive in the future but not next year.
+1000
cowboyz
Cowpoke

At least it'll be different than the pass, pass, run, punt we've been watching.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

cowboyz wrote:
You mean the pass, run, sack, punt?
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

cowboyz wrote:
tomato tomahto
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

The best part of this is they are not more talented on paper. They are more talented because of how they were developed and coached. IMO, the only positions NDSU has more talent is on the OLine and QB....I think we are very solid at RB and WR.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

JimmyDimes wrote: The best part of this is they are not more talented on paper. They are more talented because of how they were developed and coached. IMO, the only positions NDSU has more talent is on the OLine and QB....I think we are very solid at RB and WR.
Recruiting and talent evaluations are nothing more than a crap shoot at these levels. Kids get a star rating because some website thinks they need one. They figure is anyone is recruiting them at all, they should be worth a star or two.

You get up into the 3+ stars and things are a little different.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

JimmyDimes wrote:The best part of this is they are not more talented on paper. They are more talented because of how they were developed and coached. IMO, the only positions NDSU has more talent is on the OLine and QB....I think we are very solid at RB and WR.
Yeah, problem is without a good QB and O-Line, having good WRs and RBs is moot.

It's like having great tires on a car that doesn't run.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:The best part of this is they are not more talented on paper. They are more talented because of how they were developed and coached. IMO, the only positions NDSU has more talent is on the OLine and QB....I think we are very solid at RB and WR.
Yeah, problem is without a good QB and O-Line, having good WRs and RBs is moot.

It's like having great tires on a car that doesn't run.
Good analogy, Harlow! :thumb:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!