Question for those that saw the spring game?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

What were your thoughts on the spring game?

Do we have a quarterback that you would feel comfortable leading a Mountain West team?

What position are you most pleased with?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Refusing to give any player an "F"...here is how I saw it:

#13 C+

#11 C-

#9 C+

#12 D-
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

gopokes1399 wrote:What were your thoughts on the spring game?
We are awful.

Do we have a quarterback that you would feel comfortable leading a Mountain West team?
Hell no.

Running back.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Personally, I thought the team looked good overall. I've seen spring games in the past and this was a much cleaner game than I remember.

I think we have a QB who can do the job....a lot will depend on if they continue to grow. Stratton's legs will remind a person of Brett Smith. He has a decent arm, but IMO wasn't making quick enough reads. Hopefully that will come.

The offense was able to put drives together, but a couple turnovers led to defensive scores or gave the brown team the ball.

The defense overall looked great. It is a good sign when Tyran Finely is on the gold team along with Hasi'api'api (sp). There is depth and size there. The front 4 were rotating 3 to 4 players regularly. The linebackers are big and were without Nzoecha.

I also think our running backs will be a strong point. May didn't play, but all other running backs looked the part.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

1. Tackling looks way better. We didn't have many missed tackles.
2. I was impressed with Colby. He has a strong arm, makes good decisions, and had some very accurate throws.
3. Puletasi is much bigger. I think our defensive line is as good as any in the MWC. They look night and day better than last year.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 86 times

Thoughts on the Spring Game: It was a lot of fun. There was a good crowd and the weather was great. My boys had a good time at the pre-game "clinic" and the players that participated looked and acted as though they were having fun as well. As for the actual game, unless we can show we can throw the ball, we are going to see a lot of defenders within 5-8 yards of the line of scrimmage. There were glimmers, but I don't think we are anywhere close to a D-1 level offense at this point. And while the defense looks better, I cannot forget last year. I hope they prove that our issues were tied to coaching last year, and the year before and the year before...but matched with a hapless offense, this year could resemble Glenn's tenure - only without Breske's stout defenses to hold the opponent's score under 20.

Quarterback: Yikes. Stratton was the best of the bunch, but missed a ton of reads and a ton of throws - and I hated his sack and fumble - very TCU/Bramletesque. The protection from the line broke down waaaayyyy too much to get a real read on the QBs, which is problematic in and of itself, but when they had time, Thorton seemed the best at getting the ball away and on time. Kirk is a great kid, but simply put, is not a D1 QB. Young...well...is young and also does not appear to be a D1 QB.

Position that I am most pleased with: In a fit of schizophrenia, I will say the defensive line. They stopped the run well and got pressure on the QBs...and a lot of it.

As an aside, I will say that I have great, great hope for the Cowboys, even as early as mid-2014. I will also say that I loved seeing a fullback in the backfield, a huddle and a complete absence of rugby-style punts. And I will conclude by saying that I think it is cool that they are re-engaging the fan again, especially little fans. Very cool.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

gopokes1399 wrote:What were your thoughts on the spring game?

I have given most of my observations earlier, so I won't repeat them. But to answer your questions:

"Do we have a quarterback that you would feel comfortable leading a Mountain West team?" Not to hurt anyone's feelings but right now to be honest I would have to answer this question with a NO.

"What position are you most pleased with?" Defensive ends.

I am not hanging my head with this team as I am truly impressed with the Defense and they have the chance to be one of the best in the MWC. The Offense is a work-in-progress.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Tough to really glean a lot of substantive things from any spring game...

That said I thought there were some positives, namely the running game which I believe will be a huge staple of the offense this season (as Bohl has been saying since he arrived in Laramie)...a lot of depth at that position, and Omar Stover looked like a more confident college football player, which might be expected in his 2nd year.

I think our defense has improved, but against a still very much in flux offensive line its tough to get a real grasp of just how good our front 7 will/can be.

I actually saw JD Krill catch a pass...our receivers will be above average and Jalen Claiborne is going to have a break out season I think...Rufran sat out of course.

As to our quarterback situation I thought that Tommy Thornton showed the best play of the 4 guys who saw action...Stratton is a tough nosed kid who will run through a wall and although not a serious option to be the starting qb (my opinion anyway) I could see a package of plays for him to take advantage of his mobility. He is so easy to root for but lacks the arm strength to make out pattern throws.

Kirkagard looks like a guy more comfortable with everything and this is to be expected for a guy who has been around as long as he has...but I thought Thornton outplayed him and has a higher upside.

I would not get as down on Aaron Young as some have been here...did not show a lot on Saturday but he's got the 'it' you want out of a quarterback...he's got the best arm strength of any quarterback on the roster, and he might just have the best touch on his passes of any of the QB's.

Overall it was a good day to see the Pokes back out on the field...

Best thought I came away with this past Saturday was seeing Coach Bohl and his staff in charge and feeling as though the program is in excellent hands, they'll pour an initial foundation. Next year will be better than this year, 16' better than 15, 17' better than 16...repeat.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

DocHolliday wrote:Tough to really glean a lot of substantive things from any spring game...

That said I thought there were some positives, namely the running game which I believe will be a huge staple of the offense this season (as Bohl has been saying since he arrived in Laramie)...a lot of depth at that position, and Omar Stover looked like a more confident college football player, which might be expected in his 2nd year.

I think our defense has improved, but against a still very much in flux offensive line its tough to get a real grasp of just how good our front 7 will/can be.

I actually saw JD Krill catch a pass...our receivers will be above average and Jalen Claiborne is going to have a break out season I think...Rufran sat out of course.

As to our quarterback situation I thought that Tommy Thornton showed the best play of the 4 guys who saw action...Stratton is a tough nosed kid who will run through a wall and although not a serious option to be the starting qb (my opinion anyway) I could see a package of plays for him to take advantage of his mobility. He is so easy to root for but lacks the arm strength to make out pattern throws.

Kirkagard looks like a guy more comfortable with everything and this is to be expected for a guy who has been around as long as he has...but I thought Thornton outplayed him and has a higher upside.

I would not get as down on Aaron Young as some have been here...did not show a lot on Saturday but he's got the 'it' you want out of a quarterback...he's got the best arm strength of any quarterback on the roster, and he might just have the best touch on his passes of any of the QB's.

Best thought I came away with this past Saturday was seeing Coach Bohl and his staff in charge and feeling as though the program is in excellent hands, they'll pour an initial foundation. Next year will be better than this year, 16' better than 15, 17' better than 16...repeat.
I like Stratton, but having a package for him would not work as the defense will obviously know hes going in to run. Every package DC had for him last year turned into a major cluster f-word. We lost serious yardage and blew scoring opportunities with these dumb ass trick plays. Vigen seems much more realistic than DC was at calling plays. DC went away from everything that worked in the first 6 games. Dont see Vigan as a reckless play caller. On another note I love what Stannard has done to our defense. He has a realistic vision of what the players can and cannot do. He turned one of the most ridiculous tackling teams into a sound defense based on fundamentals. I know its only spring ball and it really doesn't mean poop taking advantage of an offense in transition, but its a positive sign.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

As far a QBs go, Thornton had the best day but against the 2nd defense. Kirk looked pretty good and looked like he could make the throws needed. Sam was very athletic and made some good throws but also missed some he should have made. Young didn't look great but also showed some flashes. I think right now I would rank them the same way they were ranked in the depth chart. 1. Kirk 2. Thorton or Sam 4. Young. I think Thornton has a higher ceiling than Kirk but Kirk is probably better at this point. And the seperation between the 4 qbs is close enough that who will be the starter come fall is going to come down to who progresses the most over the summer.
Larawie
Ranch Hand

I thought the "D" looked pretty strong, but that's to be expected. I'm more of an "O" guy and concentrated on that area. I'm pickin' #11 to start at QB. No happy feet, good pocket presence and seemed to have the best grasp of the "O." #1 on the Gold is definitely the playmaker and will be an important cog this season. The kid has a gift.

On a negative note, there was only one Men's Room available and, even after askin' one of the attendants, I couldn't find it. Watched the entire second half with my leg's crossed. :eek:
Arthur Fonzerelli
Buckaroo

WHERE WILL BRETt GO hi guys WAHOO!!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:WHERE WILL BRETt GO hi guys WAHOO!!!!
You drunk?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Larawie
Ranch Hand

DocHolliday wrote:Tough to really glean a lot of substantive things from any spring game...

I agree. Met the HC and a couple of his assistants, albeit briefly, and came away with the same thought. Firm handshakes, smiles, acted interested and engagin'. Off to a good start in my opinion.
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote:
Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:WHERE WILL BRETt GO hi guys WAHOO!!!!
You drunk?
And I thought my drunk posts were bad.lol