Successful Pro-Style Os in CFB?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

mwc fan wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:We all knew this was going to be a transition year. And our o-line in the spread wasnt exactly good either. These things take time. Give Bohl a couple years before demanding great success.
Not really demanding great sucess, Just progress. There wasn't much between scrimmages. The thing is if our defensive line is making strides but not the Oline. Hopefully they get it down by the start of the season.
The difference is, the d-line had the talent, but not the coaching. The o-line was far more questionable to begin with. And didn't even block well in the spread against 3 man rushes. That should tell you how much further the o-line as to go.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:
mwc fan wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:We all knew this was going to be a transition year. And our o-line in the spread wasnt exactly good either. These things take time. Give Bohl a couple years before demanding great success.
Not really demanding great sucess, Just progress. There wasn't much between scrimmages. The thing is if our defensive line is making strides but not the Oline. Hopefully they get it down by the start of the season.
The difference is, the d-line had the talent, but not the coaching. The o-line was far more questionable to begin with. And didn't even block well in the spread against 3 man rushes. That should tell you how much further the o-line as to go.
I agree with that. Probably one of the mitigating factors that led Brett Smith to declare this year. After all the concussions he probably didn't want to risk serious injury from the lack of blocking.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Cornpoke wrote:X's and O's are overrated. A team could win using the single wing offense if properly executed with good talent. It's innovation to adapt to what defenses are used to seeing on a weekly basis that drives different offensive philosophies. I would argue Auburn this past year would be just as successful running the ball with any style offense.

I think the spread will become less popular to use as defenses become more and more accustomed to defending it. Just like happened with the veer, wishbone, run-n-shoot, etc. However until the rules allow pass defense the freedom they used to have, the passing game will continue to become more prevalent.
This. Ultimately....its how you recruit and develop players that wins ball games in college football, especially at the FBS level.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:Nebraska under Tom Osborne
Pre-BCS. There are obviously lots of pro-style options in the history of CFB. I was wondering what Gang of 5 teams used it now. They are lower profile teams that we don't see on TV so it is a little more difficult to know what offense Gang of 5 teams run.
I've never even heard of "Gang of 5", so what are you talking about?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Pre-BCS. There are obviously lots of pro-style options in the history of CFB. I was wondering what Gang of 5 teams used it now. They are lower profile teams that we don't see on TV so it is a little more difficult to know what offense Gang of 5 teams run.
I've never even heard of "Gang of 5", so what are you talking about?
:coffee:

The "Gang of 5" refers to these conferences:

Mountain West, Sun Belt, American Athletic, Conference USA and Mid-American
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

MrTitleist wrote:
Wasn't Nebraska a wishbone team?
No. I formation. Nebraska was so good in those days they only needed one formation :lol:
I'm good for 3!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

HR_poke, we may not have an offensive line to support a strong power running game, but we don't have an offensive line OR quarterback to support a strong passing game either. Haha.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

BackHarlowRoad wrote:HR_poke, we may not have an offensive line to support a strong power running game, but we don't have an offensive line OR quarterback to support a strong passing game either. Haha.
This is true. DC sucked at balanced recruiting. We are now 7 deep at WR. Thats about 6-8 scholarships we could have had for other positions like lineman or secondary.