Successful Pro-Style Os in CFB?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

I'm not meaning this as a knock and I know some here are going to take this as critical, but what are some of the successful pro-style offenses in the Gang of 5 ranks?

I know that Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, LSU, Louisville, Michigan, Stanford, USC, and Wisconsin all run pro, but they also have an obvious recruiting advantage.

Pro-style definitely relies on players beating players, so I understand it working well at those schools. I'm sure a gang of 5 school has used it successfully, but I couldn't think of one. Any ideas?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

There definately aren't many and it is one of my questions with the new staff but there are some you could look at. SDSU under rocky long have been pretty successful and I would consider them Pro style.
Boise during their hey day was maybe pro style, I think they considered themselves multiple but they weren't spread. the last couple years I think they went more spread but when they were playing in BCS games they took snaps from under center as well as shotgun and I htink was considered more pro style.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I'm not meaning this as a knock and I know some here are going to take this as critical, but what are some of the successful pro-style offenses in the Gang of 5 ranks?

I know that Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, LSU, Louisville, Michigan, Stanford, USC, and Wisconsin all run pro, but they also have an obvious recruiting advantage.

Pro-style definitely relies on players beating players, so I understand it working well at those schools. I'm sure a gang of 5 school has used it successfully, but I couldn't think of one. Any ideas?
It also worked well at NDSU where coach Craig Bohl led the Bison to a 7-3 record against FBC teams....all on the road.

Obviously recruiting to a power conference is much easier that recruiting to Wyoming. But, recruiting is just getting some talented players. I think it is key to be able to build and develop the guys they do recruit. Building them up in the weight room and on the field can make any player much better than they were out of high school.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I'm not meaning this as a knock and I know some here are going to take this as critical, but what are some of the successful pro-style offenses in the Gang of 5 ranks?

I really feel that you need to go into the football offices and sit down with Coach Bohl and voice your concerns. I am sure he would give you an answer that would be much more relevant than anything anyone here is going to say.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
I really feel that you need to go into the football offices and sit down with Coach Bohl and voice your concerns. I am sure he would give you an answer that would be much more relevant than anything anyone here is going to say.
And here would be an example of one taking my question out of context. This isn't a knock or being critical. I was asking what other Gang of 5 schools run the pro-style effectively.

SDSU was a good example. Rocky Long's O does have that.

Interestingly, if you take the O-linemen size of the schools I mentioned and run that against Big 5 teams that run a spread (either run oriented or pass oriented), the size difference in linemen is negligible. I think a common misconception is that you have to have monsters up front to run a successful pro-style O. Good for us because coaching should go farther than size.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote: It also worked well at NDSU where coach Craig Bohl led the Bison to a 7-3 record against FBC teams....all on the road.

Obviously recruiting to a power conference is much easier that recruiting to Wyoming. But, recruiting is just getting some talented players. I think it is key to be able to build and develop the guys they do recruit. Building them up in the weight room and on the field can make any player much better than they were out of high school.
I didn't say it couldn't work, I asked where is it working now in the Gang of 5 ranks. This wasn't a knock at all on our program. For the Gang of 5 programs that run pro-style, I wanted to look at where their recruits come from, what some of their stats were during the season, etc.

In other words, I was curious to find a comparison and interested to see how it was working elsewhere.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote:There definately aren't many and it is one of my questions with the new staff but there are some you could look at. SDSU under rocky long have been pretty successful and I would consider them Pro style.
Boise during their hey day was maybe pro style, I think they considered themselves multiple but they weren't spread. the last couple years I think they went more spread but when they were playing in BCS games they took snaps from under center as well as shotgun and I htink was considered more pro style.
Good points and thanks. I'll have to back and watch some BSU games. After you mentioned them, I couldn't remember what kind of O they ran. They did have some dang good linemen and I think you are right.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
TSpoke wrote:There definately aren't many and it is one of my questions with the new staff but there are some you could look at. SDSU under rocky long have been pretty successful and I would consider them Pro style.
Good points and thanks. I'll have to back and watch some BSU games. After you mentioned them, I couldn't remember what kind of O they ran. They did have some dang good linemen and I think you are right.
CSU is running a pro-style now. But off hand I can't think of many G of 5 programs that run a pro-style. Maybe some of the AAC teams, Can't remember what Eastern Carolina runs.... Most teams out west are running a version of the read option or spread to make up for poor line play. Fresno switched under Deruyter to a spread.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

X's and O's are overrated. A team could win using the single wing offense if properly executed with good talent. It's innovation to adapt to what defenses are used to seeing on a weekly basis that drives different offensive philosophies. I would argue Auburn this past year would be just as successful running the ball with any style offense.

I think the spread will become less popular to use as defenses become more and more accustomed to defending it. Just like happened with the veer, wishbone, run-n-shoot, etc. However until the rules allow pass defense the freedom they used to have, the passing game will continue to become more prevalent.
I'm good for 3!
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

Cornpoke wrote:X's and O's are overrated. A team could win using the single wing offense if properly executed with good talent. It's innovation to adapt to what defenses are used to seeing on a weekly basis that drives different offensive philosophies. I would argue Auburn this past year would be just as successful running the ball with any style offense.

I think the spread will become less popular to use as defenses become more and more accustomed to defending it. Just like happened with the veer, wishbone, run-n-shoot, etc. However until the rules allow pass defense the freedom they used to have, the passing game will continue to become more prevalent.
Why not continue to exploit the passing game instead of relying on a power run game then?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Nebraska under Tom Osborne
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

HR_Poke wrote:
Cornpoke wrote:X's and O's are overrated. A team could win using the single wing offense if properly executed with good talent. It's innovation to adapt to what defenses are used to seeing on a weekly basis that drives different offensive philosophies. I would argue Auburn this past year would be just as successful running the ball with any style offense.

Why not continue to exploit the passing game instead of relying on a power run game then?
From what I have seen Bohl uses the passing game to setup the run as well. He likes a balanced offense. Which can be a huge advantage to the passing game if they can force the defense to stack the box and respect the run. That's when you get the big plays through your passing game offensively.
I'm good for 3!
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

Cornpoke wrote:
HR_Poke wrote:

From what I have seen Bohl uses the passing game to setup the run as well. He likes a balanced offense. Which can be a huge advantage to the passing game if they can force the defense to stack the box and respect the run. That's when you get the big plays through your passing game offensively.
I guess I don't see it as balanced as much when he runs 60% of the time. And with our o-line I don't see us opening many holes for the running game.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:Nebraska under Tom Osborne
Pre-BCS. There are obviously lots of pro-style options in the history of CFB. I was wondering what Gang of 5 teams used it now. They are lower profile teams that we don't see on TV so it is a little more difficult to know what offense Gang of 5 teams run.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Cornpoke wrote:X's and O's are overrated. A team could win using the single wing offense if properly executed with good talent.
I agree with that but different offenses rely on different strengths. The pro-style requires that your guys are more talented or skilled than the other guys. The spread is an attempt to neutralize talent discrepancies.

I'm not at all saying Bohl won't be successful with it here; I just know there was a trend for GO5 to go to spread. I was curious about other teams "bucking the trend" so to speak and how it was working.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

HR_Poke I agree with what you're saying completely. We flat out don't have an appropriate offensive line to run a power running attack. I understand Bohl was getting our line "Cowboy tough" and it cost us a starting right tackle and another good young lineman who supposedly got picked up by Toledo. Now we also dont have a true Qb with much experience and the times they did play was not memorable. When you look at all the sacks and TFLs this spring it doesn't bode well. We have four months to turn this ship around.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

We all knew this was going to be a transition year. And our o-line in the spread wasn't exactly good either. These things take time. Give Bohl a couple years before demanding great success.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:We all knew this was going to be a transition year. And our o-line in the spread wasnt exactly good either. These things take time. Give Bohl a couple years before demanding great success.
Not really demanding great sucess, Just progress. There wasn't much between scrimmages. The thing is if our defensive line is making strides but not the Oline. Hopefully they get it down by the start of the season.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

joshvanklomp wrote:Nebraska under Tom Osborne
Wasn't Nebraska a wishbone team?
ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

What is a pro-style offense now? 1 back? 2 back? Peyton Manning spends most of his time in the shotgun. St Louis was successful with a 4-wide offense. The only offenses that really haven't taken off in the NFL is Spurrier's Fun N Gun, a Texas Tech style offense, and option based offenses. Chip Kelly is breaking a mold of sorts by bringing his Oregon run-first zone-read offense to the NFL. Plenty of FBS/FCS teams run 1/2 back offenses.. that's the great thing about college football, IMO.. no offense is the same.
ImageImageImageImage