The FBS Split is Near

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Last edited by J-Rod on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Who were the idiots that agreed to that!?
billings
Ranch Hand

Either vote to let them have that or they will leave the NCAA. P5 facing some nasty lawsuits aimed directly at them, and they need to respond to that.

MWC will have the opportunity to match it but won't be forced to like the P5 teams are. My guess is that the small BB only school will vote to not match and be at a real recruiting disadvantage.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I think your title is correct. The end game is another division just like when the split happened before. Majority of Bowls aren't worth squat, so what is the motivation to hold the current structure together? None.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

It seems inevitable.

The 60 or so "big time" schools need to go off and figure out how to manage this multi-billion dollar industry they want to operate.

The rest of us can make arrangements that suit us.
TheCup
Ranch Hand

Functionally, there are already two divisions so who gives a poop. The idea that Wyoming plays in the same "division" as Alabama is little more than a quasi-fictional construct on a piece of paper somewhere.

If the Bohl era doesn't work out for Wyoming, and we pile 6 more mediocre years on top of what we've been for the past 18 years (which is mediocre at best) you can pretty much kiss even the fiction that Wyoming is a "FBS" school goodbye.

The certain success of the playoff system will inevitably lead to a different tv structure. That will lead to more realignment. And that will lead to schools like Wyoming, who have no tv market and a lack of any notable success for almost 20 years, poop out of luck.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

TheCup wrote: If the Bohl era doesn't work out for Wyoming, and we pile 6 more mediocre years on top of what we've been for the past 18 years (which is mediocre at best) you can pretty much kiss even the fiction that Wyoming is a "FBS" school goodbye.
The only thing I disagree with you about Cup, is this part. I think that ship has already sailed. When the restructure occurs, we will be in the group with Idaho, NMSU, USU, etc.

There could be expansion by the P5, but we certainly won't be on the list.

I'm guessing we might still get "pre-season" games with the P5 and perhaps some Bowl games will feature a matchup between their lower level teams and our upper. I do kind of doubt even that; I'm not even sure that we will have the same post-season anymore.

Bottom line, if a fan cared about striving to match up against the big dogs with dreams of big Bowl games, that fan will be sorely disappointed in our future.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
BJC
A Real Cowboy

so lets start a playoff! :popcorn:
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

This is a dream come true for our current way of thinking. No longer do we even have to think about trying to keep up...we can just maintain the status quo and all will be fine at our lower competitive level. And when CSewe has moved on & up, UW fans can look back and say..."ah, what might have been had we only had the inspiration and vision back in the 2000's".

The direction this is heading appears to be very sad for us Wyoming fans.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
TheCup wrote: If the Bohl era doesn't work out for Wyoming, and we pile 6 more mediocre years on top of what we've been for the past 18 years (which is mediocre at best) you can pretty much kiss even the fiction that Wyoming is a "FBS" school goodbye.
The only thing I disagree with you about Cup, is this part. I think that ship has already sailed. When the restructure occurs, we will be in the group with Idaho, NMSU, USU, etc.

There could be expansion by the P5, but we certainly won't be on the list.

I'm guessing we might still get "pre-season" games with the P5 and perhaps some Bowl games will feature a matchup between their lower level teams and our upper. I do kind of doubt even that; I'm not even sure that we will have the same post-season anymore.

Bottom line, if a fan cared about striving to match up against the big dogs with dreams of big Bowl games, that fan will be sorely disappointed in our future.
There is no reason for the P5 conferences to expand. They can break away and play by themselves for all I care. But not for a second to I believe Wyoming will be tosses aside while lets say a SDSU gets an invite. That isn't going to happen.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

JimmyDimes wrote:But not for a second to I believe Wyoming will be tosses aside while lets say a SDSU gets an invite. That isn't going to happen.
As much as it pains me to say, I disagree. If it comes down to TV market & population, which I think will be the case, places like SDSU, NM, CSewe, AFA, UNLV, SJSU, Fresno, Hawaii, will be safe. Wyoming - not so much.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:But not for a second to I believe Wyoming will be tosses aside while lets say a SDSU gets an invite. That isn't going to happen.
As much as it pains me to say, I disagree. If it comes down to TV market & population, which I think will be the case, places like SDSU, NM, CSewe, AFA, UNLV, SJSU, Fresno, Hawaii, will be safe. Wyoming - not so much.
Wyoming has the 2nd largest fan base in the MWC. If any of those programs were worth anything, they would be in a P5 conference already. That, or we'd have a better tv package. Hell, SDSU doesn't even have a stadium to call their own and barely draws what Wyoming does in a city of 3mil. CSU is an afterthought in Colorado....Wyoming gets almost as much press.

Personally, I just don't see what those program bring that would help a P5 conference. And I'm sure they don't want to share what they already have.....nobody is going to want a smaller piece of pie. I could be wrong, just my :twocents:
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

McPeachy wrote:
Market penetration is just as important as market. That's why schools like CSU, SJSU, and UNLV probably aren't going anywhere. I highly doubt the P5 add any more schools. No one else aside from BYU or ND adds enough TV value to justify splitting the money.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote:This is a dream come true for our current way of thinking. No longer do we even have to think about trying to keep up...we can just maintain the status quo and all will be fine at our lower competitive level. And when CSewe has moved on & up, UW fans can look back and say..."ah, what might have been had we only had the inspiration and vision back in the 2000's".

The direction this is heading appears to be very sad for us Wyoming fans.
100% with you. We screwed the pooch. I'll still cheer for WYO, to be sure. However, if it materializes that we are playing in a playoff among the Go5, well, it will suck.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote: There is no reason for the P5 conferences to expand. They can break away and play by themselves for all I care. But not for a second to I believe Wyoming will be tosses aside while lets say a SDSU gets an invite. That isn't going to happen.
Depends on the structure they will need. Who knows, maybe they reorganize and kick some teams out. Maybe some teams opt out of paying athletes and kick themselves out. Lots of unknowns at this point.

IMO, it does look certain that we will be in a separate division entirely.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

This could be a sign of a true FBS playoff system and while some schools won't be happy with it with the P5 gone in it's own world it's actually better for us. I mean those teams will still call upon non P5 schools just like they do now for their schedule.

I see nothing but good coming from this type of a split for smaller schools it's not like those small schools are getting a piece of the pie right now they just get tortured with not being included.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote: There is no reason for the P5 conferences to expand. They can break away and play by themselves for all I care. But not for a second to I believe Wyoming will be tosses aside while lets say a SDSU gets an invite. That isn't going to happen.
That's just not how it works. I don't think Rutgers has any fans, but their large market along with Maryland's got those two into the Big XII. This has nothing to do with the schools themselves and everything to do with market size. Sad reality.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote:
That's just not how it works. I don't think Rutgers has any fans, but their large market along with Maryland's got those two into the Big XII. This has nothing to do with the schools themselves and everything to do with market size. Sad reality.
You mean the Big Ten?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote: You mean the Big Ten?
Yep...that's what I get for posting before drinking any coffee.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

J-Rod wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote: You mean the Big Ten?
Yep...that's what I get for posting before drinking any coffee.
LOL poop...I didn't even notice J-Rod's mistake!!!! Man, I need to wake up!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!