Athletic Dorms

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Most of the football players live off campus. Either at the "Grove" or the "Point" (both are apartment complexes) However the new push from the players is to rent a house. It is my understanding that a bunch of the freshman, like 8 of them, went together and rented a huge house. Keep in mind that each of them, providing they are scholarshipped, get about $1400.00 per month stipend. So the norm in Laramie is $400-$500 per month for rent per person. Can you imagine what they rented for $3200 per month(8 X $400)? Ha Ha.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Slow Hand wrote:Most of the football players live off campus. Either at the "Grove" or the "Point" (both are apartment complexes) However the new push from the players is to rent a house. It is my understanding that a bunch of the freshman, like 8 of them, went together and rented a huge house. Keep in mind that each of them, providing they are scholarshipped, get about $1400.00 per month stipend. So the norm in Laramie is $400-$500 per month for rent per person. Can you imagine what they rented for $3200 per month(8 X $400)? Ha Ha.
$400-$500? That's for a fairly small apartment, unless you have a couple of roommates. $700 on up, you can expect things like a full sized apartment (basement apartment that is the size of a regular house) that has washer, drier, dishwasher, and maybe a few other things. Below that, it depends on the owner/manager really.
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

The Virginian wrote:When I was at Wyoming (off and on between 1972 and 1979) White Hall was all women and we used to call it "The Virgin Island". :D
I hated White Hall. 1 semester and I was out!

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:Most of the football players live off campus. Either at the "Grove" or the "Point" (both are apartment complexes) However the new push from the players is to rent a house. It is my understanding that a bunch of the freshman, like 8 of them, went together and rented a huge house. Keep in mind that each of them, providing they are scholarshipped, get about $1400.00 per month stipend. So the norm in Laramie is $400-$500 per month for rent per person. Can you imagine what they rented for $3200 per month(8 X $400)? Ha Ha.
$400-$500? That's for a fairly small apartment, unless you have a couple of roommates. $700 on up, you can expect things like a full sized apartment (basement apartment that is the size of a regular house) that has washer, drier, dishwasher, and maybe a few other things. Below that, it depends on the owner/manager really.
There are some diamond in the rough places that you can get for a good deal in Laramie. I spent my last 4 years there in a 3 bedroom, 1200+ sq.ft. loft downtown that was under $1000. We had 3-4 people living there, so I never spent more than $325 a month. Also know a guy that rents out his 5-bedroom house and only charges like $1600. If you look even a little bit you can find some great deals in Laramie.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
There are some diamond in the rough places that you can get for a good deal in Laramie. I spent my last 4 years there in a 3 bedroom, 1200+ sq.ft. loft downtown that was under $1000. We had 3-4 people living there, so I never spent more than $325 a month. Also know a guy that rents out his 5-bedroom house and only charges like $1600. If you look even a little bit you can find some great deals in Laramie.
My grandmother, and her father and aunt before her, are/were rental owners here in Laramie, so I'm a bit familiar with it. Though it's a family tradition NOT to make a 6 month or year long lease, but rather to do it month by month.

My grandmother has an effeciency apartment she rents to a nice old lady (retired nurse I think) for about $200 (it's a bedroom/living room, bathroom, and tiny kitchen). She charges her basement apartment which is partially finished with frige/freezer, oven, microwave, dishwasher, washer, drier, 2 bedroom (1 master, one smaller) and tons of storage space for $700 a month (the size is the same as the upstairs). And there's a few in between. But most property managers want 6 month-year long leases with the rent on the effeciency alone almost double what my grandmother charges.
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

The floor I lived on, floor 5 Mac, had swim girls back in 02-03. I think a few of the football players were down on 4. Keep the student athletes in with the rest of the students. For a vast majority, they're in it for the scholarship and the education, even at big schools.
52-56
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:
I should clarify....I meant per person. A house is $1300 or better. Sorry.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I thought all incoming freshman had to live in the dorms? Has Bohl changed that?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

mwc fan wrote:

I thought all incoming freshman had to live in the dorms? Has Bohl changed that?

Would seem weird for UW to change a rule that applies to the entire University just for football players.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

That is how we did it when I was in Laramie, 4 bdrm house that was probably $600 at that time frame saves on a lot of money long as you can keep poop together and deal with bad attitudes etc.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

mwc fan wrote:

Gonna be Sophomores. Still considered Fresh. until we get into Fall camp. LOL