Athletic Dorms

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Does UW have one? I know they used to but then it wasn't legal but now it is as long as reg students stay there as well?

Just seeing all of these ultra nice dorms being advertised by the universities and wondering about this.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

When I was there (granted, that was 10 years ago) the dorms were co-ed and athletes were mixed in everywhere. I know that certain floors had a higher percentage of athletes than others, and that they liked to keep athletes from the same sports kind of in the same area. I lived with a track athlete when I was there.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Umm... really?
There is White, McIntyre, Downy, Hill, Orr, and Hill. There isn't even enough room to make one athlete only.
There is a grand total of 6 dorms at UW, all of which are total crap and the community colleges throughout the state have dorms that are twice as nice.

I've been saying this for years, as have others: WE NEED NEW DORMS!
Screw the athletes man, what about the 2 to 3 thousand kids that come to UW every school year?

We need new dorms for everyone, and the freshman athletes don't need special treatment. They are full of themselves as it is.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

BeaverPoke wrote:Umm... really?
There is White, McIntyre, Downy, Hill, Orr, and Hill. There isn't even enough room to make one athlete only.
There is a grand total of 6 dorms at UW, all of which are total crap and the community colleges throughout the state have dorms that are twice as nice.

Screw the athletes man, what about the 2 to 3 thousand kids that come to UW every school year?

We need new dorms for everyone, and the freshman athletes don't need special treatment. They are full of themselves as it is.

I agree.

All the money being spent east of the campus on apartments is nice, but more $$$ is needed for affordable housing for incoming underclassmen.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
theman12
Buckaroo

I would be full of my self too they are fbs athletes. This is most likely a dream come true. And with Duval there. They are going through workouts that would make the average student give up on life
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Wait.....I thought you said we needed more ath resources etc? The dorms were outdated years ago....no upgrades etc? Good o'l white and orr hall........ :whistle:
billings
Ranch Hand

Crane Hall used to have a lot of athletes when I was there long ago. Others were scattered through the dorms. The last house on the sorority side of frat row was also the athlete training table and a few could stay there. Bunkhouse or something like that.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Seems like MacIntyre had a bunch of athletes living there when I was in school. White had virtually none when I lived in them.
ImageImageImageImage
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

The Bunkhouse became the Honors house around 2000 or so. Not sure if it's still that today. I think the issue back them had to do with the kitchen in the Bunkhouse that only the athletes could use. Could be wrong though.

As a resident, RA, and assistant Hall Director, I lived in Downey and White halls for four years total. Great experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Downey had just been renovated when I moved in (1997), and the plan was to renovate Orr, White and McIntyre in the few years after that. I didn't deal much with Hill or Crane hall, and they housed mostly non-traditional students back then. These renovations were mostly cosmetic, involving beds, desks, countertops, etc. None of the structure was touched then. I know there was a plan back then to completely gut one of them (McIntyre, I think), and turn the rooms into suites. The suites would sleep two or three each, and share a bathroom. the plan was nice, but I don't think the money was ever found. I'll also say that the halls were outdated during that time, but they were liveable and everyone was able to make do.

As for athletes in the halls, the policy back then was to keep several of them close together in one hall, but to spread the teams out throughout all of them. I think this actually came from the athletic dept, and was intended to get the athletes to know other students, and to hopefully attract the students to watch their friends play. It worked to an extent, and I know the Res Life people didn't mind as it kept problems from large groups of athletes to a minimum. Throughout my time, I had residents from football, basketball (mens and womens), soccer, swimming, and golf. Always at least two to four on my floor if any, and they were some of the best kids I had for the most part.

I'll never forget having to deal with a noise complaint that someone made on Patrick Chukwurah. He was just playing music loudly, and had a couple of his friends (and a couple girls) over. I knocked on the door - not knowing it was his room - and this beast of a man who could probably break me like a toothpick answered, I think looking for the pizza guy or something. I asked him to turn down the music, and he complied pretty willingly after a minute or two. Never had another complaint on the guy, and he always said hello to me after that.

IMO, separating athletes is a bad idea. They need to feel like they are part of the university culture, and the other students need to see them on a regular basis. It helps to bring that personal connection to the team, and build a culture that supports the programs.

GO POKES!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

BJC wrote:

Wait.....I thought you said we needed more ath resources etc? The dorms were outdated years ago....no upgrades etc? Good o'l white and orr hall........ :whistle:
We need athletic resources as well as general "not have a 20th century campus" resources.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

theman12 wrote: I would be full of my self too they are fbs athletes. This is most likely a dream come true. And with Duval there. They are going through workouts that would make the average student give up on life
Lol those 3rd string players with 2.0 GPAs in fields like communications are gonna be real full of themselves in 4 years when they make 1/4th as much as the "average" kids.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
theman12 wrote: I would be full of my self too they are fbs athletes. This is most likely a dream come true. And with Duval there. They are going through workouts that would make the average student give up on life
Lol those 3rd string players with 2.0 GPAs in fields like communications are gonna be real full of themselves in 4 years when they make 1/4th as much as the "average" kids.
Let's be honest, that'll happen to many of the first and second string players as well.

And as far as Duval's workouts go - I'm sure they're very intense, but I assume a football player's life is no worse than the average recruit's for the first x months in the military. All I remember is waking up at 5:30 every morning, and then crashing from exhaustion around 10:30 at night, too tired to care that every part of my body was in pain. Sweden isn't very hot, but one of the worst days we had was marching I don't know how many miles in full NBC gear in 85 degree heat with the sun blasting, carrying roughly 70 lbs on our backs, plus our weapons. It's weird seeing people just topple over as they pass out... I have a feeling our officers could lose their jobs if they still did stuff like that today.

To be fair, things seemed almost like a normal job after the first six or so months, though, but I also wasn't exactly a marine or anything. Just your normal Air Force derp.

For random reference, this is more or less what we looked like

I guess that's off topic enough... I agree that athletes should definitely feel they're part of the student body, though.
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

When I was in the dorms the teams were somewhat split up. All the freshman football players were in Downey Hall and the basketball players were in White Hall.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

For the most part the bball players are in the dorms. Except in 2013 when a lot of the team was rooming at The Buckhorn.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

djm19 wrote:For the most part the bball players are in the dorms. Except in 2013 when a lot of the team was rooming at The Buckhorn.
For the most part bball players are in the dorms?
Umm... just the freshman are.

Vorel even wrote an article about how they had their own apartment last offseason. The 624 or whatever they called it at The Grove or whatever apartment complex it was.
The Virginian
Cowpoke

When I was at Wyoming (off and on between 1972 and 1979) White Hall was all women and we used to call it "The Virgin Island". :D
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
djm19 wrote:For the most part the bball players are in the dorms. Except in 2013 when a lot of the team was rooming at The Buckhorn.
For the most part bball players are in the dorms?
Umm... just the freshman are.

Vorel even wrote an article about how they had their own apartment last offseason. The 624 or whatever they called it at The Grove or whatever apartment complex it was.
It was a joke...teasing the idiots at the bar. Disregard.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

The Virginian wrote:When I was at Wyoming (off and on between 1972 and 1979) White Hall was all women and we used to call it "The Virgin Island". :D
Ha! When I was living in McIntire, the girls in Orr were known as the Orr "friendly ladies".
The best thing about it? We didn't come up with that name for them...they did! :lol:
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
The Virginian wrote:When I was at Wyoming (off and on between 1972 and 1979) White Hall was all women and we used to call it "The Virgin Island". :D
Ha! When I was living in McIntire, the girls in Orr were known as the Orr "friendly ladies".
The best thing about it? We didn't come up with that name for them...they did! :lol:
Ha...when I was there we just referred to them as "Dirty Orrs"
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

wellpoke wrote:the halls were outdated during that time, but they were liveable and everyone was able to make do."

IMO, separating athletes is a bad idea. They need to feel like they are part of the university culture, and the other students need to see them on a regular basis. It helps to bring that personal connection to the team, and build a culture that supports the programs.

GO POKES!
I absolutely agree with these two points and especially that the athletes must be part of the overall student body. The teams represent the student body more than the institution itself--and should.