What do you want from Wyo in next 5 years?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

We have all talked about how this seasons we might get to a bowl but probably not and there will be a learning curve blah blah blah.

What do you want Wyo to accomplish in the next 5 seasons?

Personally, I want between 35 and 40 wins, at least 4 bowl games, with 3 bowl wins, and 1 MWC title.
I figure with an average of 13 games per seasons over the next 5 years, the Pokes under Bohl can go between 35-30 and 40-25.

By that 5 year, I think they can win a MWC title.

Maybe a bowl this season, maybe not. Maybe we get to one this season, but not next year.

That along with 2 seasons of going undefeated at home, and hopefully an average of 1 or less home losses per season over the next 5 years.

Make the War a scary place again for opposing teams.

Now, with hoops, I want something like 4 NCAA Tourney trips, and a Sweet 16 with 2 or 3 MWC (regular season or tourney) titles.

Now, if Bohl does what DC did, something like only 2 bowls and only 1 bowl win, and Shyatt can't get us to the NCAA tourney in these next 5 years, will you have any hope for Wyoming athletics ever again?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

At least one maybe two Conference Championships
Beat Boise State both at home AND on that god awful Smurf Turf!!!!
Win every bowl game we play in!!!
Beat BCS (or P5) schools!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

BeaverPoke wrote:Now, if Bohl does what DC did, something like only 2 bowls and only 1 bowl win, and Shyatt can't get us to the NCAA tourney in these next 5 years, will you have any hope for Wyoming athletics ever again?
No. But I'll have a greater HATRED for the unmentionables based in Provo, Utah!!!!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote:At least one maybe two Conference Championships
Beat Boise State both at home AND on that god awful Smurf Turf!!!!
Win every bowl game we play in!!!
Beat BCS (or P5) schools!!!!
I like it Wyokie.

MWC titles would be very nice.
But beating Boise State and some BCS teams would bring recognition and validity to our program.
And obviously winning bowl games would too.

Remember when the Utes had like 11 straight bowl wins?
Sure some of them were low level bowls, but that streak also started before they let every team with a .500 record in.

But every bowl season I remember people on ESPN would talk about how Utah had won "X" bowl games in a row.
The more you get recognition for that, the more respect people have for you.

I don't care if we end up in the NM Bowl this season, but if we get there I want to win it.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

If not conference titles, I want to be in the top 3-4 in the conference on an annual basis. Having sucess in the post seasons like NCAA tourny, or at least NIT tourny in the off years. And bowl games (Poinsettia or Vegas would be a nice change of pace down the line) for football, and winning. Also OOC success, and we'll have quite a few opputunities down the line for it as well (MSU and Oregon this year, Mizzou and other schools down the line). If we can go undefeated even once in football and pile up decent amounts of wins other years (like 8 wins at the minimum) I'd say that would be a highly successful era for Cowboy sports.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Within the next 5 years?

I'd think that if the Cowboys are not playing for a Mountain West Conference championship by 2018-19 then Coach Bohl himself will be disappointed.

Steady growth, better year by year, a tougher football team that represents the state of WYOMING proudly...I'd like to see War Memorial Stadium become a destination of sorts over the next 5 years for kids who want to play championship college football.

I believe Coach Bohl wants to see this - and more - as well.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I'd warn you to not set yourself up for disappointment by setting your expectations too high. 35-40 wins is a lot for a five-year period, especially one that is undergoing such a major overhaul.

The biggest think I want to see first and foremost is a culture change. We've seen the beginnings of it early this offseason but we've still got a ways to go.

Even with the culture changing, the wins might not come overnight.

Using my home-state team Minnesota Gophers as an example. Jerry Kill changed the culture immediately, you could feel it. But the wins didn't come right away, going 3-9 in his first season. Some fans were already jumping off the bandwagon, but you could tell he was building his program the way it should be built. We are three seasons into Kill's career at Minnesota. His record is 17-21. If you just looked at his record, you'd call it a failure. But when you start to feel the pulse of the program, this is as exciting of a time as we've had in a long time. He's improved this team every year: from 3-9 (2-6) to 6-7 (2-6) to 8-5 (4-4).

Minnesota won't get close to 40 wins, but as long as they keep going on the upwards trajectory, I don't care. That's exactly how I feel about the Wyoming program. I care less about the total wins at the end of five years and more about the overall improvements you can feel taking shape in and around the program.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

What I want in 5 years:
Administration
1) More money through innovation, advertising, branding, and ditching the "poor me losing close is good enough" mentality. Essentially, a complete re-branding of WYO athletics.
2) A plan with action steps not "we will have to figure it out".
3) An AD and President that can sell their vision to legislatures. A vision with benchmarks and enthusiasm that gets people to follow. You can't be a good leader if nobody follows--that is where we are now.
4) Develop a SYSTEM that breeds success not just hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with each coaching hire.

Football
1) Signs of developing a system that cranks out good coaches.
2) Signs of recruiting pipelines opening up to get good linemen.
3) Player development is obvious as we will have multiple all conference players who were unknown out of high school.
4) We are not getting blown out of any game.
5) We continue to get players drafted in the NFL.
6) Year in and year out, we lead all conference players on the O and D line.
7) Offense can sustain drives and put up 28+ per game. Doesn't have to be high profile; just damn efficient.
8) Defense is aggressive, feared, and generally limits scoring to under 14.

Bball
1) Recruiting steps up. I like what Shy is doing and think we really just need better players. I wouldn't change much about the bball direction.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
The Virginian
Cowpoke

Just win baby.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
Hayduke
Cowpoke

The Virginian wrote:Just win baby.
I agree...just:

“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

A new athletic director, with a refreshing go-getter visionary attitude, and a clean sweep of that whole department.

But I want that in the next 1 year, not 5 years.

Then the winning will have a much better chance to happen in the next 5 years.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I'm not sure. I really feel like there are only three outcomes...

1.) Bohl is a college football legend and is exactly the person to take Wyoming to an entirely new level.
2.) Bohl is another Mike London type who flames out at the FBS level.
3.) Bohl era goes very similar to the Glenn era.

The key word here is "want"....well, considering Bohl is being hailed as the Wyoming savior, of course everyone wants greatness. By 2019, fans will want to see a team very similar to NDSU, but better. Will that happen? I don't know....college football is changing drastically with every passing year. I have a hard time knowing what the game will look like in 2015, let alone 2019.

Realistically, I expect the following...

2014: 3-5 wins
2015: 2-5 wins (mass exodus of graduating players)
2016: 5-7 wins
2017: 6-8 wins
2018: 6-8 wins
2019: 7-9 wins

All assuming the team is trending upwards after each season. Even the best teams struggle with losing players to graduation. But I think that's a realistic approach. Those expecting 13-0 and a Rose Bowl are always going to be disappointed.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I want Cowboy football to be built up the right way. So many times, new coaches come into town with big dreams and empty promises. It looks good the first year or two, but then you see the fatal flaws hidden beneath the surface.

All this talk of multiple conference championships is all fine and good, but if you have too much success too soon, you can be headed down a slippery slope real fast if you haven't laid the proper foundation.

If Bohl is given the time to lay the proper foundation, the wins will come.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

joshvanklomp wrote:I want Cowboy football to be built up the right way. So many times, new coaches come into town with big dreams and empty promises. It looks good the first year or two, but then you see the fatal flaws hidden beneath the surface.

All this talk of multiple conference championships is all fine and good, but if you have too much success too soon, you can be headed down a slippery slope real fast if you haven't laid the proper foundation.

We're willing to give him 3-4 years to get things going, as by then, we should be able to see which way the program is headed.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:I want Cowboy football to be built up the right way. So many times, new coaches come into town with big dreams and empty promises. It looks good the first year or two, but then you see the fatal flaws hidden beneath the surface.

All true....some eras start differently than others.

Look at Tim DeRuyter at Fresno. Takes the job with the Dogs, has freaking Derek Carr at his disposal. 10,000 passing yards and 100 TDs in two seasons later, he has two great seasons to show for it. But do we really know how good of a coach he is? You don't need to be a genius to succeed with Carr at QB. NOW is when we really get to see DeRuyter coach....

Bohl is the complete opposite....his stars all exited stage right the moment he got here. Goes to show that judgment should be different based on circumstance...I won't be ready to anoint Bohl a failure if 2014/2015 don't go well, just like I'm not going to anoint DeRuyter for being successful with the absurd talent on offense he had that he'll likely never replace.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

In 5 years I expect 5 conference championships, 2 Nat'l titles, and 2 Heisman winners and if I don't get that I will boycott the University for being incompetent because this should be easy as pie.

If Bohl fails to win the MWC in year 1, I say we get Pete Carroll to replace him.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
If Bohl fails to win the MWC in year 1, I say we get Pete Carroll to replace him.
No.

We resurrect Vince Lombardi from the great beyond.

You need to think big or go home! :lol:
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
Larawie
Ranch Hand

I'm sure it will take CB and his staff a couple of years to recruit the exact type of players they want and ones willin' to work within their system. Once in place, I foresee a solid program year in and year out-easily .500 and over. They will recruit WY and the Front Range heavily not only for the type of players they covet but also out of loyalty to the area (bringin' in the family, friends and fans). I would not be surprised if he looks for kids from NE, SD, ND, MN and WI, too, who are familiar with his success at NDSU. I don't see many, if any, JUCO kids unless there's a glarin' weakness at a particular position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

In this conference, there's no reason we can't be fighting BSU EVERY year for conference title. BSU has sustained. I want wyo to be the team each team talks about, "this is our year to beat those f-word"
W-Y, Until I Die!
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

Bowling every year, with possible exception of this year, and at least one conference championship.
52-56