Freshmen QB's

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Any inside info on how these guys are looking. Saw tweets from Fort but haven't heard anything about the guy from FL.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

I'm very curious about this too. Any inside info would be appreciated!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Freshman QB almost guarantees a bowl-less rebuilding year...but I do laugh at the latest developments. Everyone is Nick Smith this, Nick Smith that....much like when Pittser came in. Would be pretty funny if history repeats itself and Smith does nothing while Fort, a QB that's been characterized as terrible by some, beats them all out. Brett Smith situation take two.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I haven't been huge on Fort since he signed, but I think he certainly has potential. When I watched him play high school ball, he was very rough around the edges but had very good athletic ability, something that could certainly develop into starting QB material. Having said that, however, I think that he is a few years away from that point, so if he is our starter on opening day, then I will be a bit concerned...not because I think he sucks, just that I think he needs more time to develop.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

J-Rod wrote:Freshman QB almost guarantees a bowl-less rebuilding year...but I do laugh at the latest developments. Everyone is Nick Smith this, Nick Smith that....much like when Pittser came in. Would be pretty funny if history repeats itself and Smith does nothing while Fort, a QB that's been characterized as terrible by some, beats them all out. Brett Smith situation take two.
I haven't heard anything about Smith lately.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:I haven't been huge on Fort since he signed, but I think he certainly has potential. When I watched him play high school ball, he was very rough around the edges but had very good athletic ability, something that could certainly develop into starting QB material. Having said that, however, I think that he is a few years away from that point, so if he is our starter on opening day, then I will be a bit concerned...not because I think he sucks, just that I think he needs more time to develop.
How many years did Fort play the QB position in high school? I'm thinking I heard only one or two. Maybe that's why several posters on this message board have projected him to red-shirt this season, but if he is ahead of the others this fall then he may not red-shirt.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:Freshman QB almost guarantees a bowl-less rebuilding year...but I do laugh at the latest developments. Everyone is Nick Smith this, Nick Smith that....much like when Pittser came in. Would be pretty funny if history repeats itself and Smith does nothing while Fort, a QB that's been characterized as terrible by some, beats them all out. Brett Smith situation take two.
I agree with you...but am also going to point out the past two "true" freshman QB's at Wyoming led the team to bowl games. ACS and Brett Smith.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:I haven't been huge on Fort since he signed, but I think he certainly has potential. When I watched him play high school ball, he was very rough around the edges but had very good athletic ability, something that could certainly develop into starting QB material. Having said that, however, I think that he is a few years away from that point, so if he is our starter on opening day, then I will be a bit concerned...not because I think he sucks, just that I think he needs more time to develop.
How many years did Fort play the QB position in high school? I'm thinking I heard only one or two. Maybe that's why several posters on this message board have projected him to red-shirt this season, but if he is ahead of the others this fall then he may not red-shirt.
I know he played at least 2 years at QB, not sure how many, if any, before his junior year.
jcueva6
Buckaroo

from what i heard all the freshman qbs and even coffman are at summer workouts, but none of them get any reps with the trainers. only the 4 from spring camp. the trainers only supervise while 7on7's and 1on1's are ran. trainer depth charts have 1. Colby 2.Young 3.Thornton 4.Stratton while Fort and Smith take mental reps. Coffman is here and there not sure if hes on campus yet. but again this is only trainer supervised workouts they do not teach or coach only instruct what drills and activities are being ran that day.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

why wouldn't the other guys be throwing.........seems odd
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

jcueva6 wrote:from what i heard all the freshman qbs and even coffman are at summer workouts, but none of them get any reps with the trainers. only the 4 from spring camp. the trainers only supervise while 7on7's and 1on1's are ran. trainer depth charts have 1. Colby 2.Young 3.Thornton 4.Stratton while Fort and Smith take mental reps. Coffman is here and there not sure if hes on campus yet. but again this is only trainer supervised workouts they do not teach or coach only instruct what drills and activities are being ran that day.
You are running very fast and loose with the term "trainer". I'm assuming you mean the strength and conditioning staff?
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Wonder why Stratton and Thornton dropped down in the charts?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

mwc fan wrote:Wonder why Stratton and Thornton dropped down in the charts?
Because they aren't good.
Any depth DC recruited for QB transferred to somewhere else.
He could recruit depth at QB when he was at a BCS school because there is no shame in being the #2 guy at Mizzou and your team was ranked in the Top 25 all season. But he could get the same quality starter to come to Wyoming but he couldn't get the same quality backups because why in the hell would a kid that good be a backup QB at Wyoming? So as a result he had QBs like Stratton and Thorton and Kirkgaard. While they may be great kids, great teammates, great students, great people all the way around, they are not D1 level QBs. Now, with a new coach, new system, there is more talent coming in; starter quality. Give these young guys some reps (Young, Smith, and Fort) and they will rise in the depth charts.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
jcueva6
Buckaroo

BJC wrote:why wouldn't the other guys be throwing.........seems odd
because none were here during spring. none of them know the routes or terminology the coaches want and use, the "strength and conditioning" coaches supervise not teach. so they're poop out of luck when it comes to 7on7 or one on ones basically. they lift and condition. just reps are givin by the players, to those who were there for spring. they get first dips. maybe one or two get past to the newbies.
Last edited by jcueva6 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcueva6
Buckaroo

WestWYOPoke wrote:
jcueva6 wrote:from what i heard all the freshman qbs and even coffman are at summer workouts, but none of them get any reps with the trainers. only the 4 from spring camp. the trainers only supervise while 7on7's and 1on1's are ran. trainer depth charts have 1. Colby 2.Young 3.Thornton 4.Stratton while Fort and Smith take mental reps. Coffman is here and there not sure if hes on campus yet. but again this is only trainer supervised workouts they do not teach or coach only instruct what drills and activities are being ran that day.
You are running very fast and loose with the term "trainer". I'm assuming you mean the strength and conditioning staff?
sometimes those "trainers" become coaches. but mostly yes strength amd conditioning staff.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Can we just all agree to try a little harder on grammar/punctuation? Throw a period or a comma in somewhere to help with the context. I am having a HELL of time following some of these posts. Giant, long### run-on sentences.

:popcorn:
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

djm19 wrote:Can we just all agree to try a little harder on grammar/punctuation? Throw a period or a comma in somewhere to help with the context. I am having a HELL of time following some of these posts. Giant, long### run-on sentences.

:popcorn:
thEqUIckbrOwnfOxjUmpEdOvErthElAzydOg
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

ireadya