Jordan Johnson, Montana ready for Wyoming

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/mo ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImageImageImage
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

I know this has been batted around repeatedly on this board, but I am very nervous about the Montana game. They will have a ton of fans down here and are quite good. This said, most of my apprehension is that I have no clue what Wyoming will look like this year and whether the hopes for the D-line are well founded. If we can't get pressure - considering our secondary (at least as I knew it), we could be in a world of hurt.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote:I know this has been batted around repeatedly on this board, but I am very nervous about the Montana game. They will have a ton of fans down here and are quite good. This said, most of my apprehension is that I have no clue what Wyoming will look like this year and whether the hopes for the D-line are well founded. If we can't get pressure - considering our secondary (at least as I knew it), we could be in a world of hurt.
I think our D-Line will absolutely destroy them.

If you look at what our D-Line did in the first 4 games or so last year, then randomly throughout the season, they played really well for short periods. That was with poop defensive coaching and much less strength on the line.

Now, fast forward to now, they are all stronger, better coached, and won't burn out after just a few games.

I do agree that it is an unknown, I am just going off of the new coaching and weight room stuff.

I don't know about our O-Line though.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

The dynamic in the stands for this game will be different for sure. This is no Weber State or No. Colorado. Montana will bring a lot of fans, and if things are close in the late 3rd quarter...there will be tension.

I'm eager to see how Bohl plays FCS schools. CDC was notorious for playing Weber State, Southern Utah, etc. closely almost the entire game. Rarely did he just blast an FCS program like Wyoming should. Hell, he even lost to one of them. Will Bohl go out there and continue that trend, or lay waste to UM?

I'm torn. Part of me thinks with Kirkegaard starting, any opponent has a chance to beat Wyoming. The other thinks Wyoming will give it to May/Wick all day and win something like 48-10.

But we'll most likely see Wyoming win by 9 points and thus...we'll have a 6+ page thread on this board between the "a win is a win" crowd and the "WE SHOULD DESTROY THESE SCHOOLS" crowd. :lol:
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Montana graduated most of their offensive line and defense.. really hard to tell what's going to happen.. the OL never really misses a beat no matter who graduates. Montana was picked 2nd in the Big Sky Conference today, behind Eastern Washington.
ImageImageImageImage
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

Titleist - you are a realist and know a lot about both teams. What say you in terms of how the game will go? I know you feel it is hard to tell what will actually transpire...but am curious about your thoughts particularly with regard to the defense. Your note about the OL tells me that you think their O will be ok. What losses did they have in their D? Do they return some studs? How is their D line?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

LawPoke wrote:Titleist - you are a realist and know a lot about both teams. What say you in terms of how the game will go? I know you feel it is hard to tell what will actually transpire...but am curious about your thoughts particularly with regard to the defense. Your note about the OL tells me that you think their O will be ok. What losses did they have in their D? Do they return some studs? How is their D line?
I really don't know how this game is going to go. Montana typically plays FBS teams pretty tough, though they only play FBS teams every 3-4 years. Montana is such an established program they don't need play-up games to fund the athletic dept, rather they play them to give the kids a chance to play on the big stage at least once during their career. The only FBS game that really got out of hand was @ Oregon a few years ago.. before the ducks were really good. They played Iowa very close for 3 quarters then got blown out in the 4th. Played well at Tennessee. This might be the first time Montana has played a "Other 5" team since they played Idaho in 2003.

Montana's defense lost of lot of starters, including all three starting linebackers. Two of those LBs are in NFL camps, one of them will for sure be on the roster for the Dolphins. Their secondary was a dumpster fire at times last year (sound familiar?). The defensive line should be good this year, local Missoula kid Zach Wagenmann at DE is going to be pretty difficult to deal with for our OTs. He's on the Buck Buchanan list this year. Matt Hermanson in the secondary is going to be a good player this year as well.

Montana's offense might be pretty explosive.. a lot of weapons with FBS talent. Jordan Johnson at QB is a lot like Brett Smith.. good at improvising but the switch to the pro-style offense kind of neutered his ability to make plays on the fly. Jordan Canada and Trayvon Van (a transfer last year from Marshall) are two really good RBs.. both are weapons out of the backfield as well. Canada will be one of the top rushers in FCS this year. At WR Ellis Henderson and Jamaal Jones are going to be a handful and both are capable of stretching defense really uncomfortably.. both are homerun threats. Hendo is also a pretty good kick returner. The offensive line will have three new starters this year, that could be a problem for Montana in the first game, especially considering Wyoming's defensive front seven.. they're going to have their hands full, I think.

I think you guys are going to be surprised about the talent on Montana's football team, especially considering they have 20 less scholarships, and UM is on probation right now from some things a couple years ago.. so they're actually at 59 scholarships right now.. lots of guys are splitting scholarships or don't have one. Montana fans have been waiting for a game like this for a long time to see how they stack up with a team closer to their talent level (not a Big 10, SEC, or Pac12 teams). Montana regularly sends players to the NFL that have meaningful careers, most of the roster is from Montana or Washington.

How do I think this game's going to go? Beats the hell out of me. Wyoming doesn't have a QB, questionable offensive line.. and a new coach. Anything could happen. I expect it to be close, Wyoming won't win in a blowout.. plus Montana coaches have been watching film on this game for quite a while (talked to UMs OL coach a few weeks ago at the gym, CB coach a few weeks ago at a party) since Montana has NDSU on the schedule this year as well.. they're getting a two for one deal on game tape for this one. I'll be there in brown and gold.. surrounded by lots of people wearing maroon and silver. We'll be out Friday night around the bars, Saturday at the tailgates. Say Hi if you see us.
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

That's about as good a UM report as we'll get. Thanks Titleist.

Always hard to project the first game of a new coaching regime. The excitement of something new tends to bread optimism, but we really don't know. I bet Colorado fans had no idea Dan Hawkins would lose his opener to Montana St. in 2006. They thought he was a savior.

I can envision a lot of different results. Maybe Wyoming's QB issues are a bigger deal than expected, accompany that with the O-Line taking time to gel, and I could see Wyoming losing to Montana. Or maybe Bohl is everything the NDSU fans say he is and May/Wick run all over UM to a statement win. I'm anxious to see the line for this game when it comes out.
09Griz
Buckaroo

Montana is going to ROCK the Cowboys :cool: ...
J/K
I'm hoping we at least make it a game. I have a good feeling the Griz that dominated the FCS for decades are starting to get their feet back under them after a devastating feminazi attack... We are a lower division and you should win but you guys didn't pick the best possible time to play us.

2010 or 2012 would have been the "best time".

1993-2009
-record breaking 17 consecutive playoff runs with multiple national championships and appearances (7)
-sported the most wins in the FCS in the 90's and the most wins in all of college football in the 00's.

-horrible season....7-4 record....new coach with entirely new system

-new system successfully in place
-11-3 record...semi final appearance and 2 points away from another National Title appearance

-coach fired.........new coach...new system
-Best QB in 18 years, Jordan Johnson banned from team
-5-6 record
-first losing season in 3 decades

-new coaches system in place
-Jordan Johnson found not guilty and back on team
-10-3 record and looking tougher

2014 prediction...
-we're about back...I hope
Wins Since 2000 (All of College Football)
1st place: Montana: 152 - 2nd place: Boise State: 143........Texas: 139.....App State: 131...
North Dakota State: 120
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

Gents - much obliged for taking the time to respond with such detail. I really appreciate it. And I do look forward to the game - I think it will be fun. However, I will reiterate my unease leading up to the game...again less based on what we know about Montana and more based on what we don't know about the Pokes.

I, for one, am happy that MT will be bringing some fans. I put attendance at around 23-24,000 because of it.
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote:That's about as good a UM report as we'll get. Thanks Titleist.

Always hard to project the first game of a new coaching regime. The excitement of something new tends to bread optimism, but we really don't know. I bet Colorado fans had no idea Dan Hawkins would lose his opener to Montana St. in 2006. They thought he was a savior.

I can envision a lot of different results. Maybe Wyoming's QB issues are a bigger deal than expected, accompany that with the O-Line taking time to gel, and I could see Wyoming losing to Montana. Or maybe Bohl is everything the NDSU fans say he is and May/Wick run all over UM to a statement win. I'm anxious to see the line for this game when it comes out.
You almost never see lines for FCS at FBS games. I don't recall seeing one in years, if ever.
Last edited by Brew_Poke on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times

09Griz wrote:Montana is going to ROCK the Cowboys :cool: ...
J/K
I'm hoping we at least make it a game. I have a good feeling the Griz that dominated the FCS for decades are starting to get their feet back under them after a devastating feminazi attack... We are a lower division and you should win but you guys didn't pick the best possible time to play us.

1993-2009
-record breaking 17 consecutive playoff runs with multiple national championships and appearances (7)
-sported the most wins in the FCS in the 90's and the most wins in all of college football in the 00's.

-11-3 record...semi final appearance and 2 points away from another National Title appearance

-5-6 record

2014 prediction...
Dude, a series of rapes not getting prosecuted and having the Feds have to step in is a 'feminazi' attack? Da f-word? I mean, it's not Penn State level, but it's in the same ball park. C'mon.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

Brew_Poke wrote:
J/K

1993-2009

-5-6 record

2014 prediction...
Dude, a series of rapes not getting prosecuted and having the Feds have to step in is a 'feminazi' attack? Da f-word? I mean, it's not Penn State level, but it's in the same ball park. C'mon.
Yeah. Rape is no laughing matter. And attributing it to "feminazi attacks" when the feds have to get involved is not right.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Didn't the federal investigation lead to another former Montana player pleading guilty to rape and consequently spending time in prison for it?

Edit: or was that at a different school?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

09Griz, I do not know anything about the Montana QB Jordan Johnson and the "feminazi" thing.

So he was found not guilty, so you are attributing it to the feminazi thing, I assume because you are a fan. But what kind of person is he? Would you want him to date your daughter even though he was found not guilty?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
09Griz
Buckaroo

BeaverPoke wrote:09Griz, I do not know anything about the Montana QB Jordan Johnson and the "feminazi" thing.
I can tell
And you guys are right, rape is absolutely no laughing matter.
Neither is perjury and it became very apparent as the trial progressed.
Wins Since 2000 (All of College Football)
1st place: Montana: 152 - 2nd place: Boise State: 143........Texas: 139.....App State: 131...
North Dakota State: 120
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Brew_Poke wrote:
J/K

1993-2009

-5-6 record

2014 prediction...
Dude, you have no idea. A local news reporter drug Johnson through Hell, got herself all sorts of national notoriety.. only to have her news story, and the victim's case fully pulled apart in federal court. It was ugly here. One player went to prison.. separate case, he pled guilty to rape. Another rape case was brought forward and quickly dismissed as video evidence quickly made the victim's claim false. The feds came into Missoula and hammered on the DA and the university because it was a university and city problem that they don't investigate any the deed assault worth a damn.. yet, the district attorney kept his job despite being incompetent at his job, as told by the feds. It's not even close to the same ball park as Penn State.. and not even in the same planet.
ImageImageImageImage
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

We have some hidden talent on this team that will show up, and we have quite a bit of experience coming back on both sides. The offense is learning a new system - which is a huge deal - but I can only speculate how this transition is going.

This is a good game and one that should be played every few years. Wyoming and Montana have a hell of alot in common with each other. We are good neighbors. Fan's on both sides travel.

Montana will remember what is like to climb the side of the mountains in Missoula with a 4011 ft elevation increase in Laramie.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

WyoBrandX wrote:We have some hidden talent on this team that will show up, and we have quite a bit of experience coming back on both sides. The offense is learning a new system - which is a huge deal - but I can only speculate how this transition is going.

This is a good game and one that should be played every few years. Wyoming and Montana have a hell of alot in common with each other. We are good neighbors. Fan's on both sides travel.

Montana will remember what is like to climb the side of the mountains in Missoula with a 4011 ft elevation increase in Laramie.
Honestly, the only postions on offense I'm not worried about are RB and WR. FB has a couple of guys that moved over from the LB position. O-line, well, that's been an issue for years. QB, yeah, we all know the questions there.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

fromolwyoming wrote:
WyoBrandX wrote:We have some hidden talent on this team that will show up, and we have quite a bit of experience coming back on both sides. The offense is learning a new system - which is a huge deal - but I can only speculate how this transition is going.

Honestly, the only postions on offense I'm not worried about are RB and WR. FB has a couple of guys that moved over from the LB position. O-line, well, that's been an issue for years. QB, yeah, we all know the questions there.
I don't have question @ LB, RB or WR I think we have solid players in all of those spots. Sure we don't have a Herron those are big shoes to fill but I think we will be fine at that position. What i'm very worried about is QB like all us of and the DL.

I feel like we lost most of our games last year because by the 3rd Q our DL was so worn out from being on the field and their conditioning was weak so the second half they just had no fuel left in the tank.