What I hope for this year

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

45 Days to kick off and I started thinking about the one thing I would really like to see this season.

I know I know, We all want a MWC Title and we all want to win games and to get back to postseason play those are all expectations we have. Realistically what do you hope to see this year that you didn't see very often last year?

I hope we have competitive enough games that re-watching the game during the week is worth it.
( This is big for me, I love re-watching games but from last year Nebraska, Air Force and first half of the San Jose game were honestly the only games worth re-watching. )

What is the one thing you really would like to see this year that you didn't see much of last year?
hithere
Ranch Hand

Playing every minute of each half. No more quitting when there's time still left on the clock
Rivalry trophies; a boot, a .50 Cal and whatever the Hawaii one is
Winning the opener by double digits
A competitive game against Boise State
Brown helmets
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

hithere wrote:Playing every minute of each half. No more quitting when there's time still left on the clock
Rivalry trophies; a boot, a .50 Cal and whatever the Hawaii one is
Winning the opener by double digits
A competitive game against Boise State
Brown helmets
It's called the Paniolo Trophy.

What I would like to see is throwback unis to our short-lived glory years of 1987-96. 1988 feels like ten lifetimes ago.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

hithere wrote:Playing every minute of each half. No more quitting when there's time still left on the clock
100% Agree! It was evident that the team didn't believe in Christensen and just went through the motions after getting down. Even Brett Smith looked disinterested in some late season games. We may lose, but there should be no quit in Wyoming!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Good thread Wyo2Dal. Easy answer: Improvement on the O-Line and D-Line. A presence in the trenches.

EVERY freaking off-season we listen to optimistic fans claim this is the year Wyoming finally pushes the pile, but come late September we're back to bashing coordinators as both lines get pushed around. This is the year the defense comes together, but of course they finish ranked in the 100s again.

Bohl deserves time. Unlike some fans, I'm not convinced he has the talent he wants right now. I'm not expecting great improvement, but I want to see something. I'm not saying hold Oregon to under 30 points or anything ridiculous like that...but just something. Something fans can look at and say, "okay, maybe we're not there yet....but there are signs that we will eventually get there".

No more running in place like this program was doing with DC. Everything Bohl wants to accomplish in Laramie rests solely on this programs ability to control the line of scrimmage. Whether it be the O-Line, D-Line, CBs...it all comes to being nasty at the LOS. Imposing their will on the opponent, not vice-versa. Can they do that? That is the $1,000,000 question.

We love QBs, talk about RBs, gush over WRs....but at the end of the day, the success or failure of the Bohl era will come down to the big uglies.

But if you're looking for something more measurable...how about not losing to anyone by 40+ points this season?
Last edited by J-Rod on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Steady improvement over the course of the season so that there is no question that the POKES in December would steam roll the POKES from September...if that makes sense.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

I thought of another one SECOND-HALF ADJUSTMENTS, holy poop CDC gave up so many games by not adjusting.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wyo2dal wrote:I thought of another one SECOND-HALF ADJUSTMENTS, holy poop CDC gave up so many games by not adjusting.
SO many painful 3rd quarters. :x The Nebraska game comes to mind.

Defensive pressure by the d-line. All too often the last 5 years, our d-line would get to the o-line, and that would be about it. On rare occassion someone might get through, but for the most part, it was like "Do we even have a d-line?" with how ineffective they were most of the time.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:I thought of another one SECOND-HALF ADJUSTMENTS, holy poop CDC gave up so many games by not adjusting.
SO many painful 3rd quarters. :x The Nebraska game comes to mind.

Defensive pressure by the d-line. All too often the last 5 years, our d-line would get to the o-line, and that would be about it. On rare occasion someone might get through, but for the most part, it was like "Do we even have a d-line?" with how ineffective they were most of the time.
TBH I'm still shocked watching the fire of the Nebraska game and the lack of fire nearly the entire rest of the year. I'm not sure if the team just didn't care or they just simply didn't the coach. It had to be something it's like night and day watching the 1st game vs every other game.

Hell we gave up nearly as many yards on the ground to Air Force(346) as Nebraska(375) and I'm not willing to buy that it was just injury based is what was wrong with the defense I have to assume it was something completely different.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I'm hoping we don't take a knee anymore with 1:30 on the clock at midfield before the half.
dakid3kc
Buckaroo

I am not a Wyoming fan. I will follow them this year however. I believe Coach Bohl will do well there. I want to see 5 wins at least and a victory over CSU!

Here are a few things that I know about your new coach. Craig Bohl won't let players quit during a game. If a player quits during a game, then that player will not be playing. Bohl is a no nonsense coach that will not tolerate it.

He is a GREAT halftime adjustment coach. He will find ways to adjust to what teams are doing. Also make sure that the team will not be "flat" or over run in 3rd quarters.

To please the few of you that want improvement on Oline and Dline, he is good at that too. He loves dominating both sides of the LOS, and in doing so, wear out teams and just try to punish them. Time of possession is a key stat for him.

One other thing that I feel he will correct are mental errors. Look for the false starts, shift penalties and just mental errors in general to come way down, which will in turn keep you ahead of the chains and have better chances of keeping offense on the field.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

dakid3kc wrote:I am not a Wyoming fan. I will follow them this year however. I believe Coach Bohl will do well there. I want to see 5 wins at least and a victory over CSU!

Here are a few things that I know about your new coach. Craig Bohl won't let players quit during a game. If a player quits during a game, then that player will not be playing. Bohl is a no nonsense coach that will not tolerate it.

He is a GREAT halftime adjustment coach. He will find ways to adjust to what teams are doing. Also make sure that the team will not be "flat" or over run in 3rd quarters.

To please the few of you that want improvement on Oline and Dline, he is good at that too. He loves dominating both sides of the LOS, and in doing so, wear out teams and just try to punish them. Time of possession is a key stat for him.

One other thing that I feel he will correct are mental errors. Look for the false starts, shift penalties and just mental errors in general to come way down, which will in turn keep you ahead of the chains and have better chances of keeping offense on the field.

That's fan enough for me!

With all that we've heard about what Duval is doing in terms of conditioning the players, I really want to see a big improvement on the lines. What good is it if you're 20% stronger, but you still can't get to the quarterback?
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote: What I would like to see is throwback unis to our short-lived glory years of 1987-96. 1988 feels like ten lifetimes ago.

:puke:
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

It's like you're my brother Aaron
W-Y, Until I Die!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I'm still waiting for that badass brown helmet with the large steamboat to be used.

http://www.cattelandesign.com/uploads/4 ... lpaper.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:I'm still waiting for that badass brown helmet with the large steamboat to be used.

http://www.cattelandesign.com/uploads/4 ... lpaper.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is my favorite Helmet design, I wish they would make that a new permanent Helmet. For a white first they could do the same the large steamboat in brown. I get that people want simplified but I think the steamboat is begging for a facelift without being redesigned.

The Bohl era would be the time for that Helmet to change the face of Wyoming Football.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Wyo2dal wrote:
J-Rod wrote:I'm still waiting for that badass brown helmet with the large steamboat to be used.

That is my favorite Helmet design, I wish they would make that a new permanent Helmet. For a white first they could do the same the large steamboat in brown. I get that people want simplified but I think the steamboat is begging for a facelift without being redesigned.

The Bohl era would be the time for that Helmet to change the face of Wyoming Football.
Count me as another that thinks that helmet would be AWESOME on the field!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I like it too, it leaves Steamboat on the helmet, but changes it at the same time...plus I like the brown in the background, really makes the gold pop.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Wyo2dal wrote:

I agree. But instead he is taking us back to the poop look.
Bohl was here in Wheatland last week but there was no advertisement or announcement of anything. From the pictures I saw it was just all the rich good ol boys who want to live in the past who got to go.
I am genuinely pissed and I have to believe some kids who would like to play for Wyoming are too. As far as I am concerned this is strike one for Bohl. This isn't his days in Nebraska as he is so quick to bring up in every single interview he has done since getting the job...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Aaron wrote:Bohl was here in Wheatland last week but there was no advertisement or announcement of anything. From the pictures I saw it was just all the rich good ol boys who want to live in the past who got to go.
I am genuinely pissed and I have to believe some kids who would like to play for Wyoming are too. As far as I am concerned this is strike one for Bohl. This isn't his days in Nebraska as he is so quick to bring up in every single interview he has done since getting the job...
As far as touring him around the state of Wyoming - CJC, Burman, & Staff put those events together, not Bohl. And the people that were "invited" to attend were done so by CJC, Burman, & Staff, not Bohl. Now you know why the folks that attended did so.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...