Wyokie! Get ready to leap for joy! (Helmet thread)

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

Wyo2dal wrote:
jessejames02 wrote:30 here. Return to old style is great.

On the Bohl vs. DC style of uniforms, I don't think Bohl is going after the kind of kids that would pick a program based on a Nike contract, varied unis and a special camo day unit. That's a flash, extras and essentially distractions. Focus on the field, conditioning, establishing consistency and changing the culture. We might think it doesn't matter, let the kids have 20 combos, sell more jerseys, but it does. The culture needs to be consistent top to bottom to be effective and if that means tossing out the fluff (and an extra uni is absolutely fluff) then so be it.
That is just your opinion and I certainly don't agree with it. Focus on the field & conditioning has nothing to do with uniforms. Calling a uniform a problem because a coach can't seem to coach properly is just making excuses.

If you honestly think this team this year or the team last year would have been more likely to win more games wearing old 80's uniforms instead of wearing a different uniform each week that is completely mind boggling. Bringing back old uniforms isn't going to make the team win and uniform combinations do not keep coaches from coaching or players from playing.

:| No. Nobody thinks wearing 80's uniforms will make them win. That's the point of what I'm trying to say. 80's uni, 20 uni combo's, it doesn't matter. It's a fun extra that has no impact on the field. Oregon doesn't win because of the uniforms just like Maryland doesn't. Bama, Penn State, Ohio State, etc. don't win or lose because of the uniforms. Sorry our guys don't get to wear your favorite costume to the party. Bohl has a lot to do to win, he decided the uni's are a distraction and if they distract him from doing what he was hired to do, then he's right.

I personally loved all the combos the last few years, I also like the old school look, but as long as there's brown and gold I don't really give a damn. It's football not figure skating.
52-56
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

jessejames02 wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
jessejames02 wrote:30 here. Return to old style is great.

On the Bohl vs. DC style of uniforms, I don't think Bohl is going after the kind of kids that would pick a program based on a Nike contract, varied unis and a special camo day unit. That's a flash, extras and essentially distractions. Focus on the field, conditioning, establishing consistency and changing the culture. We might think it doesn't matter, let the kids have 20 combos, sell more jerseys, but it does. The culture needs to be consistent top to bottom to be effective and if that means tossing out the fluff (and an extra uni is absolutely fluff) then so be it.
That is just your opinion and I certainly don't agree with it. Focus on the field & conditioning has nothing to do with uniforms. Calling a uniform a problem because a coach can't seem to coach properly is just making excuses.

If you honestly think this team this year or the team last year would have been more likely to win more games wearing old 80's uniforms instead of wearing a different uniform each week that is completely mind boggling. Bringing back old uniforms isn't going to make the team win and uniform combinations do not keep coaches from coaching or players from playing.

:| No. Nobody thinks wearing 80's uniforms will make them win. That's the point of what I'm trying to say. 80's uni, 20 uni combo's, it doesn't matter. It's a fun extra that has no impact on the field. Oregon doesn't win because of the uniforms just like Maryland doesn't. Bama, Penn State, Ohio State, etc. don't win or lose because of the uniforms. Sorry our guys don't get to wear your favorite costume to the party. Bohl has a lot to do to win, he decided the uni's are a distraction and if they distract him from doing what he was hired to do, then he's right.

I personally loved all the combos the last few years, I also like the old school look, but as long as there's brown and gold I don't really give a damn. It's football not figure skating.
You're missing the point.. The uniforms were a large factor in bringing in the kids that are helping win the games. Guarantee a large % didn't commit to UO bc Chip/Mark sat in their living room. The array of unis and facilities brought on by the uni's maker swayed them.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

I guarantee the turf design is helping land recruits!

...but maybe we should abandon the turf and go back to the brown grass that we played on in the 80s.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:I guarantee the turf design is helping land recruits!

...but maybe we should abandon the turf and go back to the brown grass that we played on in the 80s.
LOL! And adopt the Deti philosophy of playing only night games, in long dead grass, with football colored jerseys, in piss poor lighting.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
BJC
A Real Cowboy

remove dem' lights.....every game at noon! mesh half jerseys! :rofl:

I'm sure dog has some sweet gear packed away.....seriously need to get the season started as we are running out of topics!
Last edited by BJC on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

BJC wrote:remove dem' lights.....every game at noon! mesh half jerseys! :rofl:
oh my god yes! if were going to embrace our past, lets do it right!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
BJC wrote:remove dem' lights.....every game at noon! mesh half jerseys! :rofl:
oh my god yes! if were going to embrace our past, lets do it right!
I like the coconut helmet style. I still have headaches though...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Ballin' Image

needs to take the tape of his wrist....distracting!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

If that's the wrist band the players wanted to wear against BYU, then that would be the distraction that plummeted our program from national promenence...

I know that's not this pic, but it's the point I'm making. Our tons of unis a distraction? Yes, and no. If a player comes here based on what kind of "swag" he'll have, then he's full of himself and that leads to the type of players like our RB who was so full of himself a couple of years ago and decided to take his limited talents to SE Louisiana, where he's still only interested in Swag and not his production on the field.

You make the uniform look good based on how you play in it. Ryan Yarbrough, Marcus Harris, Steve Scrifes, Mitch Donahue and Ryan Christopherson made those old unis look good. Our guys look like pansies now comparably. Because it wasn't about the uni back then. It was about being the best you could be on the field.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Hey, that particular RB you're talking about gives back, like Robbin.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

kdwrightuwyo wrote:Hey, that particular RB you're talking about gives back, like Robbin.
Doesn't make him a good football player. If he'd focus on his abilities on the field and not on his looks, he'd probably be a good player.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Im 99% sure the gives back was sarcasm. And nobody is saying a players focus is on unis. They could wear pink unis and still be tough as nails. :deadhorse1:

Camp needs to start...yesterday.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Since this theme of uniforms and Swag are so important here to so many, maybe Visorhair and Beaverface could run a poll with the players to determine the correlation of Uniform selection (coolness) and School selection; based on the current players in the program. Then at the end of the year, assess the strength of the program in terms of competitiveness and attitude. I would venture a guess that this team is moving at a strong pace away from photo shoots on Maxim and Glamour, and into the ranks of quality wins and toughness. May not make the twitter posters and facebook followers happy, but sure makes sense to Bohl and co. If I never see the lemon bar uniforms or camo poop again, suffice it to say I could give a rats a##. Old school is fine, just win baby.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

johnywyo wrote:Since this theme of uniforms and Swag are so important here to so many, maybe Visorhair and Beaverface could run a poll with the players to determine the correlation of Uniform selection (coolness) and School selection; based on the current players in the program. Then at the end of the year, assess the strength of the program in terms of competitiveness and attitude.
A few things here:

1. Beaverface?

2. Run a poll with the players? I know like 3 of them.

3. I bet most of the kids that came to UW came because Wyo was their only FBS offer.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

@kdwright5407: @OliveUso did uniform contract/combos/colors/etc impact your recruitment to UW? If so, how?

@OliveUso: @kdwright5407 not at all. Just wanted to get my degree & play cowboy football.

And he was one of the guys that were very excited about the camo unis when they were unveiled.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Still, I liked the brown helmet, gold jersey, brown pants combo. Maybe we could do that for the Border War since the sheep dress up like pumpkins?
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

@kdwright5407: @mikevorel how about a story on going back to old school unis and if different combos/contract/etc influenced recruitment if players?

@mikevorel: @kdwright5407 Looks like the physical uniforms aren't changing, though there will be less combos. Only the helmets.

@mikevorel: @kdwright5407 But with that said, I'm planning on doing something to address that in fall camp. Thanks for the input, as always.

@mikevorel: @kdwright5407 It's an old school/new school debate. Might sound silly, but the majority of players care about uniforms. It's a factor.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

BeaverPoke wrote:
johnywyo wrote:Since this theme of uniforms and Swag are so important here to so many, maybe Visorhair and Beaverface could run a poll with the players to determine the correlation of Uniform selection (coolness) and School selection; based on the current players in the program. Then at the end of the year, assess the strength of the program in terms of competitiveness and attitude.
A few things here:

1. Beaverface?

2. Run a poll with the players? I know like 3 of them.

3. I bet most of the kids that came to UW came because Wyo was their only FBS offer.

Good points Beav, sorry no disrespect intended. Your Avi (if that's what it's called) the beaver w/ the Cowboy hat is all face...so my bad. I think you'd be surprised as to the number of players with a number of offers. Although, that said, very few D-1 top 5 contenders as recruits being sought after. I'm not immune to the thought of minor tweaks to the uniform situation. I like the matte brown helmets and big Steamboat logo. But when you make more chatter about the uniform situation, and go out and get slapped around and beat by 30+ at home these kids can't wait to get out of that gear and dream about better circumstances with decent competition. We are unique by design, all I want is tough kids, playing their hearts out for a coaching staff and fans that are proud to be a part of a quality product. Thanks for your comments, lets hope for better fall days in Laramie.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

The helmet combinations were awesome the past five years. I went to school when we were both Reebok and then New Balance. The New Balance uniforms were a travesty.

I hope we still wear the gold jerseys from time to time. I also like the gold steamboat decal, hope we still see that!
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

My view?

Love the helmet.

If Coach Bohl wants to limit our on field wardrobe and create a more singular identity then I'm all for it.

Until proven otherwise I'll say that whatever Coach Bohl wants to do I'm all for.

At this juncture it's in Craig Bohl we should all trust.

Go Pokes!