Wyokie! Get ready to leap for joy! (Helmet thread)

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I liked most of the new helmets, but this one that reps 87-96 was always my favorite. (By the way I'm 30, not in the over 60 category). I'm one who has always believed in tradition. And you do realize once we started making massive changes to our unis, we have mainly sucked. I think there are teams out there that have TERRIBLE looking unis, but still maintain respect for keeping THEIR look. LSU, PSU, Iowa, Mich, Ohio St,FSU, UCLA, USC, Colo, ND, BYU, Ohio, OU, Tex, KSU, ISU, LTU. That's just a handful. Some of them have the ugliest unis imaginable ( LSU, Mich, FSU, USC, ISU) but whe you see their uni, you know who they are.
Wyoming doesn't need a new look. It needs ITS look, ugly to most or not. The constant makeover system is for the birds! Find your look and stay with it. That's what I hope WYO does. Shoot! Even BYU left their "new style" in 03 and went back to its traditional look. And when you see BYU on tv, you know it's BYU.
If people want to use the "hard for recruiting" bit, then why is it even teams like Iowa St, USC, Louis. Tech, Neb, Tenn, Ohio and Colorado still get good recruiting? Could it be because they have continued to maintain their image?
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

kansasCowboy wrote:I liked most of the new helmets, but this one that reps 87-96 was always my favorite. (By the way I'm 30, not in the over 60 category). I'm one who has always believed in tradition. And you do realize once we started making massive changes to our unis, we have mainly sucked. I think there are teams out there that have TERRIBLE looking unis, but still maintain respect for keeping THEIR look. LSU, PSU, Iowa, Mich, Ohio St,FSU, UCLA, USC, Colo, ND, BYU, Ohio, OU, Tex, KSU, ISU, LTU. That's just a handful. Some of them have the ugliest unis imaginable ( LSU, Mich, FSU, USC, ISU) but whe you see their uni, you know who they are.
Wyoming doesn't need a new look. It needs ITS look, ugly to most or not. The constant makeover system is for the birds! Find your look and stay with it. That's what I hope WYO does. Shoot! Even BYU left their "new style" in 03 and went back to its traditional look. And when you see BYU on tv, you know it's BYU.
If people want to use the "hard for recruiting" bit, then why is it even teams like Iowa St, USC, Louis. Tech, Neb, Tenn, Ohio and Colorado still get good recruiting? Could it be because they have continued to maintain their image?
I get what you are saying and I would argue that some of the teams you mentioned have "ugly" units. Did you see ND's helmets last year? Anyway my point is that too many people on this board thing that by simply changing back to the "Way it was" we are going to once again be a winning program. We have to establish ourselves first then brand our identity.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

kansasCowboy wrote:I liked most of the new helmets, but this one that reps 87-96 was always my favorite. (By the way I'm 30, not in the over 60 category). I'm one who has always believed in tradition. And you do realize once we started making massive changes to our unis, we have mainly sucked. I think there are teams out there that have TERRIBLE looking unis, but still maintain respect for keeping THEIR look. LSU, PSU, Iowa, Mich, Ohio St,FSU, UCLA, USC, Colo, ND, BYU, Ohio, OU, Tex, KSU, ISU, LTU. That's just a handful. Some of them have the ugliest unis imaginable ( LSU, Mich, FSU, USC, ISU) but whe you see their uni, you know who they are.
TRUE DAT! Excellent post. BTW, I'm 40!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

And establishing yourself has nothing to do with uni's or helmet combos.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

OrediggerPoke wrote:I hope we still keep the forward pass.
If we mimic the teams that wore those helmets, that will not be a problem. Check out the Ryan Yarborough and Marcus Harris receiving stats.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:This is surprising. All the impressive graphics sent out to recruits, including various helmet/jersey combos....but overall Wyoming is opting for an old school look? Again, not sure how I feel about this. https://twitter.com/mikevorel/status/491682616723009537
I agree. "Sad day"

I had been waiting and hoping for the Brown with gold steamboat ever since I was in school. It is what we should have been using all along.

I say: "Embrace the brown and gold."
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Slow Hand wrote:We have to establish ourselves first then brand our identity.
If you keep changing your identity while trying to establish yourself on the football field, you don't know which identity to brand once you've been established on the field.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:We have to establish ourselves first then brand our identity.
If you keep changing your identity while trying to establish yourself on the football field, you don't know which identity to brand once you've been established on the field.
Everything related to UW Football this year is new so the identity should be new as well not 20 years old. Plus white helmet is just plain bad always has been always will be. I lived through those UW years they were great years and nothing about this team would make me think wow this team is like the 88 Cowboys except the uniforms. I would rather the Bohl era be fresh and new not old and worn out.

Before you ask about other teams, I don't like anyone wearing a plain white helmet I think it's ugly and dated.
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

My heart sank and I said a lot of bad words with the resignation of the brown helmet. :cry:

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
billings wrote:It was the helmet of consistently winning teams
We were damn good then. 2 straight WAC Championships, 1 WAC co-Championship, 4 bowls, and one divisional championship. Plus we embarrassed the unnamed ones on national T.V. in 1988 wearing those helmets!!!!!
We could have been wearing Pink and Purple polka-dots and been good when money wasn't the only thing that mattered in college sports, Let it go already.
Thank you. The winning tradition had nothing to do with the helmets, pads or anything other than the players themselves.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WyoExpat wrote:
J-Rod wrote:This is surprising. All the impressive graphics sent out to recruits, including various helmet/jersey combos....but overall Wyoming is opting for an old school look? Again, not sure how I feel about this. https://twitter.com/mikevorel/status/491682616723009537
I agree. "Sad day"

I had been waiting and hoping for the Brown with gold steamboat ever since I was in school. It is what we should have been using all along.

I say: "Embrace the brown and gold."
BULLSH*T! This really chaps my ass
Pokes Forever
Ranch Hand

I don't care what they wear as long as they compete!
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Oh jesus here we go. Whats next? The basketball team going back to short shorts and Chuck T's? Pandering to the old fogies and totally alienating the youngins. Those helmets are not good. Retro occasionally is ok, but that being the permanent go to helmet sucks.
LOL. f-word it, let's go full Starship Troopers.
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times

Slow Hand wrote:
I get what you are saying and I would argue that some of the teams you mentioned have "ugly" units. Did you see ND's helmets last year? Anyway my point is that too many people on this board thing that by simply changing back to the "Way it was" we are going to once again be a winning program. We have to establish ourselves first then brand our identity.
People who think changing uniforms (back, new, change 'em up weekly, whatever, just changing them) leads to a winning program at all are idiots.
wyoforever
Buckaroo

I think all uniforms look nice if you’ve got good players in ‘em.
-- Bill Parcells
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Brew_Poke wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
People who think changing uniforms (back, new, change 'em up weekly, whatever, just changing them) leads to a winning program at all are idiots.
Hell in the late 40s we scored over 100 in a game and went 10-0 and won the gator bowl without face masks. Since it is scientifically proven the uniform makes you better we should just wear a plain brown leather dome piece.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Ugly as f-word and embarrassing. :thumbdown: Just because they wore that junk years ago doesn't mean it will equal wins.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Holy poop fellas......a dated look has no bearing on how you play nor does a trendy look. I say get a uniform combo that isn't dated and looks good and roll with it. There is nothing wrong with a couple or three uniform combos. Nobody in their right mind will equate how a team plays with what color their helmets are. So I say let the boys look good and keep up with the Jones! But white helmets just plain suck! WE have a great logo so lets dress it up a little!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:Everything related to UW Football this year is new so the identity should be new as well not 20 years old. Plus white helmet is just plain bad always has been always will be. I lived through those UW years they were great years and nothing about this team would make me think wow this team is like the 88 Cowboys except the uniforms. I would rather the Bohl era be fresh and new not old and worn out.

Before you ask about other teams, I don't like anyone wearing a plain white helmet I think it's ugly and dated.
If they didn't have this helmet last year, then the helmet is new. Like you said, a new identity.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:Everything related to UW Football this year is new so the identity should be new as well not 20 years old. Plus white helmet is just plain bad always has been always will be. I lived through those UW years they were great years and nothing about this team would make me think wow this team is like the 88 Cowboys except the uniforms. I would rather the Bohl era be fresh and new not old and worn out.

If they didn't have this helmet last year, then the helmet is new. Like you said, a new identity.
They did have it last year and quite a few times over the past few years it has come out it's not new it's the same old look that we have always had new would be this.

That is what I really would love to have seen the Bohl start with a completely new redesigned but sticking to the roots helmet. That is a awesome looking helmet, I'm excited for the season none the less but there is a reason they went with that helmet and it's called good ole boy nostalgia nothing more and nothing less.

Bohl is like a politician, Hell every job that has to do with public figure and state money is just being a politician. His job as that new Mayor in Laramie is get the financial support of the community. Nothing brings out the checkbooks like reliving the glory days.

It's why anyone on these forums could name their favorite song in Jr High and if that group was still active and they were given the opportunity to go to the concert they would. Everyone loves talking about good memories and that includes rich good ole boys that run UW.