MW Media Days

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Hayduke wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:https://twitter.com/mikevorel/status/491747892663554048 Mountain West coaches reflect on challenges in transforming a program
Craig Bohl is not alone.

Wyoming's first year head coach has a challenge ahead of him, as he attempts to re-tool a program that hasn't reached a bowl game since 2011. The former North Dakota State coach's first year in Laramie is filled with transition, as new offensive and defensive systems are installed and an attitude is shaped and molded.

The Mountain West Conference, however, is no stranger to this struggle. Of the conference's 12 member programs, only Air Force coach Troy Calhoun has spent more than four seasons with his current team.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... ff20a.html
I'd bet this is Calhoun's last season with Air Force.

Just sayin'...
His teams have been on a downward spiral the last few years.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

DeBerry at AFA, Wagner at Hawaii...the triple option is always the same....early success, the followed by opposing defenses catching on as the years go on. Downfall of such a limited scheme.

But their issue is on defense. Bottom line: too small. Everyone and anyone can just run them over.
Last edited by J-Rod on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

J-Rod wrote:DeBerry at AFA, Wagner at Hawaii...the triple option is always the same....early success, the followed by opposing defenses catching on as the years go on. Downfall if such a limited scheme.

But their issue is on defense. Bottom line: too small. Everyone and anyone can just run them over.
I don't think Fisher Deberry's exit had anything to do with the triple option running out of style.... The same sentence could be used to describe pretty much every coach. They enjoy success early... until they don't anymore and then they are gone. Doesn't matter what the offense is.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

College football healthy, but lots of uncertainty ahead for MW

LAS VEGAS — Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson said college football has never been healthier, but “there are storm clouds” approaching for his league, that enters its 16th year.

Total cost of attendance to scholarships, unlimited meals for football players and possibly all student-athletes, autonomy from the five biggest college football conferences and pending lawsuits where the league is named in two were some of the examples Thompson used in his state of the conference address Monday afternoon during the league’s media day activities at the Cosmopolitan.

“We’re moving in a new realm, and it’s a legal realm where we may spend more time in court than on the court,” Thompson said.
On a more positive note, Thompson said the new College Football Playoff format is a “watershed event” for college football. He expects the MW to be in the mix for one of those four spots annually based on its history (four BCS bowl appearances in 15 years).

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... f887a.html
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

calpoke25 wrote:
J-Rod wrote:DeBerry at AFA, Wagner at Hawaii...the triple option is always the same....early success, the followed by opposing defenses catching on as the years go on. Downfall if such a limited scheme.

I don't think Fisher Deberry's exit had anything to do with the triple option running out of style.... The same sentence could be used to describe pretty much every coach. They enjoy success early... until they don't anymore and then they are gone. Doesn't matter what the offense is.
Including Hatfield before Deberry as well, correct. Which reminded me, can anyone here believe that Parcells coached AFA in 1978? Oh my. He went 3 & 8, before moving to the NFL for life.

And a well conditioned and disciplined AFA football team, regardless of size, is always going to be up to the challenge of the game.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Larawie
Ranch Hand

calpoke25 wrote:

DeBerry was the HC for 22 years. I don't think his exit had anythin' to do with runnin' out of style, either. He was just runnin' outta gas. The life of a HC at any military academy has to be the most stressful. You're expected to win but, player-wise, your resources are limited. I have the utmost respect for any coach or player at a military academy. Just don't wanna lose to 'em.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I still don't get how that qualifies as an illegal hit. I understand leading with the helmet and all, but that hit was judged off the effect. Anyways the refs get the call reversed more often than not. :rule: :rule:
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

VIDEO: Key takeaways from Day 2 of Mountain West Media Days