What's great about cowboy football?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
GoPokes
Buckaroo

Hello folks :D

Been lurking for awhile. Moving to Laramie soon and getting excited about some UW football. Spent four years in the stands at every Texas A&M home game (way before SEC and Manziel madness). Then graduate school had me pulling for Texas Tech and later Oklahoma State. All of these institutions have strong support for their football programs and a bit of the underdog/scrappiness/toughness that I sense UW has (although Texas A&M no longer plays second fiddle to Texas).

Anyways, given the football programs I have supported I am pumped about watching UW cowboy football and seeing what UW does in the Bohl era.

With all that being said, what do you all think is great about UW football? Cool traditions, game day atmosphere, War Memorial etc? Also, how does the UW football atmosphere compare to other colleges you have associated with?

Feel free to throw out what you like about Laramie and Wyoming in general.

Go pokes
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

GoPokes wrote:Hello folks :D

Been lurking for awhile. Moving to Laramie soon and getting excited about some UW football. Spent four years in the stands at every Texas A&M home game (way before SEC and Manziel madness). Then graduate school had me pulling for Texas Tech and later Oklahoma State. All of these institutions have strong support for their football programs and a bit of the underdog/scrappiness/toughness that I sense UW has (although Texas A&M no longer plays second fiddle to Texas).

Anyways, given the football programs I have supported I am pumped about watching UW cowboy football and seeing what UW does in the Bohl era.

With all that being said, what do you all think is great about UW football? Cool traditions, game day atmosphere, War Memorial etc? Also, how does the UW football atmosphere compare to other colleges you have associated with?

Feel free to throw out what you like about Laramie and Wyoming in general.

Go pokes

Welcome. Hope you enjoy UW.

Great things about UW football (or athletics in general):

1. State Support - A truly unique situation for FBS college football. The only 4 year school in the state (not just the only FBS program, but the only 4 year school in the state). This means the entire state pulls for the Pokes. Granted, the entire state only has 500k people, but still. What always strikes me when I come back to Wyoming to visit (I live in Texas now) is how synonymous the branding of Wyoming the State is with the University of Wyoming. You can go to any town in the state and within minutes see the Steamboat logo and folks decked out in UW gear. Down here you see such a mixture of allegiances, but that's not really the case in Wyoming.

2. Geographical Setting - The highest elevation of any D-1 school (FBS or FCS) at 7200' set in small town in the nation's least populated state. Laramie is also the coldest FBS locale by significant margin in terms of annual mean temperature (Minnesota is 2nd) and the windiest in terms of average wind speed. Whether or not this is "great" is certainly up to interpretation but I love that UW is so unique in this regard. We are remote, colder than hell, and the snow falls sideways, and we like it that way. Plus, it seems to really annoy SDSU fans for some reason, which is always a benefit.

3. Tradition - Wyoming had a long record of success from the late 40's through the late 90's in which they produced a number of great coaches. Some ended their career at UW (Roach, Eaton), but many moved on to higher profile gigs and became well known names in the sport (Wyatt, Devaney, Dye, Erickson, Tiller, etc.).

4. Beer Song - Great song, ironic performance (alcoholic beverages are not sold at UW athletic events, unless you are in the Wildcatter suites).

5. Traveling Support - This is more of a UW athletics thing in general. Wyoming fans always travel very well to bowl games (perhaps due to the rarity in which we participate, but still) and conference tournaments for basketball. Wyoming definitely punches above it's weight in terms of traveling fanbase. Other MWC members might suggest it is just because Wyoming fans are trying to get out or Wyoming in the winter :D Anyway, I think it is actually more symptomatic of the depth of support that UW receives. We don't have the largest fanbase in the MWC as you would expect being the 2nd smallest school (Air Force Academy) in the league located in the by far the least populated area in the league but the fanbase that we do have is very dedicated. They travel long distances through inclement weather to support the Pokes and they support the Pokes via donations and membership in the Cowboy Joe Club. CJC is our booster organization as is always near the top of the league in members and donations. We don't have a large casual fanbase, but our hardcore fanbase is solid.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

And their 1962 style helmets
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Actually nowhere, according to a website (forget what it was), Wyoming has the 2nd largest fanbase in the MWC, with only BSU having more.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Cowboy Ken
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Funnel cakes!

Making fun of CSEwe, BYU, and other rivals, though those two take precedence.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

fromolwyoming wrote:Actually nowhere, according to a website (forget what it was), Wyoming has the 2nd largest fanbase in the MWC, with only BSU having more.
BSUs fanbase is a weird one. The college has only existed since what.. the 70s? There are fans older than the college. Lots of their fans probably have no idea they were in the Big Sky at one point.
ImageImageImageImage
BJC
A Real Cowboy

*arguing about uniforms! :popcorn:
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Get yourself a fly rod, and you can fish your way through the offseason in the crystal clear mountain streams just outside of Laramie. There's also some good local eateries.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Surprised nobody yet has mentioned...

Getting a handjob in the alley behind the Buckhorn, next to the dumpster. A bucket list item. An E Ticket attraction.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

McPeachy wrote:Surprised nobody yet has mentioned...

Getting a handjob in the alley behind the Buckhorn, next to the dumpster. A bucket list item. An E Ticket attraction.
:lol:

For out of towners, an honorable mention to gameday breakfast at the Buckhorn followed by the Buckhorn roll.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

only hj? ha :rofl:
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

BJC wrote:

only hj? ha :rofl:
Safer. ;)

Nobody ever cried rape when found hand-jobbing in the alley by the dumpster. And unless she has an open wound on her hand...
Dear Karma,

BJC
A Real Cowboy

oh my........now this poor individual is probably questioning his decision. :shock:
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

BJC wrote:oh my........now this poor individual is probably questioning his decision. :shock:
Or it cemented his decision as a solid one! ;)
Dear Karma,

MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Note to self: Go to Buckhorn next month. Avoid McPeachy's advances.
ImageImageImageImage
GoPokes
Buckaroo

Thanks for the great insights. I guess all info has some value and now I know what back alleys to avoid.

Two more questions:

What is the CSU rivalry like? Pretty bitter or respectful? Any other interesting rivalries?

What's up with SDSU and their participation in the MWC?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

GoPokes wrote:Thanks for the great insights. I guess all info has some value and now I know what back alleys to avoid.

Two more questions:

What is the CSU rivalry like? Pretty bitter or respectful? Any other interesting rivalries?

What's up with SDSU and their participation in the MWC?
We did have a rivalry with a certain school in Utah that almost everyone in Wyoming hates beyond belief....BYU! The evil Empire!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

I think it's pretty respectful most of the time, but things get pretty rough between the students which I'm sure is the case in most rivalries. Living in Denver now I've come to terms with dealing with CSU, and we're friendly about it. Nobody cares too much about CSU around here so its not a big deal. I actually have more WYO grads working in my office than CSU grads. BYU on the other hand...
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

LasCrucesPoke wrote:I think it's pretty respectful most of the time, but things get pretty rough between the students which I'm sure is the case in most rivalries. Living in Denver now I've come to terms with dealing with CSU, and we're friendly about it. Nobody cares too much about CSU around here so its not a big deal. I actually have more WYO grads working in my office than CSU grads. BYU on the other hand...

I just spent 5 years in Laramie as a student and the rivalry is not heated between the students.
It might have been 10 years ago, but it isn't now. The rivalry exists on WyoNation and RamNation.

I've heard so many great stories about how awesome it used to be but since both programs have been in the dumpster for so long, no one cares. Do CSU students even know about the Bronze Boot? Or do they care more about the CU game?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.