Players Don't Care About Uniforms?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

Just a few examples...in case anyone was wondering.

At the 1:25 mark...

And at the 4:30 mark...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

You will never convince anyone around here that uniforms are important to players. Most people seem to think they are fluff and cause distractions which is the craziest thing I have ever heard.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Yep...and there are tons of videos on YouTube similar to those.

Listen to how relieved at the very end these husky players are to find out they are NOT wearing the advertised jerseys. Players/recruits care about how they look.

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote:You will never convince anyone around here that uniforms are important to players. Most people seem to think they are fluff and cause distractions which is the craziest thing I have ever heard.
Totally agree with what you said, as to the reason for the new thread, and me posting about it (with real examples). We all have our opinion on DC and staff, etc., but he did have the uniform thing nailed - especially with this generation of player (and that is a huge key).
Dear Karma,

BJC
A Real Cowboy

exactly......
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

And then there are people who just want to play football and don't care what they wear...
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:And then there are people who just want to play football and don't care what they wear...
We call them "The Five Percenters" - and they are usually the ones that are just glad to be there and have the opportunity. AKA benchwarmers.
Dear Karma,

BJC
A Real Cowboy

Okay....obviously people play football because they love football. People do not play because the uniform design etc. They also play for the steamboat. But to say young men do not care how they look is simply not true. Again.....this is not top priority, etc. but to say it doesnt matter or is a distraction to players I 100% disagree.

To say uniforms are a distraction to players is an insult to players. :twocents:

Please let the season hurry up and start......... :nutkick:
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Its not necessarily about whether or not its a distraction.

If you're changing jerseys in hopes that it'll get a recruit to change his mind and pick Wyoming over another school, his priorities are misplaced.

I want someone to choose Wyoming because they want to turn this program into a winner, not because "theze jerzeys look kool". If that means a few recruits decide not to come here, so be it. They were probably the kind of recruit who would transfer out the next summer, anyways, because Coach Bohl is too tough on him.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Uniforms are huge to players. Ask any current or former player about their "Swag" and see what response you get. Most all of your on this board have no idea just how important looking good is to them. The only people happy with the uniform reduction is Mad Dog and the trainers because it is way less work for them! BTW earlier someone made a comment about the white helmet being a practice helmet.....that is exactly what they are. Just go watch fall camp (if you could) and you would see the whole team in solid white lids. Mad Dog and his crew slaps the decal on one day before game day. Once again nothing wrong with multiple uniform combos.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:Its not necessarily about whether or not its a distraction.

If you're changing jerseys in hopes that it'll get a recruit to change his mind and pick Wyoming over another school, his priorities are misplaced.

I want someone to choose Wyoming because they want to turn this program into a winner, not because "theze jerzeys look kool". If that means a few recruits decide not to come here, so be it. They were probably the kind of recruit who would transfer out the next summer, anyways, because Coach Bohl is too tough on him.
That is because you have values that were instilled in you when you were growing up, I have those values as I was brought up in a way material values mean nothing and I only cared about what I thought about me and no one else. Odds are we were brought up in the same generation or you are rare that have parents that still instill those values.

Not all parents that raise kids today instill those values upon their children. It's very unfortunate but it's very true, Now I'm not saying no parents do but far less parents take part in their child's life today than 20 years ago.

Kids care what they look like on the field when they are dressing up for game day. They want to look good, they want new and different not all kids do but I would guess 60% or more of athletes in college today want to look good and feel good to perform good and I don't think there is anything wrong with it.
castlerocker
Cowpoke

If those players in the video got so excited about black, which is the most god awful, ugly color there is, does that mean they would get more excited for something that had some real life to it?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

castlerocker wrote:If those players in the video got so excited about black, which is the most god awful, ugly color there is, does that mean they would get more excited for something that had some real life to it?
Black? I didn't see any all black uniforms. Both of those uniforms look better than ours sorry. UW Brown & Gold is fine there is no room for white yet all we wear is white with brown and gold highlights.
Pokes Forever
Ranch Hand

Bohl was able to make green and yellow look good.....here's hoping he makes Brown and Gold look even better!
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

Nailed it.

How many of you remember living in Laramie? It looks like a third world country when you get off the highway. The kind of kid that picks Wyo because of the fancy uniform isn't going to hang around town too long. If you think you can recruit Pokes based on aesthetics (unless you count run down rural as a good aesthetic), you're nuts.

Disclaimer: I like the fancy extra uniforms, but I don't really care and I like to argue.
52-56
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

jessejames02 wrote:

Nailed it.

How many of you remember living in Laramie? It looks like a third world country when you get off the highway. The kind of kid that picks Wyo because of the fancy uniform isn't going to hang around town too long. If you think you can recruit Pokes based on aesthetics (unless you count run down rural as a good aesthetic), you're nuts.

Disclaimer: I like the fancy extra uniforms, but I don't really care and I like to argue.
"How many of you remember living in Laramie?"
Uh, still here dude.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Some of you are missing the point.

Nobody said any athlete picked Wyoming or stayed at Wyoming because of the uniforms. Holy poop.

But having great uniforms (and swag to go with it) definitely serves a purpose & helps in the grand scheme of things. Maybe think of it as an extra little perk at your current job, that your competing employer doesn't offer. It won't win them all over all of the time, but it sure helps, and definitely doesn't hurt.
Dear Karma,

ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I personally don't think CDC's uniform combos made any recruit say hell yeah, I have to go to Wyoming for their 18 uniform combos. But I 100% believe a recruit on the fence may look at a school like us with one boring and old uniform and choose a similar school with variety. Believe it or don't, the truth is this younger generation cares about the way they look on the field.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

did they sell off all the other unis?
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

For an athlete with multiple offers and trying to decide between schools, looking good and cool unis could be a deciding factor. I remember reading tweets from current players during their recruitment and their first year at UW...they were very excited for the different unis and having NIKE, especially the camo unis. I wasn't the biggest fan of them, because I wasn't sold on them being "military appreciation". IMHO, just because you are wearing an off color camo doesn't mean you are celebrating the military.