Players Don't Care About Uniforms?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

BackHarlowRoad wrote:these high schoolers don't even know Wyoming has a football program. If they do, they recognize the "gross brown and yellow" uniforms.
Exactly. Those players probably didn't recognize Boise State 15 years ago either. But I'd bet their version of orange and blue doesn't make any difference to a kid.
BackHarlowRoad wrote:He might be hitting the gym and changing his attitude, but that's gonna take time.
True, it will take time, but fancy duds don't make it happen any faster.

Bottom line. Win baby. Just win.

GO POKES!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

This whole argument reminds me of the ole "which came first...the chicken or the egg" argument.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Wyokie wrote:This whole argument reminds me of the ole "which came first...the chicken or the egg" argument.
Personally, I just buy both chicken and eggs. No reason to limit yourself only to an omlette for breakfast if you can also afford grilled chicken for dinner.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:Disagree. As someone who has worked in high schools outside of Wyoming and other MWC areas, these high schoolers don't even know Wyoming has a football program. If they do, they recognize the "gross brown and yellow" uniforms.
Which brings up my earlier point:
joshvanklomp wrote:If looking swag is all that matters, maybe Wyoming should change their school colors to a more swag color scheme.
I think the "gross" comment has more to do with the color scheme than the jerseys themselves. My alma mater has a similar color scheme (brown & "Vegas" gold), so I've heard all the punchlines. No matter what, there will be comments on the color scheme. New "swag" jerseys won't change that.

So are you willing to change the Cowboys' color scheme to appeal to a few football recruits?
Looking swag is not ALL that matters, not even close, so I agree with you there. Once someone is recruited by us, the color scheme and uniforms is pretty far down on the list when making their decision. I agree with you there also.

All I'm saying is that swag looking uniforms gives teams more attention that they wouldn't receive otherwise. Some of these kids might know who we are BEFORE we send them recruiting information, which I think could aid in the process.

It's not a huge deal (especially as big as we on this board are making it out to be), I just think it's a minor mistake to look like we're from the 80s when we don't have the tradition, power, location and money to fall back on.

As far as the color scheme, it's here to stay. Would never want to change it. It's unique. The right looking uniforms make the scheme look way better in my opinion. What we had in the 80s doesn't do that. The helmets and jerseys didn't even use the same shade of gold. If we're going to do this we better go all in and start bringing back half-shirts, facemasks of the era, high top fades & mullets, and long floppy ear rings LT style. That'd be something.
Last edited by BackHarlowRoad on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

Can we revert back to what in the hell Taylor Haynes had to do with any of this?

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:Uniforms are huge to players. Ask any current or former player about their "Swag" and see what response you get. Most all of your on this board have no idea just how important looking good is to them.
If looking swag is all that matters, maybe Wyoming should change their school colors to a more swag color scheme.
What? And just become another one of the 44 teams that uses a variation of red, or one of the 43 teams tha uses a variation of Blue, or maybe one of 13 others that use Black as it's main color, maybe one of the 11 that use a green variation, or one of the 8 that use Orange, maybe one of the 6 that currently use Purple. Or we can be one of only two that use Brown as a main color. And the only one that is BROWN and GOLD!

By the way the only other two schools to use brown... Western Mich and BGSU as a highlight.

In all actuality there are only 7 teams that are unique in color scheme.
1. WYO
2. Virg Tech- Maroon and Orange
3. LSU- Yellow and Purple
4. W. Mich- Brown and Black
5. KSU- Purple and silver
6. Clemson- Orange and purple
7. BGSU- Orange and Brown

I'd say that makes us special and gives us our own Swag.
I completely agree with you, just like I've agreed with you on the jerseys/helmets. Just pointing out how dumb the swag argument is.

If swag jerseys are the reason a recruit signs with Wyoming, Craig Bohl has done something wrong, because it means we aren't winning.
Nobody said that was the reason they come to Wyoming, But they sure do appreciate the "Swag" once they get here. To say they don't care what they look like is completely not true.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

:coffee:
hithere
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:
What? My sarcasm filter isn't functioning today, could you please decipher this post?

Do you like Taylor Haines, or not? Why?

Do you like Tracy Ringolsby, or not? Why?
I like that Taylor Haynes exists and is running for Governor. I also like how he poses for photographs.

I like that Tracy Ringolsby posts on message boards.

I like uniform threads because they garner so much passion and so many HOT TAKES from everyone involved that they make great reading. Other than that, I'm just as bored as anyone else that posts/reads stuff here and my opinion is worth as much as anyone else. That is, bupkis.

If someone doesn't think GOLD assless rattlesnake skin chaps with contrasting BROWN tassled sleeveless seal skin vests wouldn't be some of the most SWAG pieces of football wardrobe ever, then I honestly don't know what to tell them.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

ha
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

Miami was winless last year and Ohio was 7-6 in the MAC with a 49-0 loss to Bowling Green. Not sure I would use video of those teams' reactions as the best proof for this debate. :whistle:
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

yopaulie wrote:Miami was winless last year and Ohio was 7-6 in the MAC with a 49-0 loss to Bowling Green. Not sure I would use video of those teams' reactions as the best proof for this debate. :whistle:
Yeah I was wondering about that myself.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

hithere wrote:If someone doesn't think GOLD assless rattlesnake skin chaps with contrasting BROWN tassled sleeveless seal skin vests wouldn't be some of the most SWAG pieces of football wardrobe ever, then I honestly don't know what to tell them.
I clicked on this thread and saw this post first. I laughed my ass off. Nice work.
ImageImageImageImage
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

I think all the Nike swag helped with mercy sales as well.

When I was in school you could maybe buy 1 Nike Wyoming hoodie maybe... Now all the gear is cool.

The biggest accomplishment of DC era was the uniforms and the ability for fans to buy decent gear!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
yopaulie wrote:Miami was winless last year and Ohio was 7-6 in the MAC with a 49-0 loss to Bowling Green. Not sure I would use video of those teams' reactions as the best proof for this debate. :whistle:
Gee Sus Christ

Maybe using their reaction, is even more valuable, as it shows a team with low morale and a poop record (like us at Wyoming), getting a morale boost with a new uniform / swag package.

Then again, maybe the videos are an example of both a low morale team (Miami) and a high morale team (Ohio 2011) when...Ohio went 10 & 4 / 6 & 2 and beat Utah State in the Idaho potato bowl?

Either way, it doesn't matter - that isn't THE POINT! Read the thread, pay attention to the title. :thumb:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

McPeachy wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Gee Sus Christ

Maybe using their reaction, is even more valuable, as it shows a team with low morale and a poop record (like us at Wyoming), getting a morale boost with a new uniform / swag package.

Then again, maybe the videos are an example of both a low morale team (Miami) and a high morale team (Ohio 2011) when...Ohio went 10 & 4 / 6 & 2 and beat Utah State in the Idaho potato bowl?

Either way, it doesn't matter - that isn't THE POINT! Read the thread, pay attention to the title. :thumb:
Yup. The point was never "Fancy uniforms make good teams".

The point was "Players care about how they look."

They do. Sorry old timers, it's a fact, not a theory.

Here you go, since you wanted a more high profile reaction:
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

My last post in this thread because it's not even really about the uniforms as much as it is about arguing and someone made a very valid point. It is possible that the Uniform means nothing to the student but since I'm in Scottsdale AZ and I know a lot of ASU students and Athletes from my roommate I have to absolutely disagree because I hear them constantly all year talking about ASU Uniforms and when it changed recently it was the talk of the area and it sounded exactly like these forums.

However let me bring a huge example of Uniforms in the students eyes that hasn't been brought up here.

On a much smaller but still very visible scale as an athlete would you rather get a poster like that in the mail or a letter on white stationery? It's the same thing when it's hard to recruit you use every point of impact you can to get attention.

Do we get recruits based on the recruitment poster and Uniform that choose Wyoming over something else? I'd say they may never admit it that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Wyoming and Bohl should use everything at it's disposal to get recruits and yes that means Uniforms that don't look like crap. I get why they are using the what they are they are clearly trying to distant the program from anything DC related and that means getting rid of everything he brought in.

My opinion going backwards in Uniform style isn't a good move from any standpoint and while I'm probably the most disappointed about losing the full brown look I still hope Bohl can turn the corner with the program.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:Wyoming and Bohl should use everything at it's disposal to get recruits and yes that means Uniforms that don't look like crap.
So you're saying you like the white helmets now? Because the brown ones look like crap...literally. :lol:
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

joshvanklomp wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:Wyoming and Bohl should use everything at it's disposal to get recruits and yes that means Uniforms that don't look like crap.
So you're saying you like the white helmets now? Because the brown ones look like crap...literally. :lol:
I hate all white helmets, I would rather the helmet represent the school color and that goes for all teams. Be it Gold or Brown anything is better than white.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Wyo2dal wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
I hate all white helmets, I would rather the helmet represent the school color and that goes for all teams. Be it Gold or Brown anything is better than white.
I love the white helmets. Just as long as there are brown-yellow (gold)-brown stripes down the middle of the helmets. First time I saw a Wyoming football game (early 1980s on tv playing @ Nebraska) they had the white helmets so...I was raised on seeing them. Hated the yellow facemasks. Glad either Erickson or Roach had them changed to brown.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I do wonder what all the players think about all of us non-players vigorously debate about what the players think about the uniforms they wear :lol: :lol:

I am sure many of them wish they could post a response.