Kid from Rawlins turning some heads - POKES interested

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

By John Roark
When Rawlins High School football team steps onto the football field for 2014 season opener, Corey Wheeler’s Outlaws can showcase one of the state’s top athletes.

Senior wide receiver-defensive back Isaac Jefferson turned many heads during last weekend’s Blue-Grey West Super Combine at College of San Mateo (Calif).

The combines serve as springboards to this winter’s Blue-Gray All-American Bowls — Dec. 14 at Dallas’ AT&T Stadium (NFL home of the Cowboys) and Jan. 10, 2015 inside the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ Raymond James Stadium.

In an environment where numbers are king, Jefferson posted some eye-popping performances, according to Sean Ceglinsky, Blue-Grey media director.

“It’s safe to say that Isaac turned heads when he took part in the first regional,” Ceglinsky said. “Isaac’s a kid we had our eyes on for quite some time.”

Jefferson’s top effort came in the standing broad jump, where he sailed 9 feet, 11 inches. That leap was the best of the 85 athletes who advanced from various regional combines.

“I never really studied any forms,” Jefferson said. “I just put my feet apart to where I felt I could explode. I just swung my arms forward, took off and stayed on my heels to get the best distance.”

Jefferson also posted brilliant times in the 40-yard dash and 20-yard shuttle.

In the 40, Jefferson stopped the watches in 4.49 seconds, the sixth-best time of the day.

Rest of story here--> http://www.rawlinstimes.com/news/2014/07/turning-heads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Hmmmmmm....

http://bluegreyfootball.com/combines/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

McPeachy wrote:Hmmmmmm....

http://bluegreyfootball.com/combines/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow, whoever wrote the sorting for the columns screwed up big time.

As for the actual kid - not bad. 5'8, 145lbs is definitely a bit on the small side, but... he's got some time to grow, I suppose?
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

West Super Combine Results – College of San Mateo – San Mateo, CA – July 13, 2014
http://bluegreyfootball.com/west-super- ... y-13-2014/

There was a Wyoming kid from Powell there, too, that was singled out for the most bench reps at one of the MANY combines that are a part of the blue grey combine/bowl organization.
http://bluegreyfootball.com/blue-grey-s ... -notebook/
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
5'8, 145lbs is definitely a bit on the small side, but... he's got some time to grow, I suppose?
Wow, that is tiny. However, I believe Danny Woodhead was about that size coming out of high school and he proved the doubters wrong.
StarValleyPoke
Buckaroo

OrediggerPoke wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:
5'8, 145lbs is definitely a bit on the small side, but... he's got some time to grow, I suppose?
Wow, that is tiny. However, I believe Danny Woodhead was about that size coming out of high school and he proved the doubters wrong.
Maybe Hoost Marsh-esque? Loved that guy.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I know this young man. My son played football with his Dad. Both are very good athletes.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:
That's actually a popular misconception about Danny. While he is short at 5-8, he was 185 coming out of high school.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote:I know this young man. My son played football with his Dad. Both are very good athletes.
LOL....the kid is showing some explosiveness. Not surprised that he had one of the faster 40s to go along with broad jump.

Does he have a frame that Zach can Wardaddy up to 170+?
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

POKE FAN wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:I know this young man. My son played football with his Dad. Both are very good athletes.
LOL....the kid is showing some explosiveness. Not surprised that he had one of the faster 40s to go along with broad jump.

Does he have a frame that Zach can Wardaddy up to 170+?
Yes, I think he can - in fact, I thought he was bigger than they had him listed. I wouldn't be surprised to see him bulk up some during his senior year.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
castlerocker
Cowpoke

At 5' 8" he would have to be an exceptional athlete just to overcome the height thing.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Brad Hunter had similar size/athleticism coming out of Worland (5'9" 150ish). He ended up 5'9" 170-175 pounds at Black Hills State and ran a 4.40. This kid could probably do the same. I don't know if that's worth a scholarship, but I would absolutely want him to walk on. Getting Wyoming kids like Isaac to walk on would be a great way to develop some quality depth and an elite special teams unit.
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

I knew his dad in High School. His dad was a good high school player. His Dad is about 6 feet, so he may have some more growing to do.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

145 is small, but Ryan Smith was pretty good for Bohl at only 5'8".
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

joshvanklomp wrote:145 is small, but Ryan Smith was pretty good for Bohl at only 5'8".
Who & Who Cares

I am sure Bohl took a huge dump once, and was super proud of it. Do you still have the pictures?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

SDPokeFan wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:
That's actually a popular misconception about Danny. While he is short at 5-8, he was 185 coming out of high school.
He looked about 160 when I saw him as a freshman at Chadron. Then he ran for 300 against Mines...in a loss :lol:
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

The main reason this kid has received the attention is because he had one of the best standing broad jumps. I believe it was 9'10" (not sure about the exact measurement) A couple of things to note here, first off that is not that good. If this is one of the best then the camp was not that strong. I realize that he is only a Junior going to be a senior but that is still average at best. Secondly if he is as good as he is supposed to be where are his HS stats and "measurables?"
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Slow Hand wrote:The main reason this kid has received the attention is because he had one of the best standing broad jumps. I believe it was 9'10" (not sure about the exact measurement) A couple of things to note here, first off that is not that good. If this is one of the best then the camp was not that strong. I realize that he is only a Junior going to be a senior but that is still average at best. Secondly if he is as good as he is supposed to be where are his HS stats and "measurables?"
Uh...9'10" is actually pretty good for a standing broad jump, especially for a junior that is only 5'8". To put it in perspective, Robert Herron in the combine jumped 10'5" and Sammy Watkins (#4 overall pick in the draft) jumped 10'6". Being that young and small and only 8 inches behind a Top 5 skill position draftee isn't too shabby IMO.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Slow Hand wrote:The main reason this kid has received the attention is because he had one of the best standing broad jumps. I believe it was 9'10" (not sure about the exact measurement) A couple of things to note here, first off that is not that good. If this is one of the best then the camp was not that strong. I realize that he is only a Junior going to be a senior but that is still average at best. Secondly if he is as good as he is supposed to be where are his HS stats and "measurables?"
9"11 is average for what demographic? NFL players? NCAA defensive backs? Elite high school athletes?It's certainly not average for your common high school player, especially in Wyoming.

Also, no one has said anything about his football skills. The [local Rawlins newspaper] article just said he turned heads by performing well at a combine. Hard to argue that posting the best regional jump and 6th best in the country at these combines isn't a pretty good showing.

It also doesn't say Wyoming is interested, just that he is interested in them. Take this for what it is, a local kid getting recognized for something pretty cool.