Join The Posse - Sellout vs. Montana

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:I appreciate your points, however having been around D1 athletics and around Wyoming football in particular, I am not as optimistic to the loyalty of some 18-23 years olds as you may be.

1. Wyoming is the only game in Wyoming. I wouldn't support it (like I do now) any longer, but the next generation would. When you are the only movie theatre, people are going to go watch, like what is showing or not.

A valid point, but you can forget about people driving across the state and up from Fort Collins/Denver for games. The Laramie, Cheyenne, and maybe Casper crowd is about it.

2. We have more money to spend than most (if not all) of the current FCS programs have. Our current AD is good at just floating by - so naturally it would fit. Maintain the budget, and UW would be golden. I am sure they (the AD) has thought about how much less effort they would have to give (and how they wouldn't have to work "as hard").

We have money now, but if we dropped to FCS, our budget would be shredded. We would lose a lot of sponsor $$$, we would lose ticket revenues, we would lose TV money (not a ton, but still). Not to mention the massive loss of money from the Wildcatter suites, we would have to drop prices or it would not be used nearly as much IMO.

3. To say that 52 to 53 players would bail out is an overstatement of epic proportions IMO. Would some transfer out? Certainly. But also...some would transfer in as well. Any player from the FBS ranks could drop down and immediately play at FCS Wyoming (**See previous posts on how FCS programs attract FBS talent**). The pool is deeper there, than the reverse!

This is the big one for me. I am certain that we would lose a large percentage of athletes due to transfer. Seniors might stick around, but junior, sophs, etc...I bet 50%+ of each class would leave. Also, keep in mind that FCS programs only are allowed 63 scholarships as opposed to the 85 of FBS, so that would severely limit recruiting for the first year or two.

4. The level of competition. I don't even want to get into that...but the gap is HUGE. You think the gap is big between the SEC and MWC, you should consider the gaps that exist in the FCS. To be top 20 FCS really isn't anything special.

I agree that the gap between FBS and FCS is huge, HOWEVER, the gap between Wyoming and Alabama is far greater than the gap between Wyoming and North Dakota State. I'm not saying that our current roster couldn't dominate the FCS, my point is that we would not have our current roster, it would be a shell of what it is now.

The biggest reason I feel that this would hurt UW is because a lot of the recruits we bring in are because we are FBS. If we were suddenly FCS, we would lose recruits to No. Colorado, Montana, Montana St., the Dakotas, etc. We wouldn't be anything special. Sure we would get local kids, but that's about it. IMHO, within 3 years, we would be a good, but not great FCS program, and that's where we would stay.

I agree with the basic concept that Wyoming will never go FCS and that it would be a losing proposition to do so. However, I don't think using Alabama and NDSU are very good examples. NDSU dominated the FCS division for the last 3 years. The better question would be (although it is only for amusement as it will never happen) where Wyoming would fit in structurally after the drop to FCS. Obviously the fanbase would decline and with it the resultant revenues, but IMO, UW would still structurally be near the top of the division. Even with a significant reduction in fanbase, UW would have the best facilities in the Big Sky (hypothetical landing spot) and fan support second only to Montana (Pokes are behind Montana in that department now anyway).

The reality is that Wyoming doesn't belong in the Big Sky. Structurally, we are a MWC team. Of course, Montana doesn't belong in the Big Sky either. If they would have grown a pair years ago, they would have been in the MWC by now. I have some sympathy for NDSU because by the time they built a powerhouse FCS program there was no credible path to FBS membership. However, Montana was positioned to make the move years ago when the WAC needed teams (they took Idaho for god-sakes). Instead, they chose to stay in a lower level and compete against directional 3rd tier schools. That's their choice, but it's certainly not going to engender any respect from me.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

NowherePoke wrote:It's true that our OOC home slate is not bursting with Power 5 teams, but we get more home games against Power 5 opponents than the entire FCS division gets against FBS opponents. Not even the weakest MAC or Sun Belt team is hitting the road to play in Missoula.
Typically they're not allowed to by conference rules..
ImageImageImageImage
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

4645 left now.. lol

GO POKES!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

tttgowyo wrote:4645 left now.. lol
At least is appears to be working. Wonder if the 2,000 - 3,000 walk ups (that usually show) are counted in this stupid meter thing...making it 6645 - 7645 left actual, or an actual attendance of 22,000 or so...

:?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

800+ sold in 2 days?! Not too shabby.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Damn, maybe I should get my tickets already before it's too late
W-Y, Until I Die!
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

I think they're putting up the end zone bleachers and does anyone know how student and players tickets are equated into this count?
HighPlainsDrifter
Buckaroo

The student section is not included in the tickets available count.

I assume all other tickets with an actual seat assignment are accounted for.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

gopokes1399 wrote:I think they're putting up the end zone bleachers and does anyone know how student and players tickets are equated into this count?
Oh my...if they put up the endzone for this game...what a waste of money!

Players passes / tickets are not counted in UW's attendance.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote:Who the f-word brings up this FCS and Wyoming bull poop all the time? Shut the f-word up! Wyoming is playing an FCS team and could lose. End of story. It's not going to destroy the program if we do
+1
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times

So, I'm glad to see that the enthusiasm level is greater than mine as I expressed here:
Brew_Poke wrote:19k announced, less actually there
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10995#p115202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That'll start the season off great on Root across the region. Now, it is imperative to win to set the stage for the season. Go 'Pokes!
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

So far with what it shows we have left, we're looking at a crowd of 25,604.

That's bigger than than any game last year. What did we have 24,900 for CSU.

I'll take it. But I'm happy when we have any crowd over 20,000.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Even though it's FCS, this game could make or break attendance for the rest of the year. A nice clean game with discipline and solid effort will get people coming for more. A loss to Montana could completely botch future ticket sales.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

It really shows people are buying what Bohl is selling. If you had told me we were going to sell out Montana I would've called you crazy.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

Something I noticed with Montana's record last year, a lot of their games were high scoring shootouts, meaning their defense, despite being a highly ranked team, was extremely vulnerable. Not to mention they graduated their linebackers (who I think were the only solid unit last season?), meaning their defense should be vulnerable (should, does not mean it will though, FYI). Their offense though, put up a lot of points. I don't know how many offensive weapons they return, so that could be an issue.