2014 Predictions

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

CowboyNV wrote:I'll bump this one since there's only one game left. My prediction was 3-9, so the Pokes have exceeded my expectations. I'm not saying I'm happy with this year's results, but I'm not surprised in the least. I don't see next year being a whole lot better either. Takes a while to dig out of the giant hole full of horse poop that DC buried us in.
How I see it too. Doesn't mean it doesn't hurt any less, but it is going to take Bohl and staff time to right the ship, so to speak. By year 3, we should be seeing things going in the right direction.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I'm going to toot my own horn as I said 3-9 and only a miracle finish in the FAU game is going to make me miss that prediction.

I honestly have seen no improvement from last year. I fear we are headed for Joe Glenn part deux. Although as the years go by, I seem to care less and less. It's always the same old refrain of "wait till he gets his guys in here". In 3 or 4 years this board will be wondering who the next coach will be. I'm now convinced this is an unwinnable situation. I don't believe any coach will get better than average talent to come to Laramie. At least not enough of it.

CSU lost their entire offensive line last year. They didn't miss a beat. They can recruit and we can't. They have big receivers who can run. We have small receivers who can't outrun linebackers.

You think any student athlete with multiple offers is going to look at the empty stands with the snow flying and the home team getting the poop kicked out of it and say "I think I'll come to UW"? Nope. Laramie has become a coaching graveyard the way CSU used to be. Frankly, they've just about lost me. I'll go to some BB games and the MWC tourney but sitting in the stands freezing my ass off watching horrendous football is history.

Call me a fair weather fan or poop fan or whatever. But Burman and the entire collection of morons who caused the collapse of Wyoming Athletics are going realize that lack of results have consequences.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Well, in that case, better just close the university. Why would anyone ever attend the University of Wyoming?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:Well, in that case, better just close the university. Why would anyone ever attend the University of Wyoming?
Basketball.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

bladerunnr wrote:I'm going to toot my own horn as I said 3-9 and only a miracle finish in the FAU game is going to make me miss that prediction.

I honestly have seen no improvement from last year. I fear we are headed for Joe Glenn part deux. Although as the years go by, I seem to care less and less. It's always the same old refrain of "wait till he gets his guys in here". In 3 or 4 years this board will be wondering who the next coach will be. I'm now convinced this is an unwinnable situation. I don't believe any coach will get better than average talent to come to Laramie. At least not enough of it.

CSU lost their entire offensive line last year. They didn't miss a beat. They can recruit and we can't. They have big receivers who can run. We have small receivers who can't outrun linebackers.

You think any student athlete with multiple offers is going to look at the empty stands with the snow flying and the home team getting the poop kicked out of it and say "I think I'll come to UW"? Nope. Laramie has become a coaching graveyard the way CSU used to be. Frankly, they've just about lost me. I'll go to some BB games and the MWC tourney but sitting in the stands freezing my ass off watching horrendous football is history.

Call me a fair weather fan or poop fan or whatever. But Burman and the entire collection of morons who caused the collapse of Wyoming Athletics are going realize that lack of results have consequences.
You are a fair weather fan!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

McPeachy wrote:Interesting predictions...nobody is really 8 & 4 ing it...and expectations are not surprisingly low.

My dime...and I hope I am so damn wrong:

Aug. 30 - Montana L
Sept. 6 - Air Force W (there may not be a poop team on our schedule)
Sept. 13 - @Oregon L
Sept. 20 - Florida Atlantic W (FAU will be sucking wind and lose a close one in the 4th quarter)
Sept. 27 - @Michigan State L
Oct. 4 - Bye
Oct. 11 - @Hawaii L
Oct. 18 - San Jose State W (No Fales, no win this year, homecoming, etc.)
Oct. 25 - @Colorado State L
Nov. 1 - @Fresno State L
Nov. 7 - Utah State L
Nov. 15 - Bye
Nov. 22 - Boise State L
Nov. 29 - @New Mexico W

4 & 8 - and the only reason is NM blows their load on 11/29 and we hold nothing back and go balls out for the win. Otherwise 3 & 9.

OOC schedule takes its toll on the Pokes, who even with a bye week on 10/4, cannot recover and are gassed without the depth the rest of the year.
Close - but a whiff on the Montana Loss, SJSU Win, and Fresno Loss predictions.

I think the record holds though. :puke:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:Well, in that case, better just close the university. Why would anyone ever attend the University of Wyoming?
The new gateway center - duh. After all, the gateway center is the "front porch" to UW - not the football team.

TIC

:whistle:
Dear Karma,

J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:Aug. 30 - Montana W 31-14 - Struggles with FCS opponents does not carry over into Bohl era.
Sept. 6 - Air Force W 31-23 - IMO, Falcons will continue to get worse.
Sept. 13 - @Oregon L 13-52 - No two ways about it, this one is likely to get ugly.
Sept. 20 - Florida Atlantic W 28-10 - Don't know much about FAU to be honest.
Sept. 27 - @Michigan State L 7-42 - This schedule is ruthless.
Oct. 4 - Bye
Oct. 11 - @Hawaii L 24-34 - Trap game, UH finishes what it couldn't last fall.
Oct. 18 - San Jose State W 28-27 - Not pretty, but I think they'll grind this one out.
Oct. 25 - @Colorado State L 18-24 - Not a 30-point blowout, but Rams win again.
Nov. 1 - @Fresno State L 14-41 - Pokes historically don't do well in California.
Nov. 7 - Utah State L 7-34 - I'm told Chuckie Keeton is the second coming of Christ himself.
Nov. 15 - Bye
Nov. 22 - Boise State L 21-34 - Broncos lost their head coach, but inherited a better overall staff.
Nov. 29 - @New Mexico W 30-26 - Another classic Bohl grinder.
Not horrible I guess. Just missed on the SJSU game. Way off on CSU and Boise. Miles and miles off on Fresno.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

J-Rod wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Aug. 30 - Montana W 31-14 - Struggles with FCS opponents does not carry over into Bohl era.
Sept. 6 - Air Force W 31-23 - IMO, Falcons will continue to get worse.
Sept. 13 - @Oregon L 13-52 - No two ways about it, this one is likely to get ugly.
Sept. 20 - Florida Atlantic W 28-10 - Don't know much about FAU to be honest.
Sept. 27 - @Michigan State L 7-42 - This schedule is ruthless.
Oct. 4 - Bye
Oct. 11 - @Hawaii L 24-34 - Trap game, UH finishes what it couldn't last fall.
Oct. 18 - San Jose State W 28-27 - Not pretty, but I think they'll grind this one out.
Oct. 25 - @Colorado State L 18-24 - Not a 30-point blowout, but Rams win again.
Nov. 1 - @Fresno State L 14-41 - Pokes historically don't do well in California.
Nov. 7 - Utah State L 7-34 - I'm told Chuckie Keeton is the second coming of Christ himself.
Nov. 15 - Bye
Nov. 22 - Boise State L 21-34 - Broncos lost their head coach, but inherited a better overall staff.
Nov. 29 - @New Mexico W 30-26 - Another classic Bohl grinder.
Not horrible I guess. Just missed on the SJSU game. Way off on CSU and Boise. Miles and miles off on Fresno.
I was wondering where you got the part about not doing well in Cali, as the last 2 times we played at SDSU, we beat them.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

We will get better next year but only marginally. Most of Bohls recruits will b ea red-shirt.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Slow Hand wrote:We will get better next year but only marginally. Most of Bohls recruits will b ea red-shirt.
I have been thinking about this for a while now...

I think offensively, we are much better - how much, it depends, but to the point it could be significant. Better QB, great RB stable, better line play, WR's a wash.

I think defensively, we are very similar if not worse. Basically, the last few games we saw our defense for next year, minus #43, #1, #95, and #42...oh, and #20 (who sucks anyway). The rest of the seniors (4 starters) were injured or quit during the season.

You know what that means? :shock:
Dear Karma,

joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote:Aug. 30 - Montana
Sept. 6 - Air Force

Sept. 13 - @Oregon
Sept. 20 - Florida Atlantic
Sept. 27 - @Michigan State
Oct. 4 - Bye
Oct. 11 - @Hawaii
Oct. 18 - San Jose State
Oct. 25 - @Colorado State
Nov. 1 - @Fresno State
Nov. 7 - Utah State
Nov. 15 - Bye
Nov. 22 - Boise State
Nov. 29 - @New Mexico

Only missed on three games so far, and only a game off of my overall prediction.
As of today, I've got 6-6. Admittedly, my knowledge of the MWC is limited so I'm going a lot of guesswork and the preseason poll.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:We will get better next year but only marginally. Most of Bohls recruits will b ea red-shirt.

I think offensively, we are much better - how much, it depends, but to the point it could be significant. Better QB, great RB stable, better line play, WR's a wash.

I think defensively, we are very similar if not worse. Basically, the last few games we saw our defense for next year, minus #43, #1, #95, and #42...oh, and #20 (who sucks anyway). The rest of the seniors (4 starters) were injured or quit during the season.

Just curious how you can substantiate us being better on offense? I have not looked but the point production can't even be close can it? We scored more points and were on the field less last year than this year. How does that equate to us being better. The only thing I can see we did different is hold on to the ball longer which kept our defense off the field. I would argue that we are worse offensively and worse defensively. Hell I thought the point differential would even be closer than it has been this year. But if you stack point scored against points scored against us I would almost be wiling to bet it is worse this year than last. If that is the case then there goes the argument for time of possession!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Slow Hand wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

Just curious how you can substantiate us being better on offense? I have not looked but the point production can't even be close can it? We scored more points and were on the field less last year than this year. How does that equate to us being better. The only thing I can see we did different is hold on to the ball longer which kept our defense off the field. I would argue that we are worse offensively and worse defensively. Hell I thought the point differential would even be closer than it has been this year. But if you stack point scored against points scored against us I would almost be wiling to bet it is worse this year than last. If that is the case then there goes the argument for time of possession!
Okay...
Against any team that had some semblance of a defense last year, we would be lucky to score one time, if that. This year, aside from the USU game, we scored at least 14 points in every game. And with our 1st and 2nd string QBs leaving, and Kirk not being a dual threat, meant that Kirk was not able to compensate for bad protection like Brett Smith could. We also had a considerably harder OOC schedule and a Mountain division that is on the rise to contend with this year.

But of course with you, if Bohl doesn't fix things in year 1, he must be terrible, because that's what you are implying with all of these posts.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote: I was wondering where you got the part about not doing well in Cali, as the last 2 times we played at SDSU, we beat them.
It was the first time Wyoming had won at Fresno, but yeah I was way wrong. Seems like the only games most fans were way off on were Fresno and Boise. Definitely did not see the biggest beat down in modern UW history occurring on Saturday, and few saw that historic night in Fresno coming either.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Slow Hand wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

Huh? :?

I thought my dialogue (clearly) was about this year vs. next year - and production. I will stand by my statement that our offense will be better next year, than it is this year. And also, as such, that our defense will be worse next year, than this year - essentially.
Dear Karma,

Slow Hand
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

Okay...
Against any team that had some semblance of a defense last year, we would be lucky to score one time, if that. This year, aside from the USU game, we scored at least 14 points in every game. And with our 1st and 2nd string QBs leaving, and Kirk not being a dual threat, meant that Kirk was not able to compensate for bad protection like Brett Smith could. We also had a considerably harder OOC schedule and a Mountain division that is on the rise to contend with this year.

But of course with you, if Bohl doesn't fix things in year 1, he must be terrible, because that's what you are implying with all of these posts.
Lost seven games in 4 of those we scored more than 21 points each game.......Your logic is lost. You are trying to paint me as a guy that wants Bohl gone. that is not true I respect the guy I think he has a great vision my only point is we could have saved time by using the assets we already had in place and those were for a spread.

BTW here is a link to last year scores just so you don't think I am making stuff up. Only three of the games did we have a poor offensive output.
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-13/mtn- ... hedule.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Slow Hand wrote:You are trying to paint me as a guy that wants Bohl gone. that is not true I respect the guy I think he has a great vision my only point is we could have saved time by using the assets we already had in place and those were for a spread.
When you're building a house, it's foolish to save time by cutting corners during the foundation-laying process. You may get the house built faster, but the foundation won't last as long as if you took the proper time to make sure it was done correctly.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:You are trying to paint me as a guy that wants Bohl gone. that is not true I respect the guy I think he has a great vision my only point is we could have saved time by using the assets we already had in place and those were for a spread.
When you're building a house, it's foolish to save time by cutting corners during the foundation-laying process. You may get the house built faster, but the foundation won't last as long as if you took the proper time to make sure it was done correctly.

I hear you...but on the same hand does it make sense to build a new house every 5 years? When Bohl retires it isn't going to matter what he builds unless we hire another coach that believes in his system. If not we get to build another house and look five more years into the future. It only makes sense to use what you have or you will "get there" once or twice every 8-10 years. Look at our history, why haven't we been successful after Roach left? It is because we keep building new houses!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Slow Hand wrote:I hear you...but on the same hand does it make sense to build a new house every 5 years? When Bohl retires it isn't going to matter what he builds unless we hire another coach that believes in his system.
The spread wasn't successful here, why stick with it? Just because that's what the coach you just fired ran?

Bohl was hired because he was successful running his system. Why expect him to run someone else's system? Yeah we might have five wins at this point instead of four, but it also compromises the development and the transition to Bohl's system.