2014 Predictions

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Let's just put it this way, all of us are conservative with our predictions because this team is apples to oranges different. We don't fully know what to expect as of yet. But I do recall that in DCs first year no one knew what to expect and predicted us at 1-11 and 3-9 in all the magazines... We went 7-6 and won a bowl.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

kansasCowboy wrote:Let's just put it this way, all of us are conservative with our predictions because this team is apples to oranges different. We don't fully know what to expect as of yet. But I do recall that in DCs first year no one knew what to expect and predicted us at 1-11 and 3-9 in all the magazines... We went 7-6 and won a bowl.
Yep, and this should be the weakest MWC ever, literally. Toss up year to say the least.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
StarValleyPoke
Buckaroo

Aug. 30 - Montana - W (31-14) - The run game and the defensive line give us a cushion in the second half
Sept. 6 - Air Force - W (38-10) - This is the game people start climbing on the Bohl-Weevil bandwagon
Sept. 13 - @Oregon - L (42-7) - Hoping for a better showing than my prediction.
Sept. 20 - Florida Atlantic - W (24-21) - FAU is better than people think. We hold on for a 3-1 start.
Sept. 27 - @Michigan State - L (35-14) - A better showing.
Oct. 4 - Bye
Oct. 11 - @Hawaii - W (45-10) - Hawaii's defense is awful
Oct. 18 - San Jose State - W ( 28-24) - This is the key game in the schedule in my opinion. I think we pull it out at home.
Oct. 25 - @Colorado State - W (31-17) - Yeah, because I'm gonna pick csu? We take back the Boot!
Nov. 1 - @Fresno State - L (38-21) - Our defense still has some holes that speed on the road exploits.
Nov. 7 - Utah State - L (28-21) - Chuckie (if healthy) leads a game-winning drive.
Nov. 15 - Bye
Nov. 22 - Boise State - L (31-21) - We don't win this one yet.
Nov. 29 - @New Mexico - W ( 34-14) - The Lobos are a year away from bowl eligibility.

(7-5) (4-3) - A bowl win takes this from a good season to a very memorable one.
Any Cowboys reading, please feel free to go 12-0.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Yep, and this should be the weakest MWC ever, literally. Toss up year to say the least.
With the Power 5 creating havoc, I wonder if it will ever get stronger? This might be considered the golden era..
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
hithere
Ranch Hand

VisorHair wrote:
Why not?
Well, here are my reasons.
  • - Going from a spread to West Coast power run system is going to take more than one offseason.
    - Haven't come within a touchdown of Boise State in ten years and haven't scored more than 17 ever.
    - Last years Wyo defense overall was ranked 111th; rush defense 108th giving up 216 yards per game. EDIT: I forgot scoring defense at 109th giving up 37 points a game!
    - Although some think that the defense will be much better this year (I don't), one still can't argue lack of depth. By Nov. 22nd, I'm not optimistic. The one thing that's going in Wyoming's favor besides being in Laramie and coming off of a bye is this game is sandwiched between SDSU and Utah St. for Boise.
    - Steve Stanard. I have no faith in his ability to mold, teach, inspire and produce any semblance of a decent defense at the 1A level. I think he's terrible and will be the albatross of this team while he's employed at UW.
So you think one thing, and I think another. We'll see.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I've read on the NDSU boards that they weren't terribly fond of Vigen either. He and Stanard have Tormey potential if things go wrong. I can think of a coordinator or two that we turned on fast lol.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

J-Rod wrote:I've read on the NDSU boards that they weren't terribly fond of Vigen either. He and Stanard have Tormey potential if things go wrong. I can think of a coordinator or two that we turned on fast lol.
Like Cockhill?
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Hayduke wrote: With the Power 5 creating havoc, I wonder if it will ever get stronger? This might be considered the golden era..
I'm not sure either. It really depends on the long-term outcome of the restructuring of CFB. If the P5 want to keep us around, then thing will be okay. WYO should be able to afford subsidies, so our position in purgatory should be relatively stable.

What worries me is that they replay the same scenario as when TV rights change. The Ivy League schools were some of the best in CFB, but chose not to chase the TV dollars. The P5 can let things go as is for half a decade or so and greatly expand the already insurmountable differences between us. Then, turn around and act like the good guys and say, "we need one unified CFB; we need all of you to have equal say. The cost for having equal say, is ___. If you can't afford ____, then I'm afraid we must separate."

In other words, exactly the same path that killed Ivy League football.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

hithere wrote: - Going from a spread to West Coast power run system is going to take more than one offseason.
- Haven't come within a touchdown of Boise State in ten years and haven't scored more than 17 ever.
- Last years Wyo defense overall was ranked 111th; rush defense 108th giving up 216 yards per game. EDIT: I forgot scoring defense at 109th giving up 37 points a game!
- Although some think that the defense will be much better this year (I don't), one still can't argue lack of depth. By Nov. 22nd, I'm not optimistic. The one thing that's going in Wyoming's favor besides being in Laramie and coming off of a bye is this game is sandwiched between SDSU and Utah St. for Boise.
- Steve Stanard. I have no faith in his ability to mold, teach, inspire and produce any semblance of a decent defense at the 1A level. I think he's terrible and will be the albatross of this team while he's employed at UW.[/list]

I don't think you are wrong at all if we were playing in the MWC of old or even a few years ago. Our competition just isn't that good which I think gives us a chance despite our glaring efficiencies.

Your last line is definitely correct and I think it might be one of the hardest years to predict MWC outcome. When TCU and Utah were firing on all cylinders, I think the AF teams of 2008-2009 (finished 4th) or even SDSU/AF in 2010 would wipe the floor with this entire field of teams. That isn't even commenting on TCU or Utah during those years.

I omit byu to prevent any throw up in my mouth.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

First off, NDSU guys are pissing on about Vigen...because he left. Of course they won't say anything good any more. But, had they hired him, they would be singing his praises.

Anyhoo, this is a tough year to predict.

Aug. 30 - Montana - W (33-24)
Sept. 6 - Air Force - W (24-14)
Sept. 13 - @Oregon - L (49-14)
Sept. 20 - Florida Atlantic - W (31-28) FAU's QB is pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if we lose this one.
Sept. 27 - @Michigan State - L (42-10)
Oct. 4 - Bye
Oct. 11 - @Hawaii - W (28-24) - Dang rainbows always compete on the island
Oct. 18 - San Jose State - W (31-24)
Oct. 25 - @Colorado State - L (32-20) This one pains me
Nov. 1 - @Fresno State - L (31-17)
Nov. 7 - Utah State - L (38-20)
Nov. 15 - Bye
Nov. 22 - Boise State - L (35-17)
Nov. 29 - @New Mexico - W (35-18)

Best case is 6-6. Which I will take.

October is shaping up to make or break the season. If we sweep Oct games, I think we are making a trip to NM for a bowl game.

Our offense will not score a lot of points. I think for us expecting to see Brett Smith vs (Insert Other Team Here) shootouts, we are going to be disappointed. Bohl will try and control the clock and use elevation to our advantage. Poor Ethan Wood didn't even have time to tie his show we were running off 3 downs and having to punt so quickly last year. I think that offense works for some teams, but I just don't think it is in UW's DNA to run that kind of offense.

As the resident non-drinker of the bunch, IF UW goes 7-5 or better, I will buy a ceremonial beverage for those who actually predicted them to do so before my post here. (Sorry, I will have some hack come in and predict 7-5 for the wrong reason if I don't throw that out there).

Bottom's up.... :puke:
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
hithere wrote: - Going from a spread to West Coast power run system is going to take more than one offseason.
- Steve Stanard. I have no faith in his ability to mold, teach, inspire and produce any semblance of a decent defense at the 1A level. I think he's terrible and will be the albatross of this team while he's employed at UW.[/list]

I don't think you are wrong at all if we were playing in the MWC of old or even a few years ago. Our competition just isn't that good which I think gives us a chance despite our glaring efficiencies.

Your last line is definitely correct and I think it might be one of the hardest years to predict MWC outcome. When TCU and Utah were firing on all cylinders, I think the AF teams of 2008-2009 (finished 4th) or even SDSU/AF in 2010 would wipe the floor with this entire field of teams. That isn't even commenting on TCU or Utah during those years.

I omit byu to prevent any throw up in my mouth.
My one optimistic thing about Stanard is that Bohl knows defense pretty well. He can make adjustments if he needs to. DC didn't know his @#$ when it came to defense. No adjustments, nothing. I don't think Bohl will be like that.

At least I hope not..
wyopig
Ranch Hand

Why does everyone think that CSU and Fresno are going to be world beaters? How in the hell can any Wyoming fan worth their salt pick us to lose to CSU? It's not like they're the goddamn Alabama Crimson Tide!

Both Fresno and CSU lost a ton of important players. Bibbs was a complete game changer for CSU. Once McElwain finally let him carry the ball against us, CSU became a better than mediocre team and eventually beat a PAC12 school that nearly lost to an FCS team in week 1. Remember, before McElwain realized that Bibbs was maybe the best running back in the country, CSU got completely destroyed by the worst team in the PAC12. Embarrassed. Now Bibbs isn't there to bail them out. Richburg isn't there anymore to block for Grayson either.

Fresno started about 22 seniors last year, so they're not going to be a powerhouse either.

I don't know how any of this relates to Wyoming's season. I'm not necessarily predicting a win in Fresno, but I don't think we'll get blown out. Utah State is the class of the league, and nobody else is close. Not even Boise. I think that it'll have to be a pretty tough year for Wyoming not to go to a bowl game. Our toughest conference games are at home. Either way, I expect Bohl's team to beat someone we're not supposed to beat.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Aug. 30 - Montana - WIN - won't be easy, but we're home and have better players.
Sept. 6 - Air Force - WIN - same as above
Sept. 13 - @Oregon - LOSS -Although I'd love to see an upset over Oregon or Michigan State or any ranked team, I don't see it happening this year. Bohl will do it over time, but he's too new and these opponents too tough for a first year upset
Sept. 20 - Florida Atlantic - TOSS UP - A re-match of the CDC pissing a kidney stone game, where we saw the prelude to Howdy Dowdy Gate, when he freaked out on the FAU coaches. The FAU program is on an upswing and I wish we had these sunny sea-level guys later in the year. But I will go with a WIN, due to home field advantage
Sept. 27 - @Michigan State - LOSS - as above.
Oct. 4 - Bye
Oct. 11 - @Hawaii - WIN - With all the traveling leading up to the game, I'd be more worried if we didn't have the bye week before this. The extra week heals wounds and rests the boys.
Oct. 18 - San Jose State - WIN - This could be a toss up as we don't kill them on our talent, nor do they on ours. but it's home and we'll control the clock.
Oct. 25 - @Colorado State - WIN - We take this rivalry game more seriously than they do (one of the very few things CDC did right), and if Bohl continues to do so, it gives us the edge.
Nov. 1 - @Fresno State - LOSS - A big enough gap in quality that they should be able to beat us.
Nov. 7 - Utah State - WIN - Not exactly a guaranteed win, but with many "big" games on their schedule I am hoping they've penciled us in as a win, plus I'm hoping they'll be a bit fatigued coming off a short week after a Hawaii trip and we catch them at home.
Nov. 15 - Bye
Nov. 22 - Boise State - LOSS -We still don't have the horses to keep up with Boise right now and the program will need more time to mature to overcome a shortage of talent. But these will be exactly the type games we can win under Bohl that have been out of our reach of late.
Nov. 29 - @New Mexico - WIN - NM still not a good team. Better, probably, but still not good enough.

So there you go, we cruise into a bowl game... Of course this all hinges on the players continuing to buy-in to the new system, after they get their asses handed to them in Oregon and Michigan (and hopefully not vs FAU), zero to few injuries (we're not deep enough yet) and Colby playing steady at QB. With so many returners and a REAL head coach, all they need do is come together a little and we improve over last season.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

cowboyz wrote:Aug. 30 - Montana - WIN - won't be easy, but we're home and have better players.
Sept. 6 - Air Force - WIN - same as above
Sept. 13 - @Oregon - LOSS -Although I'd love to see an upset over Oregon or Michigan State or any ranked team, I don't see it happening this year. Bohl will do it over time, but he's too new and these opponents too tough for a first year upset
Sept. 20 - Florida Atlantic - TOSS UP - A re-match of the CDC pissing a kidney stone game, where we saw the prelude to Howdy Dowdy Gate, when he freaked out on the FAU coaches. The FAU program is on an upswing and I wish we had these sunny sea-level guys later in the year. But I will go with a WIN, due to home field advantage
Sept. 27 - @Michigan State - LOSS - as above.
Oct. 4 - Bye
Oct. 11 - @Hawaii - WIN - With all the traveling leading up to the game, I'd be more worried if we didn't have the bye week before this. The extra week heals wounds and rests the boys.
Oct. 18 - San Jose State - WIN - This could be a toss up as we don't kill them on our talent, nor do they on ours. but it's home and we'll control the clock.
Oct. 25 - @Colorado State - WIN - We take this rivalry game more seriously than they do (one of the very few things CDC did right), and if Bohl continues to do so, it gives us the edge.
Nov. 1 - @Fresno State - LOSS - A big enough gap in quality that they should be able to beat us.
Nov. 7 - Utah State - WIN - Not exactly a guaranteed win, but with many "big" games on their schedule I am hoping they've penciled us in as a win, plus I'm hoping they'll be a bit fatigued coming off a short week after a Hawaii trip and we catch them at home.
Nov. 15 - Bye
Nov. 22 - Boise State - LOSS -We still don't have the horses to keep up with Boise right now and the program will need more time to mature to overcome a shortage of talent. But these will be exactly the type games we can win under Bohl that have been out of our reach of late.
Nov. 29 - @New Mexico - WIN - NM still not a good team. Better, probably, but still not good enough.

So there you go, we cruise into a bowl game... Of course this all hinges on the players continuing to buy-in to the new system, after they get their asses handed to them in Oregon and Michigan (and hopefully not vs FAU), zero to few injuries (we're not deep enough yet) and Colby playing steady at QB. With so many returners and a REAL head coach, all they need do is come together a little and we improve over last season.

That's my extremely optimistic prediction btw.
And normally my optimistic predictions are WAY out there and wrong.
But I like it.
That is winning the games we should, losing the games we should, and winning EVERY toss up game.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
LKGates
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

wyopig wrote:Why does everyone think that CSU and Fresno are going to be world beaters? How in the hell can any Wyoming fan worth their salt pick us to lose to CSU? It's not like they're the goddamn Alabama Crimson Tide!

Both Fresno and CSU lost a ton of important players. Bibbs was a complete game changer for CSU. Once McElwain finally let him carry the ball against us, CSU became a better than mediocre team and eventually beat a PAC12 school that nearly lost to an FCS team in week 1. Remember, before McElwain realized that Bibbs was maybe the best running back in the country, CSU got completely destroyed by the worst team in the PAC12. Embarrassed. Now Bibbs isn't there to bail them out. Richburg isn't there anymore to block for Grayson either.

Fresno started about 22 seniors last year, so they're not going to be a powerhouse either.

I don't know how any of this relates to Wyoming's season. I'm not necessarily predicting a win in Fresno, but I don't think we'll get blown out. Utah State is the class of the league, and nobody else is close. Not even Boise. I think that it'll have to be a pretty tough year for Wyoming not to go to a bowl game. Our toughest conference games are at home. Either way, I expect Bohl's team to beat someone we're not supposed to beat.
From your lips to God's ear! I don't think I would claim right now that my Aggies are the best in the conference, but I hope you're right. Until we actually beat Boise on that damn blue rug, we're still second best.

Go Pokes! Go AGGIES!
WYOBISONMAN
Ranch Hand

Aug. 30 - Montana L
Sept. 6 - Air Force W
Sept. 13 - @Oregon L
Sept. 20 - Florida Atlantic W
Sept. 27 - @Michigan State L
Oct. 4 - Bye
Oct. 11 - @Hawaii W
Oct. 18 - San Jose State L
Oct. 25 - @Colorado State W
Nov. 1 - @Fresno State L
Nov. 7 - Utah State W
Nov. 15 - Bye
Nov. 22 - Boise State L
Nov. 29 - @New Mexico W

I think Bohl will have this team playing much better than a lot of you think. I do think the Pokes will be hurting in the QB area. By the end of the season I actually could see Bohl having this team toughened up towards the end of the season and I actually think that Boise could be a Win and not a loss. I think a record of 6-6 is the most likely, but I do think a winning season is quite possible with a Win against Boise making it 7-6 for year one under Bohl. And there also could be a Bowl win for Bohl as well.

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

As I've said above, there isn't one team in the MWC this year that is without fairly big question marks. Even BSU and USU have them (new head coach, new offensive line, etc.). Everyone and I mean everyone has big question marks--not just us.

Secondly, I would like to run down a few scores...
14-17
14-14
7-24
23-14
10-14
7-28
0-21

Those were our halftime scores of our losses last year. We were totally outclassed in 3 games. The rest is when the wheels fell off in the second half. IMO, I think that is an indication that our talent isn't terrible, but coaching, condition, or depth was. Our Defense in almost all of our games was sufficient through the first half. I don't think the cupboard is bare.

Finally, our O-line was trashed lots and lots. I know the spread is supposed to neutralize speed, but I'm not sure that is the case if your linemen don't have speed. It takes quick footwork and quick thinking to get the correct angles. Maybe our line won't be as bad in the pro-style O. I know I've banged the drum about how bad our O-line has been even through Glenn, but reflecting back, some of Glenn's teams would be top 3-4 in the current MWC.

I'm usually among the least optimistic, but I think we surprise this year if Bohl and company are as advertised.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

Montana: W 24-14 Altitude and depth too much for the Griz
AFA: W 27-10 AFA is bad and won't be getting better for a while
@Oregon: L 10-42 Too much speed for the Pokes
FAU: W 21-17 Nail biter going into the 4th, Pokes get a late TD to win it
@MSU: L 34-10 MSU D too tough to break through, O dominates us, rough showing
@Hawai'i: W 31-24 OT Pokes stop them in first OT, score on our first play to end it
San Jose State: W 24-14 Homecoming weekend provides the spark for the Pokes to roll, SJSU gets a td in garbage time
@CSU: W 17-14 rivalry game, Boot is ours!
@FSU: L 17-35 Pokes blow one on the road
USU: L 14-28 USU too talented with Keeton, we all wonder what Smith v. Keeton battle could've been
BSU: L 7-21 BSU still too much for the Pokes
@UNM: W 21-7 Defense clicks and shuts down the Lobos option attack

Overly optimistic 7-5, looking through Brown and Gold glasses prediction here. For this season, I'll be happy to see us bring some toughness to the field and actually tackle and start to push people around. We'll probably win at least one game we shouldn't, and lose many more we should win. Regardless, we're headed in the right direction.

GO POKES!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

wyopig wrote:Why does everyone think that CSU and Fresno are going to be world beaters? How in the hell can any Wyoming fan worth their salt pick us to lose to CSU? It's not like they're the goddamn Alabama Crimson Tide!

This exactly I don't get it either...
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

Aug. 30 - Montana-W 24-14
Sept. 6 - Air Force-W 28-7
Sept. 13 - @Oregon-L 48-7
Sept. 20 - Florida Atlantic-W 21-17
Sept. 27 - @Michigan State-L 42-7
Oct. 4 - Bye
Oct. 11 - @Hawaii-W 21-10
Oct. 18 - San Jose State-W 21-17
Oct. 25 - @Colorado State-W 24-21