2014 Predictions

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Uh, 3-9. Another FCS coach who is making a big leap up in competition. I'm a skeptic. Here's the problem as I see it: We are by far the smallest school in the league in the smallest town in the league. That's a recruiting obstacle that cannot be overcome. For every recruit that might appreciate a small school and small community, there are probably 10 who won't even consider coming to Laramie.

The very fact we have to start a qb who probably wouldn't see the field on any other team in the league tells you all you need to know.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote:Uh, 3-9. Another FCS coach who is making a big leap up in competition. I'm a skeptic. Here's the problem as I see it: We are by far the smallest school in the league in the smallest town in the league. That's a recruiting obstacle that cannot be overcome. For every recruit that might appreciate a small school and small community, there are probably 10 who won't even consider coming to Laramie.

The very fact we have to start a qb who probably wouldn't see the field on any other team in the league tells you all you need to know.
lol gotta love it. I agree BTW for the most part....just funny how we have a wide variety of expectations. Anything from 3-9 to 8-4. Not many programs have such wide-ranging expectations.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:Not many programs have such wide-ranging expectations.
False J-Rod.

This is what's great about college football.

Fans of many different schools in the country are having the same conversation we are.

Especially slightly better than average teams in BCS schools.
Say a BCS team went 7-6 or 8-5 last season, and so did 4 other teams in their conference, the optimistic fans think they can win those toss up games and end up 10-2 and the pessimistic fans think that they will lose those toss up games and end up 4-8.

If college football was predictable, we wouldn't watch it.
We never know what's going to happen.

Hell, one season we were starting a freshman QB from Oregon who was too skinny after our established star QB left, and we came one win away from the MWC Championship.
The following season Mr. Smith was pegged by many as the MWC POY and we went 4-8.

Another example? Auburn went 3-9 then came one play away from winning the National Championship the next season.

More? Oregon State a couple years ago lost to an FCS team, then the following season, beat the Big10 power Wisconsin and was ranked 7th at one point in the BCS. The next season? Started ranked in the Top 25 and lose to another FCS school. 2nd in 3 years.

That's the beauty of college football. It changes so freakin much.
You don't get a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady to boost your program. Even if you do, it's probably only for 2 or 3 seasons, 4 if you're lucky.

Sure, the Bamas and LSU's have big time coaches leading their programs, but that does not make them unbeatable. You can still go from losing to Utah to beating Tim Tebow and winning the National Championship all in a 12 month period.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
HighPlainsDrifter
Buckaroo

bladerunnr wrote:Uh, 3-9. Another FCS coach who is making a big leap up in competition. I'm a skeptic. Here's the problem as I see it: We are by far the smallest school in the league in the smallest town in the league. That's a recruiting obstacle that cannot be overcome. For every recruit that might appreciate a small school and small community, there are probably 10 who won't even consider coming to Laramie.

The old Wyoming inferiority complex making yet another appearance. How have we ever gone to bowl games in the past?

Recruits will go where they think they can win, and where they believe in the coaches. You may want to check out Larry Shyatt's commits this year. He kind of blows your theory out of the water.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

Aug. 30 - Montana -- Sell out crowd and the Pokes don't disappoint. WYO 24 - UM 10
Sept. 6 - Air Force -- AFA had a lot of injuries last year, but no excuses this year. WYO 21 - AFA 7
Sept. 13 - @Oregon -- Brutal game...Brutal venue... UO 30 - UW 10
Sept. 20 - Florida Atlantic -- Revenge game! WYO 24 - FAU 3
Sept. 27 - @Michigan State -- Pokes have confidence but not the horses... MSU 27 - WYO 17
Oct. 4 - Bye -- POKES 3-2 going into the BYE
Oct. 11 - @Hawaii -- Island or not...Rainbows have already given up on Chow. WYO 21 - UH 7
Oct. 18 - San Jose State -- Defense wins the day! WYO 20 - SJSU 10
Oct. 25 - @Colorado State -- Sheep get shocked...Pokes are gelling...Welcome Home Boot!! WYO 24 - CSU 17
Nov. 1 - @Fresno State -- Bulldogs still just a hair too much...no 4th down stand in this one. FSU 24 - WYO10
Nov. 7 - Utah State -- If Chucky is still around, Pokes lose. USU 31 - WYO 21
Nov. 15 - Bye -- 6-4...Bowl eligible and the team has come together under Coach Bohl!!
Nov. 22 - Boise State -- It has to happen sometime? Why not this year?... Wyo 17 - BSU 10
Nov. 29 - @New Mexico -- Probably going to let down after finally beating the Donks.... UNM 21 - WYO 17

I see 7-5 and a bowl game with Coach Bohl. If Glenn and DC could do it, should be a walk in the park for CCB!!!

Either that...or the Widmer's or Sierra Nevada's have taken control.....
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

HighPlainsDrifter wrote:

The old Wyoming inferiority complex making yet another appearance. How have we ever gone to bowl games in the past?

Recruits will go where they think they can win, and where they believe in the coaches. You may want to check out Larry Shyatt's commits this year. He kind of blows your theory out of the water.
First of all, we've been to 2 New Mexico bowls in the last 20 years. Hardly anything to hang your hat on. Laramie has not grown very much at all compared to other schools and towns in the region. We used to be roughly the same size as CSU. Now, they have 35k students. Wyoming used to be thought of as a coaching springboard. For the last 20 years, it's been a coaching graveyard.

I believe winning is a small part of the puzzle. Athletes pick schools on a variety of factors; number of hot females, things to do, weather, exposure to tv, and many other things I'm not even aware of.

I don't necessarily believe basketball is subject to the same factors. There are plenty of small schools that compete. But even there, tell me how many winning conference BB seasons we've had in the last 10 years. I believe the answer is 0. Don't tell me about recruiting. I've heard the same crap over and over again about how so and so will dominate or do this and that and then he gets here. And he does virtually nothing. It's fine to be optimistic. Hell, it's what keeps us going. But the rational side of me just doesn't see it. At least not now.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Bladrunnr don't forget the Vegas Bowl in 04.

But yes, I agree with you about our athletic situation.
Cornpoke has said things like "thank god bohl doesn't bring you kn recruiting trips or else no one would come to laramie" when in reality I look at who we are trying to compare ourselves to and looking at what we have to offer.

If people take away all your allegiance to Wyo and Laramie, why would we want to go to Wyo over CU or CSU?
I love Wyoming, UW, and Laramie, and if you don't believe me go kick rocks and eat sand, but a lot of Wyo fans just see Laramie as this college town meca where most athletes see it as a small town in the most empty state in the country.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Larawie
Ranch Hand

Don't know how we got from Predictions to Decisions, but here goes. Seems to me if a kid is decidin' on a school only because of its size and location, he hasn't given it much thought. Nor have his parents and others who should offer advice if they're truly educators and coaches interested in their students.

After my son's senior HS season (he played in the state's highest classification, in a major metropolitan area and was All Conference 3 x), his Mom, HC, academic advisor, he and I sat down and discussed all the options and opportunities. Walk-on at FBS, partial $$ at FCS or full ride at small D-II in a small town? Opted for the D-II cuz he wanted to get away, try somethin' new and different, knew he'd play, get an education and was realistic in his chances of becomin' a professional athlete. Not sayin' it works out for every kid, but in our case it did. jmo
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

BeaverPoke wrote:Bladrunnr don't forget the Vegas Bowl in 04.

But yes, I agree with you about our athletic situation.
Cornpoke has said things like "thank god bohl doesn't bring you kn recruiting trips or else no one would come to laramie" when in reality I look at who we are trying to compare ourselves to and looking at what we have to offer.

If people take away all your allegiance to Wyo and Laramie, why would we want to go to Wyo over CU or CSU?
I love Wyoming, UW, and Laramie, and if you don't believe me go kick rocks and eat sand, but a lot of Wyo fans just see Laramie as this college town meca where most athletes see it as a small town in the most empty state in the country.
Just watch the opposing team's tweets when they fly or bus into Laramie if you need proof.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Larawie wrote:Don't know how we got from Predictions to Decisions, but here goes. Seems to me if a kid is decidin' on a school only because of its size and location, he hasn't given it much thought. Nor have his parents and others who should offer advice if they're truly educators and coaches interested in their students.

After my son's senior HS season (he played in the state's highest classification, in a major metropolitan area and was All Conference 3 x), his Mom, HC, academic advisor, he and I sat down and discussed all the options and opportunities. Walk-on at FBS, partial $$ at FCS or full ride at small D-II in a small town? Opted for the D-II cuz he wanted to get away, try somethin' new and different, knew he'd play, get an education and was realistic in his chances of becomin' a professional athlete. Not sayin' it works out for every kid, but in our case it did. jmo

Kudos to your kid, and kudos to you for raising a kid who has his priorities correct.

But to assume most kids with multiple D1 offers think that way is incorrect.

This isn't the 60's where Wyoming has the swag that appeals to 18 year olds.
We are a small town. Our administration and AD have no balls and no vision. We as a fan base are fine with being small potatoes.

We love our Pokes yes, but the New Mexico fans love their Lobos, CSU fans love their Sheep, CU fans love their Buffs.

Every school sells how much the fans love them to recruits. We aren't special in that, and the fact that everyone else does it too, means it isn't really an advantage.

Sure, we are the only show in the state, but then again, we have a half million in our state. SDSU has more support in their city alone than we have in our entire state.

18 year old kids with multiple FBS offers take advantage of what they can and realize that a college degree at this school versus that school won't be what leads them to a successful life. They want to be part of some sort of legacy, or tradition, or at least be part of what is trending right then.

OR...kids that want to go to a legit football program are not coming here because like pointed out, we are 2-1 in Bowl Games in the last, 20 years?

We can sell what we have, and sell what we truly believe we are building with Bohl and Shyatt, but let's not act like all kids have their priorities straight, and if they did UW is the school for them.
Larawie
Ranch Hand

BeaverPoke wrote:
Larawie wrote:Don't know how we got from Predictions to Decisions, but here goes. Seems to me if a kid is decidin' on a school only because of its size and location, he hasn't given it much thought. Nor have his parents and others who should offer advice if they're truly educators and coaches interested in their students.

Kudos to your kid, and kudos to you for raising a kid who has his priorities correct.

But to assume most kids with multiple D1 offers think that way is incorrect.

This isn't the 60's where Wyoming has the swag that appeals to 18 year olds.
We are a small town. Our administration and AD have no balls and no vision. We as a fan base are fine with being small potatoes.

We love our Pokes yes, but the New Mexico fans love their Lobos, CSU fans love their Sheep, CU fans love their Buffs.

Every school sells how much the fans love them to recruits. We aren't special in that, and the fact that everyone else does it too, means it isn't really an advantage.

Sure, we are the only show in the state, but then again, we have a half million in our state. SDSU has more support in their city alone than we have in our entire state.

18 year old kids with multiple FBS offers take advantage of what they can and realize that a college degree at this school versus that school won't be what leads them to a successful life. They want to be part of some sort of legacy, or tradition, or at least be part of what is trending right then.

OR...kids that want to go to a legit football program are not coming here because like pointed out, we are 2-1 in Bowl Games in the last, 20 years?

We can sell what we have, and sell what we truly believe we are building with Bohl and Shyatt, but let's not act like all kids have their priorities straight, and if they did UW is the school for them.
I'm not assumin' anythin'. What I'm sayin' is that parents need to sit down with their kids and discuss reality. Both see that D-I flag flyin' and expect to also see $$ attached. Bein' part of a legacy is short-sighted versus havin' the opportunity to play, get an education AND become a responsible member of society. Agree my kid is an aberration, but trust that in the position he's been placed, he's educatin' his students and the athletes he coaches on what to expect if, or when, their playin' days are over. Basically, parents need to be more responsible and inter-active without bein' helicopters. Don't want my kid livin' in the basement while majorin' in how to super-size.
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

Neither of you guys are giving enough credit to the recruiters (ie. Coach Bohl, recruiting coordinator, and most important...the guys on the team!)

To give you some context...I am a full time coach at the collegiate level. Recruting is my life...I do it 97% of the time I am working. I coach 2% and I read Wyonation the other 1%. (ok...slight exagerations).

My point...I coach at a small D3 school. when I got here we were one of the worst teams in the region. I have since pulled 4 kids away from d1 scholarships to compete for me. We finished in the top 6 in the NCAA last year. I convinced them that education, time with the head coach, being a part of something larger than themselves, the opportunity to be a part of a family etc were all things they could have here. Could they have them at the d1 school? In theory yes...but I challenged them to really look closely at the program and look at the athletes that have gone before them. A lot of them had disappeared or weren't even on the team anymore. Most of them had gotten their schollys pulled. My point is....the recruiters are 97% of what gets a kid to come to the school. the town, and location are VERY VERY VERY small in the grand scheme of things. And once you get a few and have some success....doors get opened.

Here is a scenario for you....Billy is the top d-end in the entire region of a midwest state. Every single underclassmen Qb, running back and offensive linemen knows who he is and how amazing he is. he is getting calls from Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, but they aren't offering a scholarship yet. Wyoming has offered, but he is waiting to see what happens. This "wait and see" period is extremely important for the coaches to keep in touch (not too much) and make sure the recruit is getting the message that they are wanted. If Wyoming can land this kid (and believe me is less often than not that it happens) but if WYO can get this kid, then every single underclassmen player that knew of him and feared him on friday night now has a WYO seed planted. And then, when Bohl has another recruit in that area who do you think Bohl is going to have call him? Maddog? the trainers? nope....that ridiculously good defensive end that terrorized every hs qb the season before.

Long story...but my point is that recruiting is successful because of people.....and facilities. we have the facilities. Trust me....We are on par with Iowa...easily. And now with Bohl, we have a guy with great character and he wears his heart on his sleeve.

Some people say "well we thought that with Glenn too".

I can tell you right now...I am confident we have a man with good character leading this team, and the recruits will see that. We won't have to worry about seeing Coach Bohl flipping off a team for doing an onside kick or Howdy Doody-gate because he is a man that does things right.

The recruiting starts and ends with Coach Bohl and his staff. The town and location are small parts of it.

Boysee state was able to do it...if they can....we can.
Last edited by Dutchnation on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Talent evaluation and coaching FAR supersedes recruiting for schools in our position. In other words, a great evaluator of talent and a great set of coaches will get you much farther than a great recruiter.

A kid with a P5 offer will not come to WYO 95% of the time or more even if we somehow achieved BSU level success and it has nothing to do with Laramie or Wyoming; it is strictly the P5 vs. G5 designation (and all the benefits, perceived prestige, etc. that go with P5).

There is more than enough talent out there to be highly successful in CFB. Our recruiting "disadvantages" is nothing more than a cop out for a failing Athletic Administration.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Talent evaluation and coaching FAR supersedes recruiting for schools in our position. In other words, a great evaluator of talent and a great set of coaches will get you much farther than a great recruiter.

A kid with a P5 offer will not come to WYO 95% of the time or more even if we somehow achieved BSU level success and it has nothing to do with Laramie or Wyoming; it is strictly the P5 vs. G5 designation (and all the benefits, perceived prestige, etc. that go with P5).

There is more than enough talent out there to be highly successful in CFB. Our recruiting "disadvantages" is nothing more than a cop out for a failing Athletic Administration.

I agree with you. But I also see an opportunity. The benefits that come with being P5 are also available at Wyoming....part of the key is figuring out how we are different than CSewe and Fresno st. and sdsu. Bohl is DEAD ON!!! Recruit kids from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa. Especially Wisconsin. I used to live in Green Bay and when I told people I was from Wyoming their eyes lit up. They think highly of our great state because of the hunting, outdoor life. That's what those 320lb 6'5" guys like.

Is it a challenge? Absolutely. Impossible...heck no. a little success people...and they will start coming. Boise got to a point where they were thought of as equals with PAC 12 schools and even some SEC schools when talking prospective recruits.

so...this begs the questions....will we have access to the big games at the end of the season if we (G5) go undefeated? If we don't, then people will again question the current format. We have to the impossible. We have to win our non conference games at the beginning of the season against the P5. And we need to do it consistently....just like we did there for a short time with Utah, TCU, BSU etc...
Larawie
Ranch Hand

I find the last few posts on here very interestin' and intriguin'. So, rather than exclude anyone else, I'm gonna start a new thread called Decisions. Decisions. lets all go there to continue. This is provin' to be a good topic and the opinions posted are, I believe, worthy of a dedicated thread. Talk with ya soon.
HighPlainsDrifter
Buckaroo

Dutchnation - thank you. You have articulated it very well.

And just to clarify something - I agree there are some recruits who will be less than impressed by the small town of Laramie. But EVERY school has its plusses and minuses. If location was ALL that mattered, SDSU would consistently win the conference. But they don't. Why? Well, the community barely knows they exist, they play in an NFL stadium that is 70% empty, and they too have suffered from bad coaching (until Brady Hoke, anyway).

CSU may be bigger, but so what? If enrollment mattered, Notre Dame and TCU would never compete for anything, and we know this isn't the case. And UNLV would consistently challenge for the conference crown - again, clearly not the case. Oh, and we probably wouldn't be 4-1 against the Sheep over the last 5 years.

Wyoming is in a small town, yes, but we have above average facilities, solid academics, and a true college atmosphere. Thank goodness Coaches Bohl and Shyatt choose to focus on our strengths, rather than sitting around making excuses for the so-called recruiting obstacles that "can't be overcome."

I'm driving my daughter to Laramie next week to begin her freshman year. She could have gone to one of our local, in-state schools (UNLV or UNR) but wanted to experience a true college town with a strong sense of community amongst the students, and she also recognized that the quality of education would be much better than at one of the poorly funded Nevada schools. While not an athlete, she does represent an example of someone who appreciates what UW has to offer. And for anyone who has lived outside of Wyoming and doesn't always recognize the positives of what they have available, it is quite a bit.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

I had no intention of opening this can of worms all over again. So.....let me give my prediction - 3-9

Just because.

On a happier note, I think the mens and womens cross country teams will be very good this year.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote:I had no intention of opening this can of worms all over again. So.....let me give my prediction - 3-9

Just because.

On a happier note, I think the mens and womens cross country teams will be very good this year.

No intention too, yet you give your prediction again?
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I will go with 7-6 or 8-5. Thing are looking up in Laramie.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:I had no intention of opening this can of worms all over again. So.....let me give my prediction - 3-9

Just because.

No intention too, yet you give your prediction again?
I was being facetious. But a dullard like you wouldn't understand.