2014 Predictions

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I don't get all the doomsday stuff either. Like I said above, last year, there really weren't that many games that we were totally outclassed.

The MWC is flat terrible this year. Why does everyone think we will struggle replacing some positions while other MWC teams will seamlessly integrate new people into QB, entire O or D lines, etc.?

I don't get it and I'm usually among the pessimistic crowd. Like I said, this team against a MWC of even a few years ago, and I would agree with a 2 to 4 win prediction. Against this field? 4th through 10th is a crap shoot.

There are a few of Glenn's teams that would challenge for this year's MWC crown.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

Other than their QB, who does CSU return? They lost nearly their entire o-line, that back that no one can remember his name, and their star players on defense. I just don't get all the love for them. Bowl eligible? Possibly. A conference powerhouse? Not until they score points on USU and come within 3 TDs of BSU.[/quote]

^^^ lol....

I agree with this. I do think they have a good coach finally and that they will be decent, but a lot of question marks like the rest of us. I like the position we are in...because I am positive our kids are getting coached! and we have talent. Can't wait for game day against Montana. I also can't wait to see that sold out crowd. Go Pokes!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I don't get all the doomsday stuff either. Like I said above, last year, there really weren't that many games that we were totally outclassed.

The MWC is flat terrible this year. Why does everyone think we will struggle replacing some positions while other MWC teams will seamlessly integrate new people into QB, entire O or D lines, etc.?

I don't get it and I'm usually among the pessimistic crowd. Like I said, this team against a MWC of even a few years ago, and I would agree with a 2 to 4 win prediction. Against this field? 4th through 10th is a crap shoot.

There are a few of Glenn's teams that would challenge for this year's MWC crown.
I think if Brett Smith or Thompson was in Laramie, we would be fairly optimistic.

But we have Kirkgaard.

I hope he does well, and people have said why he will do well, but we have a totally unproven 5th year guy at QB, who has one start since he has been in the FBS, and it was a loss to an FCS team.

So yeah, we don't have a great QB playing which is what we have had for the last half decade.
That is why we are doom and gloom.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:I don't get all the doomsday stuff either. Like I said above, last year, there really weren't that many games that we were totally outclassed.

I think if Brett Smith or Thompson was in Laramie, we would be fairly optimistic.

But we have Kirkgaard.

I hope he does well, and people have said why he will do well, but we have a totally unproven 5th year guy at QB, who has one start since he has been in the FBS, and it was a loss to an FCS team.

So yeah, we don't have a great QB playing which is what we have had for the last half decade.
That is why we are doom and gloom.
This was going to be my response as well. If you have a good quarterback, chances are expectations and preseason hype will be higher.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: There are a few of Glenn's teams that would challenge for this year's MWC crown.
This.

I think Glenn's best team was the 06 team. That one had a legit defense (Glenn's later teams had decent defensive numbers but were blown away by any team with half a testicle.) That 06 team was literally about 4 plays away from a 9-3 or 10-2 record. They were only outclassed that year @BYU and @TCU.

But I agree that if we were talking the MWC from 4-5years ago, 3 wins is very likely. 3 wins may still be very likely, but in this MWC I think theres not much separating the 3rd best team from the 9th best team.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: This was going to be my response as well. If you have a good quarterback, chances are expectations and preseason hype will be higher.
I'm with Calpoke on this. USU is replacing an entire O line. It might be a seamless transition, but you don't know.

I think there are at least 2 or 3 teams on the schedule that are replacing their QB as well. Other teams are replacing O lines (CSU for example) and other units. IMO, entire units are not easily replaced at the G5 level--especially successful units.

Our O line isn't great but it might be better just by changing schemes. Our running backs and receivers are good. Our D should be adequate for most MWC games. We may very well end up losing all our games or win 6-8 games. I guess what I'm getting at is that this year, more than any in recent memory, is an absolute toss-up.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 141 times

When we're all doom and gloom, we tend to surprise. When we're optimistic, we disappoint. Mixed bag in here, so I'm not sure what to make. Most are fairly negative and with weak MWC, I'm saying 6-6.
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

What team were you watching last year? We lost 4 conference games by 28 points or more. We had back to back weeks vs. fresno and Boise where we were outscored 96 - 17. We lost to a terrible texas st. team by 21 points.

We lost Smith AND we lost Herron, our only deep threat. We only won 3 conference games last year and 2 were really close. If Bohl is as good as people say, then maybe this year will be different. But if DC were still here with this team, I can't see why anyone would be optimistic.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: What team were you watching last year? We lost 4 conference games by 28 points or more. We had back to back weeks vs. fresno and Boise where we were outscored 96 - 17. We lost to a terrible texas st. team by 21 points.

We lost Smith AND we lost Herron, our only deep threat. We only won 3 conference games last year and 2 were really close. If Bohl is as good as people say, then maybe this year will be different. But if DC were still here with this team, I can't see why anyone would be optimistic.
The team I watched last year was full of second half meltdowns sans a few games where we were out gunned immediately. We greatly lacked any sort of adjustment.

Our "prolific Offense" was only prolific against Ds that a Pop Warner team could be prolific against. Hell, EVERYONE lit up AF, Idaho, N. CO, NM, etc. I bet we only averaged somewhere around 20-25 points in our losses and that is because we scored 44 in one of those (again against a bad D).

In other words, I don't think the Offensive output will change drastically despite our loss. In fact, I think it will increase because the Ds of the competition should be softer. Some of the tougher Ds lost quite a few people.

Like I said, everyone else will suck, too. You get past the top few teams and there isn't a nickel's worth of difference between the rest of us also rans.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

bump......what I find interesting is the team has already won as many games as many of the vocal complainers have predicted.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 119 times

JimmyDimes wrote:bump......what I find interesting is the team has already won as many games as many of the vocal complainers have predicted.
Classic. Classic Bump. I see most posters in the thread having their expectations shattered. And then I see a few of us, that are going to be about spot on, 4 & 8 or 3 & 9.

Having "already" won - is more like looking at Montana, AFA, Hawaii, and FAU thinking we would get 3 of the 4.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

McPeachy wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:bump......what I find interesting is the team has already won as many games as many of the vocal complainers have predicted.
Classic. Classic Bump. I see most posters in the thread having their expectations shattered. And then I see a few of us, that are going to be about spot on, 4 & 8 or 3 & 9.

Having "already" won - is more like looking at Montana, AFA, Hawaii, and FAU thinking we would get 3 of the 4.
I actually thought we would lose to FAU and beat Hawaii but outside of that I'm still in line but much more worried about pulling off a big unexpected win as I think that was the FAU game.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Right on track for my expectation. Only game I'm a bit in doubt about now is this Saturday's.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 119 times

I say we take turns and keep bumping this, that way, we can't tell who the told-you-so board asshole is.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

djm19 wrote:
Aug. 30 - Montana - W (33-24)
Sept. 6 - Air Force - W (24-14)
Sept. 13 - @Oregon - L (49-14)
Sept. 20 - Florida Atlantic - W (31-28) FAU's QB is pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if we lose this one.
Sept. 27 - @Michigan State - L (42-10)
Oct. 4 - Bye
Oct. 11 - @Hawaii - W (28-24) - Dang rainbows always compete on the island
Oct. 18 - San Jose State - W (31-24)
Oct. 25 - @Colorado State - L (32-20) This one pains me
Nov. 1 - @Fresno State - L (31-17)
Nov. 7 - Utah State - L (38-20)
Nov. 15 - Bye
Nov. 22 - Boise State - L (35-17)
Nov. 29 - @New Mexico - W (35-18)

Best case is 6-6.

October is shaping up to make or break the season. If we sweep Oct games, I think we are making a trip to NM for a bowl game.

Our offense will not score a lot of points.
Interesting to see this months later. Nice bump.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:Aug. 30 - Montana - W - I hope
Sept. 6 - Air Force - W - this is Calhoun's last year IMO
Sept. 13 - @Oregon - L - this is where we will see if the D has truly improved in the offseason
Sept. 20 - Florida Atlantic - W - this could be close
Sept. 27 - @Michigan State - L - closer than Oregon but this will be a rough game, need to come out healthy
Oct. 4 - Bye
Oct. 11 - @Hawaii - W - as J-Rod said, Trap Game, but coming off a bye we'll see if Bohl can keep the guys focused
Oct. 18 - San Jose State - L - don't know why, just feel like this one might slip away from us
Oct. 25 - @Colorado State - L - the home stretch of the season could get ugly
Nov. 1 - @Fresno State - L
Nov. 7 - Utah State - L
Nov. 15 - Bye
Nov. 22 - Boise State - L
Nov. 29 - @New Mexico - W - end on a high note and get back to work for 2015

Finish: 5-7...actually not bad considering everything. We sneak out one against SJSU or CSU and we are .500
Wow, I was closer than I thought, only missed the Hawaii game so far, even called the SJSU game "slipping away".
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I was good up until the SJSU loss.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Wyo2dal wrote:Aug. 30 - Montana W
Sept. 6 - Air Force W
Sept. 13 - @Oregon L
Sept. 20 - Florida Atlantic L
Sept. 27 - @Michigan State L - We cover the spread it's a good showing from the defense.
Oct. 4 - Bye
Oct. 11 - @Hawaii W
Oct. 18 - San Jose State L - With a TOP in our favor and a power run their defense will be gassed by the 4th.
Oct. 25 - @Colorado State W
Nov. 1 - @Fresno State L
Nov. 7 - Utah State L
Nov. 15 - Bye
Nov. 22 - Boise State W
Nov. 29 - @New Mexico W

6-6 - Boise & SJSU are beatable in Laramie they will be the surprise wins that give us confidence that Bohl is the right man for the job.
Well Missed Flordia & Hawai'i, but I don't see us winning anything else except UNM. Maybe we could play an emotional game for the season ending injuries of our seniors but I don't see it.

I still think Bohl is the right man but now I'm convinced we won't see true change until the people that DC recruited are gone. Very few of the DC recruits have bought in and they are dropping like flies around us.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I think it is interesting that several of our current quarterbacks don't really run a spread offense. Wonder why DC recruited them
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

I'll bump this one since there's only one game left. My prediction was 3-9, so the Pokes have exceeded my expectations. I'm not saying I'm happy with this year's results, but I'm not surprised in the least. I don't see next year being a whole lot better either. Takes a while to dig out of the giant hole full of horse poop that DC buried us in.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.