Burman Extended

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

Although it is just a 1 year extension...I have to say...WTF!

Nice job McGinity - those TBD's / TBA's on the Athletics plan must have done if for you, huh? I mean, have you been paying attention the past 7-8 years? Unreal.

http://kowb1290.com/wyoming-ad-tom-burm ... extension/
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I feel the exact same way but he did get Bohl and maybe we need to give him at least 1-2 years to see if Bohl pans out and the Basketball team can make it to the NCAA and if not well hopefully something happens.

Still shocked they would extend him but can't change it.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

awaiting the sh*tstorm of replies!!!!!!!!!!!! :popcorn:
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Extended, but we still have ZERO MWC championships under his watch. Mediocrity pays well......
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

Or maybe he's on the verge of getting the $4M's from the gov.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Aside from one very obvious coaching hire debacle (mbb), Burman's hires have been solid. Even DC wasn't a bad choice given the information we had.

My critique of Burman rests entirely on his philosophy for athletic success is to catch lightning in a bottle with a coach. The vision and branding of UW athletics is sorely lacking. Innovation and advertisement are nonexistent.

Hoping a coaching hire fills the stands and wishing for money is not a vision.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Aside from one very obvious coaching hire debacle (mbb), Burman's hires have been solid. Even DC wasn't a bad choice given the information we had.

My critique of Burman rests entirely on his philosophy for athletic success is to catch lightning in a bottle with a coach. The vision and branding of UW athletics is sorely lacking. Innovation and advertisement are nonexistent.

Hoping a coaching hire fills the stands and wishing for money is not a vision.
Find an AD in the country who doesn't do this? EVERY coaching hire unless a 1%er like a Saban is hoping to cathc lighting in a bottle! The visions and branding has increased ten-fold since we switched back to brown and gold. Advertisement in the state of Wyoming is abysmal period - they are on par with every other school in the MWC in regards to ads. What do you want? Thank God he's worrying about the budget more than better newspaper and radio ads otherwise they'd be contemplating giving up football to cover deficits like Hawaii. Get real here people. If he gets the $4M from the gov - Wyo is in a diff ballgame.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
billings
Ranch Hand

Meh. Could get worse and could get better. OK but nothing special
hithere
Ranch Hand

VisorHair wrote:
Find an AD in the country who doesn't do this? EVERY coaching hire unless a 1%er like a Saban is hoping to cathc lighting in a bottle! The visions and branding has increased ten-fold since we switched back to brown and gold. Advertisement in the state of Wyoming is abysmal period - they are on par with every other school in the MWC in regards to ads. What do you want? Thank God he's worrying about the budget more than better newspaper and radio ads otherwise they'd be contemplating giving up football to cover deficits like Hawaii. Get real here people. If he gets the $4M from the gov - Wyo is in a diff ballgame.
Not being sarcastic here; how is Burman going to do this? That is, after being an AD for eight years now and with UW's track record with the Legislature for decades, what is Burman going to do now that will get four million dollars out of the legislature?

Or am I misreading? Will this four million come from somewhere else?

I don't know. I want to know.

Please and thank you.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Extra $$ was asked for already...piggy backed on the "we need to feed our athletes more" mantra, coupled with the recent NCAA legislation on athletic-stipend increases. The groundwork has been laid, and Burman (et al) has done a fine job of selling fear to the state, so far.
Dear Karma,

VisorHair
Ranch Hand

hithere wrote:
VisorHair wrote:
Not being sarcastic here; how is Burman going to do this? That is, after being an AD for eight years now and with UW's track record with the Legislature for decades, what is Burman going to do now that will get four million dollars out of the legislature?

Or am I misreading? Will this four million come from somewhere else?

I don't know. I want to know.

Please and thank you.
How have their conversations been and how has he asked? I have the slightest clue. I do know, that he secured the state matches for the AA, and like you said about the leg. being and has been reluctant to give athletics much past their comfort zone since day 1. That was a big step forward in itself, IMO. No way a new guy comes in and raises hell and brings in the necessary money from the leg. better than Tom. You and I both know how our state rolls, and having him in there helps that void. I would love to know the details on how the money would be rerouted and if it's coming from surplus or whatever. I could be completely wrong here, but I'm fairly certain, the leg. has given athletics more $ in his tenure than previous, bc of relationships and such. That's a BIG win, at any school.

hithere
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:Extra $$ was asked for already...piggy backed on the "we need to feed our athletes more" mantra, coupled with the recent NCAA legislation on athletic-stipend increases. The groundwork has been laid, and Burman (et al) has done a fine job of selling fear to the state, so far.
I'm aware of that.

I'm not aware of how one Tom Burman will be rainmaker and earn his contract extension and personally deliver four million dollars to UW athletics coffers? As opposed to a high functioning alcoholic, or some kind of trained circus animal, or some schlubby schmuck internet user like me?

Again, not sarcastically. I only know the man from media interviews and disastrous hires he's made. Is he also some kind of savant when it comes to political palm greasing?

Will he prove to be as dumb as a fox?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

hithere wrote:
McPeachy wrote:Extra $$ was asked for already...piggy backed on the "we need to feed our athletes more" mantra, coupled with the recent NCAA legislation on athletic-stipend increases. The groundwork has been laid, and Burman (et al) has done a fine job of selling fear to the state, so far.
I'm aware of that.

I'm not aware of how one Tom Burman will be rainmaker and earn his contract extension and personally deliver four million dollars to UW athletics coffers? As opposed to a high functioning alcoholic, or some kind of trained circus animal, or some schlubby schmuck internet user like me?

Again, not sarcastically. I only know the man from media interviews and disastrous hires he's made. Is he also some kind of savant when it comes to political palm greasing?

Wyoming (all of it), as far as Burman, has been extremely tolerant and forgiving. He has been allowed to piss down his leg, at the expense of the taxpayers and donors for 8 years now. He has been allowed to learn on the job, after making some mistakes that would cost anyone here their job. And he has been forgiven by most because he is "a Wyoming guy".
Dear Karma,

VisorHair
Ranch Hand

hithere wrote:
I'm aware of that.

That's completely fair, his main job is to hire a support staff to take care of student-athletes and to bring in $. His SA's are graduating, his coaches have had mediocre success and more $ has been brought in under his tenure than ever before. I'd be willing to bet the Pres told him his main focus was to bring in that money - until now, he hasn't failed.

hithere
Ranch Hand

VisorHair wrote: No way a new guy comes in and raises hell and brings in the necessary money from the leg. better than Tom. You and I both know how our state rolls, and having him in there helps that void.
I'm not sure that I'll ever agree with you on the above bolded points.

But on another note and yet again I have to preface that I'm not stating this sarcastically; I do appreciate your optimism. I hope UW gets millions more allotted to them because they absolutely deserve it. As do the fans.
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

hithere wrote:
VisorHair wrote: No way a new guy comes in and raises hell and brings in the necessary money from the leg. better than Tom. You and I both know how our state rolls, and having him in there helps that void.
I'm not sure that I'll ever agree with you on the above bolded points.

But on another note and yet again I have to preface that I'm not stating this sarcastically; I do appreciate your optimism. I hope UW gets millions more allotted to them because they absolutely deserve it. As do the fans.
I should have added "at this point and time". Down the road? Absolutely, someone else better come in and keep that place growing. But RIGHT NOW, not going to happen, IMO.

BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Quit saying we are okay with being mediocre.
We obviously aren't.
Mediocre would be about 1 MWC title every year in all sports combined.
We are literally the worst sports program in the MWC.
Zero titles since Burman. In all of the sports, zero.
That isn't even close to being mediocre.
Pretty sure Fresno, and USU both have multiple titles after a couple short years in.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

BeaverPoke wrote:Quit saying we are okay with being mediocre.
We obviously aren't.
Pretty sure Fresno, and USU both have multiple titles after a couple short years in.
Mediocre is finishing middle of the pack. We seem to do that quite often and hand out rewards/raises/extensions for such accomplishments. But yes I would agree that we are at the bottom of the MWC for competitive programs. Us and San Jose.
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

We obviously aren't.
This a million time.

We are competitive in a few sports every once in a while. As a whole, UW athletics is a hot mess. We're the Cleveland of the MW.
52-56
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

jessejames02 wrote:
We obviously aren't.
This a million time.

We are competitive in a few sports every once in a while. As a whole, UW athletics is a hot mess. We're the Cleveland of the MW.
Only difference is Larry Nance Jr. > LeBron
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.