Reality check for MWC this weekend

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Our projected top 3 teams all play P5 teams and are P5 teams that shouldn't be the top of their conference. However, I think both Ole Miss and TN have been quietly building some talent. USC has some speed and talent--just not what they once were. FSU isn't what they were last year.

I'm afraid BSU, USU, and FSU all get smacked pretty hard this weekend. I hope I'm wrong and the MWC strength isn't as bad as I think it is.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Utah State isn't getting smacked around by a poor Tenn team. I heard the same thing in 2008 and Wyo beat the Vols.

Boise State never gets smacked around. I could be wrong, but until proven otherwise...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

BSU, Utah, and BYU all put 30+ on USU last year. You can point to the USC game, but that team was bipolar. Using the USC game, you could argue Washington State had a great defense. USU defense was good against bad offenses. They lose a lot of depth and a lot in their secondary. They lose almost their entire O-line. Tennessee has had a few great recruiting classes the past few years and Butch Jones knows how to develop talent.

Ole Miss is a legit T25 if not T15 team with lots of talent. This game could get away from BSU.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

djm19 wrote:Utah State isn't getting smacked around by a poor Tenn team. I heard the same thing in 2008 and Wyo beat the Vols.

Boise State never gets smacked around. I could be wrong, but until proven otherwise...
Broncos got smacked around three time last year (Washington, BYU, Oregon State). OSU sorta doesn't count, because BSU had only 3-4 staff members or something like that. I think Ole Miss wins comfortably, but not to a Washington over Boise 2013 extent (38-6).
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

I would expect Utah State to beat Tennessee. They took USC to the wire last year, should have won.
ImageImageImageImage
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote:I would expect Utah State to beat Tennessee. They took USC to the wire last year, should have won.
I think USU will put up a fight, but don't think they have what it takes. Need to show their new oline is up to the task.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 47 times

There is a good chance that the only MWC team to beat another FBS team on opening weekend will be New Mexico. How strange is that?

Keeton is too good of player to let things get really ugly against Tennessee. I expect that game to be close, but Tennessee's depth will prove the difference and they should come out on top.

Ole Miss is a good football team, but I don't think they are great. Boise State has enough talent to keep the game respectable, but Ole Miss should win that game.

Fresno State is my pick for biggest disappointment in the MWC this season. USC may not be what they once were, but I fully expect them to smack Fresno State around pretty good. If there's going to be a blow-out in one of these three games, USC over Fresno State is my pick.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

How would Fresno State be a disappointment? Unless you're one of those fools thinking there won't be any drop off with them losing their 3 best players in forever, they'll have significant drop off in terms of wins and production.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Ugly game but glad to be wrong. Hope BSU can pull this out.

10 min edit...maybe this is going to get out of hand. 4 int. Wow.
LKGates
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

The Vegas line on the USU-UT game has dropped from UT -6.5 to UT -4.5, and -4.0 on some off-shore sites. USU may lose, but don't expect a blow-out. Vegas doesn't.

Go Pokes! Go AGGIES!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

"Snap back to reality. Oh there goes gravity...."

Like I said, USU is gonna get rolled. I lost a c note on the Rebs but went back and loaded up on the surest bet of the season. Putting $1400 in the bank.

MWC is nothing short of pathetic this year. We have a chance to challenge simply because of the regression of the entire conference.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

Agreed, the MWC is wide open after this opening weekend. BSU, USU, and Fresno all looked pretty bad. USU's lack of an O-line or any weapons for Keeton to throw to, Boise's lack of a QB, and Fresno's complete rebuild open the door for anyone to win it all.

GO POKES!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

LKGates wrote:The Vegas line on the USU-UT game has dropped from UT -6.5 to UT -4.5, and -4.0 on some off-shore sites. USU may lose, but don't expect a blow-out. Vegas doesn't.

Go Pokes! Go AGGIES!
I'll give you a break LKGates...I've seen your posts on USUFans...slightly optimistic, but nowhere near the major homerism I see from others. Expectations got reset big time.

I'll hold on any smack. Wyoming's turn to get obliterated will come with Oregon/Michigan State.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

What if CU has actually improved and CSU in turn is a solid team?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote:What if CU has actually improved and CSU in turn is a solid team?
Nope. Boise will rupture Ram optimism Saturday night.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Csu had the best win of the conference.
mwc blows.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.