NDSU-Iowa State

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 2 times

joshvanklomp wrote:Time to bring back up the NDSU to MWC talk? :D
No. Look for some MACtion.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

djm19 wrote:Proof that you need talented players- not just coach. I think we are years away from being good.

Theyes lost Bohl, but replaced with good coach and still have some great players.
They have players who have been in the system longer. Our players have been in the system one year...and beat a pretty decent Montana club. Who knows, maybe Montana could have taken it to Iowa State too.

I'm okay with the win. We could have won by more, but in the end a win is a win.

ps. This thread is f-word stupid.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 86 times

djm19 wrote:Proof that you need talented players- not just coach. I think we are years away from being good.

Theyes lost Bohl, but replaced with good coach and still have some great players.
NDSU is a solid program. Who built that program? Craig Bohl. I think we are 2-3 years from being a solid team...and hope we replace the concept of a solid team with being a solid PROGRAM soon enough after. Our fixation with winning this game or in a particular season has to be replaced with an understanding that we are now engaged in a process to build a program. Bohl is a Nebraska boy from the coaching tree of Devaney and Osborne...he sees a much larger picture than most.

Sure, NDSU lost Bohl and has not missed a beat...but that is the way HE designed it. If you look at a construction site, the foundation is usually fairly ugly and not very interesting. But when the structure is built, it holds that pretty stuff up and secures the place when the torrents come. I love that NDSU is still winning and can count me as a huge fan...because I see the Bison today as the Cowboys of tomorrow. Their continued success after Bohl left tells me even more about our coach and how glad I am to have him at my alma mater.
jaxcowboy93
Buckaroo

LawPoke wrote:
NDSU is a solid program. Who built that program? Craig Bohl. I think we are 2-3 years from being a solid team...and hope we replace the concept of a solid team with being a solid PROGRAM soon enough after. Our fixation with winning this game or in a particular season has to be replaced with an understanding that we are now engaged in a process to build a program. Bohl is a Nebraska boy from the coaching tree of Devaney and Osborne...he sees a much larger picture than most.

Sure, NDSU lost Bohl and has not missed a beat...but that is the way HE designed it. If you look at a construction site, the foundation is usually fairly ugly and not very interesting. But when the structure is built, it holds that pretty stuff up and secures the place when the torrents come. I love that NDSU is still winning and can count me as a huge fan...because I see the Bison today as the Cowboys of tomorrow. Their continued success after Bohl left tells me even more about our coach and how glad I am to have him at my alma mater.
I agree with this 100%. Look at the past 5 years of recruits brought into NDSU. They aren't bringing in a large number of 3 & 4 star recruits. They get the same level of HS player that we do. Bohl built a program that has the ability to continue on at a high level without him. That says volumes about the trust and conviction he has in what he is doing.

When the current group of players learn to trust him, this program will mirror what we see from NDSU. We will be the team knocking off the P5 teams. I loved what I saw yesterday. For the first time in years I saw a leader on our sideline!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

jaxcowboy93 wrote:
LawPoke wrote:

I agree with this 100%. Look at the past 5 years of recruits brought into NDSU. They aren't bringing in a large number of 3 & 4 star recruits. They get the same level of HS player that we do. Bohl built a program that has the ability to continue on at a high level without him. That says volumes about the trust and conviction he has in what he is doing.

When the current group of players learn to trust him, this program will mirror what we see from NDSU. We will be the team knocking off the P5 teams. I loved what I saw yesterday. For the first time in years I saw a leader on our sideline!
Count me in on this too!
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WYOBISONMAN
Ranch Hand

I gotta admit.... The margin of victory surprised me. I thought we could win... Not blow them out. Bohl can do the same in Laramie, he just needs time and a couple recruiting seasons more.

djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I will have a better feel once I see us play more games. I cannot sit here and say beating Montana was a "good win." A win, yes. But a five point win over an FCS school isn't reason enough for me to start shooting off fireworks and getting all excited.

I like what out future holds, but we are years away from being a "good" team.

"Always next year...." screw that. I am tired of sucking hind tit.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

djm19 wrote:I will have a better feel once I see us play more games. I cannot sit here and say beating Montana was a "good win." A win, yes. But a five point win over an FCS school isn't reason enough for me to start shooting off fireworks and getting all excited.

Just to throw this out there, Montana is generally one of the better FCS schools (ranked #5 in the FCS ranks going into the game) and most likely better than several current FBS schools.

So, yeah. Montana is a FCS school, but they're a top of the line FCS school. If it had been a team like Nichols State (like who AFA played) and we struggled that much, yeah, I would be pretty worried. As it is, I'm still on the fence as to what to expect for the season.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:
djm19 wrote:I will have a better feel once I see us play more games. I cannot sit here and say beating Montana was a "good win." A win, yes. But a five point win over an FCS school isn't reason enough for me to start shooting off fireworks and getting all excited.

Just to throw this out there, Montana is generally one of the better FCS schools (ranked #5 in the FCS ranks going into the game) and most likely better than several current FBS schools.

So, yeah. Montana is a FCS school, but they're a top of the line FCS school. If it had been a team like Nichols State (like who AFA played) and we struggled that much, yeah, I would be pretty worried. As it is, I'm still on the fence as to what to expect for the season.
Agreed. Montana would beat a number of FBS teams and 3 to 4 of the teams in the MW. For me I loved seeing the defense look like they knew what they were doing AND we made half time adjustments. For me that is enough to say last weekend was a success. We certainly have to get better at the O Line and QB positions but I think the Coaches will have them prepared and ready to compete in every game this season. I bet we even win a couple we shouldn't.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

fromolwyoming wrote:

I would agree with that part. I just didn't see a whole lot that got me way excited. The defense was more promising for sure. Wick I expected to be good this year. QB has me so worried.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:

After the Sept 1st FCS ranking appeared, Montana held onto #5. Not sure if that says more about Montana or Wyoming?
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa