Halftime, running the clock and fullbacks

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 86 times

First, congratulations to the Cowboys and Coach Bohl. Amidst all of the second-guessing, most of us had this one penciled in as a "who the hell knows" and the boys come away with a W.

Second, I was just watching the CST interview with Coach Bohl and was incredibly pleased to hear his reference to "utlizing our halftime well." Last year, it was a comedy of errors after every half - and after the lightening delay during the Northern Colorado game...we damned near lost that game if you will recall. Granted, we were a bit sluggish after the second lightening delay, but went back to work and got the job done.

Third, I loved how we grabbed the ball with 5 minutes left in the fourth and functionally never let them have it back. Granted, we flubbed up the very end of the game (meaning our last offensive play), but we had them on their heels. We were grinding and it was fun to watch. It was also fun to watch our running backs carrying people for an extra 3-5 yards after significant contact and our defense really not allowing them to fall forward, which has been the case for far too long.

Fourth, I nearly cried when I saw a fullback in the backfield. Enough said.

Gents, we have a long way to go to get back on track, but we will get there. Like any recipe driven process, you have to get all of the ingredients in place. Kirk will be a work in progress. The oline will have its ups and downs. But we have the right head man...at least based on what I saw yesterday.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I too enjoy watching a FB light up a LB in the hole. Do we actually have any FB designed runs?
W-Y, Until I Die!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 86 times

I don't know. It would make some sense, though.

It was also good to see traditional tight end play and a true power formation. It was also fun to watch our receivers blocking and doing a fairly good job of it. I remember one play where a receiver seemed to push his man all the way to the goal line.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

LawPoke wrote: Third, I loved how we grabbed the ball with 5 minutes left in the fourth and functionally never let them have it back. Granted, we flubbed up the very end of the game (meaning our last offensive play), but we had them on their heels. We were grinding and it was fun to watch. It was also fun to watch our running backs carrying people for an extra 3-5 yards after significant contact and our defense really not allowing them to fall forward, which has been the case for far too long.
May had the pretty touchdown run in the 3rd quarter, but that was fun watching Wick and Hill join in with some very physical runs in the 4th.

Our defense had a few breakdowns during the game, but for the most part played fundamentally sound, hard-nosed football. It looked like our guys were shot out of a cannon on a couple of those blitzes.

This is just a start. Mistakes will be corrected.

It's Howdy Doody Time.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Watching Hill light up that DB at the very end of the game, I was soo cheering for him to get the last touch and score but Kirk didn't hand it off either time. Wanted to see the Freshman pound it in, No doubt he is going to score and he is going to carry some people with him.

Liked how Bohl utilized him with special teams as well.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:Watching Hill light up that DB at the very end of the game, I was soo cheering for him to get the last touch and score but Kirk didn't hand it off either time. Wanted to see the Freshman pound it in, No doubt he is going to score and he is going to carry some people with him.

Liked how Bohl utilized him with special teams as well.
I'm so glad Bohl didn't move Hill to safety like so many people here wanted him to.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Fullbacks are awesome!
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
BisonCardinal
Buckaroo

laxwyo wrote:I too enjoy watching a FB light up a LB in the hole. Do we actually have any FB designed runs?
I'm sure they have FB plays but rarely, rarely use them. I can only recall Grothmann (NDSU FB) carrying it one time in his 4 yrs.
Hayduke, don't be a tool,
Take your sad song and make it better.
Remember to let Bison into your heart,
Than you can start to make it better.