Air Force Line

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Pokes are a 1-point favorite to start.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Now moved to PK status.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Total toss up game. Hope the Pokes win.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

I really think the Pokes new system matches extremely well against them. Bohl and team will get the victory.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I think WYO takes this one in Laramie 25-13. The score like the Montana game seems closer than the game really is.
Jacobi Owens had 233 rushing last week, but seriously it was against a bad lower Division defense. Montana, like NDSU could almost be considered FBS with the talent and history they have. And our D Line and LBs just stuffed an RB, Canada, who is being looked at in the pros. WYO has always played well against the option. And I think our D put in more time in the weight room than AFAs O. I see our DLineand LBs having a heck of a game. I think similar to last year they may get one or two big gainers through the air, because we'll cheat up on the run. But I don't think it will matter when and if it does. I think Montana's D is actually stronger than AFAs and we will dismantle them in the run game. Passing, i look for simple progression with Kirk and our strong WRs. Less TOs, and about 150 yards passing.

I hope I'm right.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

It will be interesting to see how the new defense deals with the AF offense. I like our tackling and that is key to the option--corners have to tackle and make plays.

Progress from last week to this week is what I will be most interested in. During the DC era, there was no steady progression. I think the team at the beginning of the season would beat the team at the end of the season if they could play each other (if that makes sense).

I don't expect that this season. I'm excited to see what happens this weekend.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ltcpilot
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

Hi all....AF fan here. Hope to see a good game with no injuries. With that said, some thoughts and news links for the game.

First talk on AF vs Wyoming. I think it will be a very interesting game. AF did not show much in game one and Wyoming had to open up their playbook. I think Wyoming had the tougher first game so had to give more effort and desire than our Falcons. With that said....if Wyoming only looks at the past and only looks at the rushing stats from game #1 and think that AF will not pass more than 6 times then I think they will be in for a huge surprise. Comments above discussed the slow first quarter AF had well so did Wyoming. End of the first half for AF was 23-9 for Wyoming 6-3 so I think both teams had to adjust early for their first games.

GO FALCONS

check out all these news links that will not transfer here at http://ricksfalconreview.blogspot.com/
(scroll down the blog for the links...sorry, can't put all here).

RicksFalconReview: Air Force Rolls in football opener and basketball hires new coach
Jacobi Owens busts out for 233 yards in his debut as Air Force rolls
Ramsey: Jacobi Owens shakes gloom from Air Force football program
AFA sidebar and notes: Air Force safety Steelhammer cracks down on opponent from his home state
Sidebar notes (scroll down): Pearson takes time to get going
Owens, Air Force run over Nicholls in 44-16 win
Owens, Air Force run over Nicholls in 44-16 win
Air Force rushes past Nicholls, 44-16

Next up Wyoming and MWC/Others
Wyoming beats Montana 17-12 under new coach
WYOMING 17, MONTANA 12: What they said/Report card
Cowboys 17, Montana 12: How it happened
UW-Montana notebook: Nzeocha comes up big for UW
Gagliardi column: Winning through adversity key for Cowboys in opener
Montana falls to Wyoming 17-12
Craig Bohl plans to rebuild Wyoming football from the ground
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:It will be interesting to see how the new defense deals with the AF offense. I like our tackling and that is key to the option--corners have to tackle and make plays.

Progress from last week to this week is what I will be most interested in. During the DC era, there was no steady progression. I think the team at the beginning of the season would beat the team at the end of the season if they could play each other (if that makes sense).

I don't expect that this season. I'm excited to see what happens this weekend.
I think your note about the DC era is spot on, with one slight change: DC's teams did make a steady movement in their play and it was in the form of regression. While DC was coach, games reflected the season - start well, make no adjustments, guys would get hurt or make mistakes and the game would end in the crapper. If only every coach could have p'd off DC like Howdy Doody to focus his energy, things might have been different.

To me, getting better in a game, between games and throughout the course of a season is a DIRECT reflection on two things:

(1) coaching; and
(2) conditioning.

I think we have significantly upgraded both in a very short span of time. While I was always looking forward to the Montana game to gauge where we were generally, the AFA game has been the one that I was most anxious to see. If we make strides and improve on our line play, Kirk can shake the nerves and make some throws and we can get better on defense (particularly with the quick pass to the sideline and short to intermediate passing game and with turnovers) and grab a W, I think we may be enroute to a bowl. If we stagnate at a level similar to our go with Montana...count me as concerned.

Saturday cannot get here soon enough.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

LTC - what changes did you see in your defense? Good? Bad? Difficult to tell because it was Nicholls State?

Frankly, AFA generally scored enough to win games last year, but sputtered on defense (which is familiar to Poke fans too).
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Really liked Wyomings defense last week. Discipline like I haven't seen in years. Stopping the run has been the primary focal this year and with Stanard at DC I have noticed much improved gap responsibility. Even on the trick play WR pass, the defenders were there and if the safety would've laid a shoulder into the WR ( instead of missing ) the ball would've popped out. The tackle eligible TD was something that will be recognized next time ( hopefully ). Now playing against an AF offense where they love to cut block, will be a good test on how well our defense has progressed. I expect Yarbrough and Sonny to have big games.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

I think the wyo-AF game will have some scoring. The question is, will there be enough time to make it a shootout? Will be shortest game of the week
W-Y, Until I Die!
ltcpilot
Buckaroo

Big changes on defense in philosophy and play across the board. Add two new coaches, D-Line coach from texas and Coach Ron Vanderlinden from Penn State (known throughout college and the NFL as one of 'the top LB coaches' with multiple players he coached in the NFL). Coach Steve Russ (former NFL 4 seasons with Denver) took over as head defensive coach.

You won't see the 10-15 yd cushion off receivers before the snap. We are playing more 4 man front. We are blitzing. We had the most physical fall practices in the last 20 years according to grads coaching on the staff to include more live tackling drills, more open field tackling, more 'Oklahoma' drills. Overall more aggressive than seen by AF in the past. We are more physical than we have been in individual players.

And the biggest thing is our experience we bring contrasted with what happened last year as stated well here:

Air Force will enter this week’s opener with 10 returning starters who combined for 56 starts last season. And that’s just among guys on the second team. The projected starting lineup for Saturday’s game against Nicholls State includes another 15 players who have previously started. Another four players with starting experience didn’t even appear on the depth chart.

In short, the Falcons are coming off a 2-10 season that left them humbled and loaded with players who have seen game action. To build upon that, Air Force kept reps fairly even through fall camp, with each of the first teams running more than 800 snaps in 11-on-11 situations. “We did give a bunch of reps to our 3s this year, probably more than we have in the past,” coach Troy Calhoun said. “Because of that, I think we’ve developed better depth on our football team.”

Depth was a major issue last year, as the Falcons went through four starting quarterbacks and used eight starters at three defensive line positions.

Here's another article that summarizes the defense this season.....
Read more at http://gazette.com/mountain-west-notebo ... wQpUag8.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This give some good explanation: http://gazette.com/change-is-in-the-cus ... le/1536482
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

AF 6 throws in last game. That for sure won't happen against the Pokes! In fact I think the game plan against Wyo will emphasize the pass to take advantage of the Pokes' secondary - the weakest section of the defense. Of course a strong rushing line could counter this. We will see.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

How convenient, the DC rant is no longer on youtube.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

Vorel sums it up best

As for the Falcons' passing game? Well, senior quarterback Kyle Pearson attempted only six passes -- yes, six -- in the entire game, completing three of them for 19 microscopic yards.

Combine Kirkegaard and Pearson's Saturday production, and you get 111 passing yards, an interception and a lost fumble. That's a forgettable performance for one quarterback, let alone two.

What does this all mean? For one thing, Saturday night's game -- which will kick off at 8:15 p.m. and air on ESPNU -- will be ugly by design, comprised of two teams willing to stand in front of each other and keep punching until one of them hits the canvas.
ltcpilot
Buckaroo

As I said in my comments above, you needed to attempt to pass at times during your game with the tight score at half time, but we did not. Here's a Q&A with our offensive coordinator and some food for thought... here's the link with the quote of the article that I really liked....(so read 'between' the lines on this one'!)

Q: No balls were thrown to tight ends, will that be a rarity?

A: I just didn’t call them. We called six passes and I didn’t call them. We didn’t need them.

Read more at http://gazette.com/air-force-coordinato ... xSKozp5.99
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

djm19 wrote:How convenient, the DC rant is no longer on youtube.
May it never die...

http://deadspin.com/5954244/wyoming-foo ... ody-tirade
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ltcpilot
Buckaroo

Yeah.....that worked out really well for D.C.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
djm19
WyoNation Addict

It did actually. Went to a PAC12 school making damn good money.

Calhoun still doing his douchey thing.

And I don't care for DC either. I think Calhoun is a weasel.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

djm19 wrote:As for the Falcons' passing game? Well, senior quarterback Kyle Pearson attempted only six passes -- yes, six -- in the entire game, completing three of them for 19 microscopic yards.
Kale has 43 passing attempts total at Air Force, 4 of them were intercepted, 0 resulted in touchdowns. He's fairly slippery, though, and being only 5'9, he's probably difficult to find behind the o-line.