2000 Baltimore Ravens

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Won the Super Bowl. FANTASTIC defense and two great runners (at least that season). Pretty good run blocking. Terrible passing game. Dilfer averaged 136 yds a game, a little above 50% completions, 12 tds for the season and 11 ints.

Not saying we are the Baltimore Ravens or anything, but ugly can win. We also aren't in the NFL; we are playing in one of the weakest conferences in CFB.

I think our dream season will be "Raven-esque". Again, not saying we are like the Ravens; I'm just saying if we are successful this season, it will be very much the same strategy as the Ravens used that year.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

That Ravens defense I would rank as probably the best defensive group in the history of the game. I don't think our defense is that good.... comparatively in the MWC. But believe me I'll keep taking 3-7 point wins.

Our kicking game will be very important with this style of play as well. Stuart Williams looks to be solid.
I'm good for 3!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Cornpoke wrote:That Ravens defense I would rank as probably the best defensive group in the history of the game. I don't think our defense is that good.... comparatively in the MWC. But believe me I'll keep taking 3-7 point wins.

Our kicking game will be very important with this style of play as well. Stuart Williams looks to be solid.
Yeah, definitely don't disagree that, even comparatively, our D is nowhere on the scale that the Ravens' D was. Maybe it won't be good enough for a MWC crown, but will it be good enough to get us bowl eligible? I predict yes, but who knows.

Agree 100% about kicking and special teams. Very good point.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

We beat Montana (whom we have never lost against, even before the FBS/FCS split) and had what equates to a brand new and undersized o-line. Airforce too will have an undersized o-line, but they make it work very well for them.

Though a recurring theme in the MWC this season is struggling o-lines. And we're no exception. Our o-line should do better against Air Force's smaller linemen, who are not the same caliber as Montana's DE (thank goodness), and if we can keep running for 4-5 yards a carry (average), we shouldn't need to throw too much.

The only worry I have is that other than Kaligis, none of our staff have gone up against Air Force, and Kaligis was on the offensive side of the ball. This game really depends on how the staff preps the defense for the triple option.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:The only worry I have is that other than Kaligis, none of our staff have gone up against Air Force, and Kaligis was on the offensive side of the ball. This game really depends on how the staff preps the defense for the triple option.
Multiple teams run the triple option at the FCS level that Bohl and Stanard have faced, including Wofford and Georgia Southern.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Running the triple option is the a great way for teams to get the most out of undersized guys. I'm certain Coach Bohl and company have seen it and have their schemes for AFA.
jaxcowboy93
Buckaroo

I liked how disciplined the defense played against Montana. However, if our DB's don't break down and make an open field tackle, Air Force will hurt us around the corner.

I expect to see this improved upon over this week. It will be a time possession ball game with both teams trying to establish the run. With our D-Line I like our chances in that type of game. Turnovers and keeping the field turned in our favor will be the difference between a win and a loss.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I have a good feeling with how we dominated AFA with our D last year. And I think our disciplined play and massive gains in the weight room will pay dividends this year against AFA. I Think our D Line will easily stuff any dives up the middle w/out help from the LBs, giving them more freedom to roam from corner to corner. I was very impressed with Nzeocha, White, Harris and Burns and their ability to get to the ball on sweeps and options. I really feel comfortable with our D over their O. I still think they may burn us once or twice on pass plays, mainly due to us stuffing their normal run game. Last year we played a Bend but don't Break kind of D. We gave up yardage but not many points. This year, I think we just torment AFA. I don't believe AFAs QB is Any better than Awini was last year. I also don't think Owens will be getting anywhere near the yardage he did against a slower and less disciplined D like Nicholls St.
I also think our O Line will open some holes to allow for Wick and May to move the ball and always be at the point of breaking one. And even if they load the box on us, after watching Wick drag Montana defenders, I could see him doing that again against a smaller AFA D.
25-13 Pokes in front of 22,000! Go Pokes!!!
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

joshvanklomp wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:The only worry I have is that other than Kaligis, none of our staff have gone up against Air Force, and Kaligis was on the offensive side of the ball. This game really depends on how the staff preps the defense for the triple option.
Multiple teams run the triple option at the FCS level that Bohl and Stanard have faced, including Wofford and Georgia Southern.
Who?

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl