Olive Named Starter

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Did Chase get hurt? I saw nothing to warrant a benching. Maybe Uso was just that great on tape?
https://twitter.com/mikevorel/status/506500811271049216
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I think Olive just edged ahead of Appleby is all.
YankPoke
Cowpoke

Olive outplayed him against Montana. Not surprised to see this happen.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Fairly irrelevant since they'll both play significant time. Maybe bohl wanted to reward appleby for all his hard work even though olive is a clear starter. Chase is still most surprising player of the year and it is significant since we lack depth on DL
W-Y, Until I Die!
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Chase wasn't hurt. Talked with him after the game briefly while he signed my #57 camo jersey. He's still a bit under sized, but he did hold his own against Montana. Uso is still bigger and stronger. I'm sure they will both still get close to equal time on the field.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Could it be simply that we are playing an option team and perhaps this was planned before the Montana game? I believe it is better to have someone of Uso's size against Air Force to stuff the inside and to stuff the FB.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

He will still play a lot and i wouldn't say going down to second string is "benched"
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

From the sounds of things, it's only because Olive played so well that he's getting the starting nod over Appleby. But as has been pointed, they'll both play quite a bit.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I actually thought Chase did a great job for his first game. I didn't notice Uso in the game much, but the coaches probably saw better push and lane asignments. Or Maybe Uso just has more experience playing against the AF offense from last year. I remember him getting pissed off at all the leg cutting their line was doing on him. Really hate when O linemen cut a D lineman from the back and sides. Just wondering if our D line is required to wear knee braces? If not they definitely should in this game. Would hate to lose a player from their poop blocking chop blocks.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

mwc fan wrote:I actually thought Chase did a great job for his first game. I didn't notice Uso in the game much, but the coaches probably saw better push and lane asignments. Or Maybe Uso just has more experience playing against the AF offense from last year. I remember him getting pissed off at all the leg cutting their line was doing on him. Really hate when O linemen cut a D lineman from the back and sides. Just wondering if our D line is required to wear knee braces? If not they definitely should in this game. Would hate to lose a player from their poop blocking chop blocks.
Ill never understand why chop blocks are legal. Theres no better way to ruin a kids playing career than a poorly executed chop block. Shouldn't be in the game.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Those guys get away with murder. Keep those feet moving Uso
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Have the d-line learn a few things from the wrestling team, that'll help some.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

every time uso is in the game I watch him.

from what I saw... his strength is his strength. A bull in a pasture full of steers.

I never saw him take a step backwards. not one. once he gets his hands up on the pads of the o linemen, his power and leverage allow him to go where ever he wants.

we need uso's ability in this game to take away the fullback dive.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

My guess would be Appleby is simply undersized. That's ok against FCS and maybe some Mountain West teams, but Uso is simply bigger. The backups played a lot against Montana so it's not really a demotion anyway.