Some things we've learned about the team today.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

The o-line, for the most part, actually did pretty well. Kirk had over 240 yards passing, 2 TDs, and 127 yards rushing. Oregon's defense, while fast, survives on TOs more than anything. Their offense, yeah.
The team is not afraid or intimidated by anyone.
Kirk keeps getting sacked.
May and Wick are great! The receivers are solid.
Kirk still not a runner.
Offense looks better and better. Defense, not going to be too hard since Oregon did this to MSU, but the tackling really fell of after the 1st quarter.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Offensive line did great today. Other than the turnovers the offense as a whole did a good job. Got lots of yards moving the ball up and down the field.

I won't get down on the defense either as Oregon offense will score like that on most teams.

Against MWC competition our defense will be fine and I believe we can score on anyone in the MWC now. Think we will have a better record now for the year than I would have thought after the first two games.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

seattlecowboy wrote:Offensive line did great today. Other than the turnovers the offense as a whole did a good job. Got lots of yards moving the ball up and down the field.

I won't get down on the defense either as Oregon offense will score like that on most teams.

Against MWC competition our defense will be fine and I believe we can score on anyone in the MWC now. Think we will have a better record now for the year than I would have thought after the first two games.
Same here. Wasn't expecting such improvement. Though BSU's defense may pose some problems. Everyone else has shown to be pretty vulnerable.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:Offensive line did great today. Other than the turnovers the offense as a whole did a good job. Got lots of yards moving the ball up and down the field.

Same here. Wasn't expecting such improvement. Though BSU's defense may pose some problems. Everyone else has shown to be pretty vulnerable.
The blocking and overall fundamentals look great I can tell they are well coached now.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
PCB
Ranch Hand

Kudos to the OL! Wick and May are very, very good. Kirk played well overall with the exception of the TOs. Needs better awareness of his pocket. Receivers are solid. Defense....well it was Oregon. Think of the yards we put up against the Oregon D.
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

Bohl will demand more consistency from the QB spot - he would rather let close games play out into the 4th, than make decision making mistakes going after bigger plays that aren't actually there. Colby may get a slight pass form Bohl as a learning game, and due to the defensive speed of Oregon, but not much of one.
Last edited by yopaulie on Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

A play here, and a couple stops short of a very good game by the new look team.
May should be in on all KO's and select punt returns. Losing Hardy hurt a bit, but we tended to do decent on pass protection outside of safety blitz. Loved how we gashed them for some big runs. May is damn fast, left Oregon on occasion in the dust. We got absolutely no presure on either QB in the pocket, and that I feel really hurt us. I'm not bitching about Colby, he made some very good throws in this game. Our 3rd down conversion rate was vastly improved, and near perfect- outside of those picks and collapse in pocket..450 yards is not bad. So much for the thought AF is poop on D. That theory is blown up. Take care of biz next week and we are 3-1, coming into Lansing.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

We go pressure on their QB, they just scrambled for 30 when we did
W-Y, Until I Die!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I liked what I saw. Realistically, that was as good a performance as one could hope for. Injuries shouldn't be too bad.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Oline did great and the Pokes covered. $$$$$$$$$$$$$
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

I thought the offense did well except for the TOs (one of which was a tipped ball). I think depth (or lack of) on defense was a big factor today. Oregon's offense is designed to not let the opposing team sub players and that's their tactic for wearing the defense down - it worked too.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

seattlecowboy wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:Think we will have a better record now for the year than I would have thought after the first two games.
Same here. Wasn't expecting such improvement.
The blocking and overall fundamentals look great I can tell they are well coached now.
I really don't think we improved that much from Weeks 1 & 2 to 3. Your perception of it is simply higher because of the better opponent. The team has always been well-coached.

I think we've been solid all three games. Not perfect, but solid.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
gbpoke
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:Think we will have a better record now for the year than I would have thought after the first two games.
Same here. Wasn't expecting such improvement.
I really don't think we improved that much from Weeks 1 & 2 to 3. Your perception of it is simply higher because of the better opponent. The team has always been well-coached.

I think we've been solid all three games. Not perfect, but solid.
I don't understand how there hasn't been that much improvement from weeks 1 & 2 to this last game in your opinion. They had to improve from week 2 to week three going against a better opponent or they wouldn't have done what they did against Oregon. If they'd played on offense the way they did against Air Force they wouldn't have gained 150 yards of offense against Oregon. I'm not going to say anything about the defense, they played ok, because Oregon ran up a lot of yards and points against one of the best defenses in the country last week against MSU. Obviously they've improved, maybe not as much as what some of us think, but they've steadily improved from week 1 to week 2 and now to week 3. I expect them to continue to improve as the season goes forward, they have to because they were so aweful during the DC era.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

All three weeks our opponents D has given us complete different looks Montana hung out in a lot of pass coverage. Stopping our passing but opened up our running game. AFA flooded us with defenders in the box and blitzes all night long. So we hung them out to dry with our passing, and they slowed our running game. I think that may have confused Oregon a little, and they knew they would need to cover both or they could get beat from either the pass or run. And WYO did a good job of taking advantage of that, we just need to dry up the TOs. Take those three TOs away and we have a game, cause WYO was driving pretty much at will on the Oregon D.

I'm proud to be a Cowboy today, even after a loss. I think our boys went into a lions den and played very well. Especially to stop them at the goal line and then drive 98 yards for a TD! That was amazing. Eventually we'll be able to keep up and even win these games.

I think WYO will be ready to put this behind them and get after the Owls back in Laramie. I hope we can maintain over 20k. These guys deserve the support.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

i really liked what i saw 1st hand, and i wasn't embarrased by that kinda loss, Mariotta is the real deal, and their speed killed us, but take away those costly turnovers, i saw this a good football game all around and NO injuries, as a matter of fact we saw lots of Ducks going off the field as a matter of fact. Fun day in Eugene, I'd go back someday
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

stymeman wrote:i really liked what i saw 1st hand, and i wasn't embarrased by that kinda loss, Mariotta is the real deal, and their speed killed us, but take away those costly turnovers, i saw this a good football game all around and NO injuries, as a matter of fact we saw lots of Ducks going off the field as a matter of fact. Fun day in Eugene, I'd go back someday
We had our starting right guard go down, but not sure if he returned.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:
stymeman wrote:i really liked what i saw 1st hand, and i wasn't embarrased by that kinda loss, Mariotta is the real deal, and their speed killed us, but take away those costly turnovers, i saw this a good football game all around and NO injuries, as a matter of fact we saw lots of Ducks going off the field as a matter of fact. Fun day in Eugene, I'd go back someday
#52 Sam Hardy is who i thought it was, i think he came back in, coulda been 62, was so far away...lol, but relatively injury free!!!!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
#52 Sam Hardy is who i thought it was, i think he came back in, coulda been 62, was so far away...lol, but relatively injury free!!!!
Hardy was on crutches after the injury. He never returned to the game.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

oh we've improved from the 1st game 100 fold, this team can be a force to reckon with in the Mountain West and I'm not even worried about Boise St at all in fact we're gonna get em this year, our running game is sooooo impressive, at Oregon I really couldn't believe what i was seeing!!!! this is gonna be a fun conference season!!! hands down
Larawie
Ranch Hand

Toughness is not an issue; speed is. I'm sure that will be addressed as the recruitin' season continues. Oh, and CB's! See ya Saturday.