Grades on today's game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 1 time

Offense: B- (B+/A- range if we didn't have so may turnovers and sacks, but definitely B range with the yardage gained)
Defense: C+ (I don't see many teams getting a B or higher against the Oregon offense)
Special Teams: B (Good returns overall but no really long ones, at least one great punt and coverage)
Overall: B-
I like the weekly improvement I'm seeing on the offense, the unit I was most worried about. Glad to see Colby getting numbers weekly, he deserves it for sticking it out (looking at you, A C-S)

How do the rest of you see it?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

Brew_Poke wrote:Offense: B- (B+/A- range if we didn't have so may turnovers and sacks, but definitely B range with the yardage gained)
Defense: C+ (I don't see many teams getting a B or higher against the Oregon offense)
Special Teams: B (Good returns overall but no really long ones, at least one great punt and coverage)
Overall: B-
I like the weekly improvement I'm seeing on the offense, the unit I was most worried about. Glad to see Colby getting numbers weekly, he deserves it for sticking it out (looking at you, A C-S)

How do the rest of you see it?
The good
- Defense looked great early but I think the TO's hurt the momentum and frustrated them.
- The OL really proud of these guys, Most sacks were coverage based and Kirk just not having an internal clock.
- Red shirt Freshman Guard good job.
- Wick & May great duo they had a solid day with 155 yards on the ground.
- Receivers great job solid day.

The Bad
- Secondary still really suspect.
- Kirk not realizing he has been standing in the pocket for 5+ seconds and fumbling on two sacks.
- Int both of them were preventable but the second would have been harder to prevent than the first.

The Ugly
- Refs flat out poop job we got burned quite a few times, Ducks even got burned a couple times just all around poop officiating.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Good news and bad news about the offensive field goal coach and team.
The bad news: An F for not trying in the waning moments.
The good news: It's an F+ for not missing one.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Offense :Starters vs. Starters our run game looked pretty darn good. Colby had some nice chain moving throws, but failed to take what the defense gave (underneath throws) and paid for it. Sans the 4th Qtr yards against backups I'll give the offense a C+

Defense : tough task for any defense, especially one finding it's new identity. Nzeocha was a beast again with 11 solos. Dline struggled as did the secondary a lot of arm tackling and missed tackles. But it's oregon. C-

Special teams: some great punts by E Wood. Return game wasn't bad either. B

coaching: game plan was really good. Turnovers not their fault. A-
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Kickoff returns sucked dick
W-Y, Until I Die!
mwc fan
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote:Kickoff returns sucked dick

Well yes, but compared to last year and the fact it was Oregon. I think we just licked the tip, not the whole dick.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

mwc fan wrote:

Well yes, but compared to last year and the fact it was Oregon. I think we just licked the tip, not the whole dick.
With the big dick Wyoming has been sucking the last years, that's expected
W-Y, Until I Die!
YankPoke
Cowpoke

Offense I thought looked pretty good. I would give them an A but the turnovers make it a B. Colby did well, but tried to force a couple plays and paid for it, but I was impressed with him. The oline played extremely well and I hope that continues. Run game was solid again.

Defense is hard to judge against an opponent of this caliber. I give them a c- with all the missed tackles.

Overall a B, I liked the way the Pokes competed in this game, and only see one other game on the schedule we can't put up a fight in.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

YankPoke wrote:Offense I thought looked pretty good. I would give them an A but the turnovers make it a B. Colby did well, but tried to force a couple plays and paid for it, but I was impressed with him. The oline played extremely well and I hope that continues. Run game was solid again.

Defense is hard to judge against an opponent of this caliber. I give them a c- with all the missed tackles.

Overall a B, I liked the way the Pokes competed in this game, and only see one other game on the schedule we can't put up a fight in.
I know you are taking about the MSU game but I actually think we have a much better chance against MSU than people realize. It will be a short game and most likely low scoring and with no TO's that could be a 1-2 possession game at the end.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:
mwc fan wrote:

With the big dick Wyoming has been sucking the last years, that's expected
How big is big?
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Been following the forum for a long time. Thought I'd register and start posting.

QB - C+ Everyone needs to stop being so negative about him and just accept that he is the best we have. He's growing by leaps and bounds each game. He'll be OK. He just needs more reps and better pocket presence and he'll be fine.

O Line - B+ Great job this game for the most part. This is the first team in a long time that actually controls the line of scrimmage decently. In years past the line of scrimmage instantly moved two yards against us.

WRs - B+ We've got some good ones.

RBs - A- We've got some great ones.

Defense - C+ Our tackling sucked bad.Overall not bad, though. Much improved from last year

Overall I'm very very very encouraged by what I've seen this year. I love what coach Bohl's done so far. I haven't been this excited about Cowboy football in a long time Go Pokes!!
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Offense - C+ - Can't do any better than that with 3 turnovers. Great to see the Pokes move the ball though. I am a harsh grader when it comes to turnovers.

Defense - C - Oregon's 1st team offense had 7 possessions, they scored 6 TD's and reached the WYO 2 on the other before turning it over on downs. Granted, it may be the best offense in the country (which is why I give them a C), but it doesn't get much more dominant than that.

Special Teams - B - I haven't really noticed special teams much under Bohl, and that is a huge compliment compared to what we saw under DC.

Coaching - B+ - This is largely the same defensive unit that gave up 56 to a 1-11 Hawaii team last November (in the midst of a 5 game stretching giving up 50 on average, all to MWC opponents). It would be unrealistic to expect any coaching staff to step in and in one offseason mold the type of defense that could slow down Oregon, so I am not disappointed in those results today. I see signs of a team that is more fundamentally sound and has more competitive fire. I know the latter seems like a reach after yet another blowout loss for the UW program, but I just didn't see the capitulation today that I saw from DC's teams on a number of occasions, usually against opponents far weaker than Oregon.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Offense-B- to C+. Actually moved the ball pretty well against the starters. But the TOs are what killed it for us. We did have 450 yards of offense. Which is why I put it on the border grade.

Defense- B-. Oregon gashed MSU just as badly, so I'm not too hard on them. But a lot of missed tackles and arm tackles were attempted after the 1st quarter and Oregon made us pay for it.

Special Teams- A. They did their job pretty well. Not stupid mistakes or blown assignments. They did alright.

Coaching- B. Offense, other than the TOs, which are out of the coaches hands, did alright. The defense though, they needed to get back to wrapping up the players, but didn't. That part is on the coaches.

So despite a big loss, we learned a few new things about our team. And if they stop the turnovers and wrap up to tackle, they should be in every game going forward. Even MSU.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

As a college football team, I would say D+. We got our asses handed to us. D offered little if any resistance. Some movemement on O, more than I expected, but the turnovers.

Relative to where I thought we would be, I say A. Much better progress than predicted, imo. CK isn't great but he can make some plays if the play goes as designed.

I think things are looking good. We stand a decent chance of a bowl game. If CK can get the turovers under control, nobody in the MWC should run us over. Should be a fun season.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
hithere
Ranch Hand

Wyo2dal wrote: The Ugly
- Refs flat out poop job we got burned quite a few times, Ducks even got burned a couple times just all around poop officiating.
Land Clark's crew worked the Wyoming-Oregon game. What's interesting is that he was hired away from the MWC/BigXII a few years ago with the push by the Pac12 to improve their crews.

He's been around but I agree that this game was called fairly unevenly.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

we hafta tackle better in the secondary, but the interior i like what i see