Next Up: FAU...who just dropped 51 on Tulsa

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

BOCA RATON — For the Florida Atlantic Owls, it doesn’t get much better than Saturday night’s home opener at FAU Stadium.
After program founder and longtime coach Howard Schnellenberger was honored before the game, the Owls went out and rolled up 518 yards of offense in a 50-21 rout of Tulsa in front of 14,112.
Quarterback Jaquez Johnson, sidelined by a shoulder injury since the second quarter of the season opener at Nebraska, celebrated his return by hitting 15 of 20 passes for 319 yards and three touchdowns and running for another score.
Johnson’s 74-yard TD pass to William Dukes in the first quarter was the longest of his career.
The Owls (1-2) also got a big performance from wide receiver Jenson Stoshak, who had two receptions of 59 yards, one for a touchdown, and totaled three catches for 118 yards.
FAU came into the game reeling after one-sided losses at Nebraska (55-7) and Alabama (41-0), but made a statement by jumping to a 17-0 lead after one quarter.
“I’m proud the team was able to bounce back after two tough losses and stay the course,” FAU coach Charley Partridge said.
Partridge, who earned his first win as a head coach, said Johnson looked good in practice last week.
“You can almost feel his leadership,” Partridge said. “He’s in a very, very good position right now.
“This first win means a lot and that we could do this on a night when Howard was honored.”
Johnson, held out of the Alabama game as a precaution, hit Stoshak for 59 yards to the Tulsa 4 on his first completion of the game. But the Golden Hurricane defense stiffened and the Owls had to settle for a 21-yard Greg Johnson field goal.
On FAU’s second series, on the first play after forcing a Tulsa punt, Johnson dropped back and threw 45 yards down the middle of the field to Dukes, who caught the ball in stride and raced to the end zone for the longest catch of his career.
Cornerback D’Joun Smith, who tied for third in the nation last year with seven interceptions, got his first of the season on Tulsa’s next possession, grabbing a tipped ball and running it back 23 yards for a touchdown.
By the end of the quarter, the Owls were firmly in command, with a 178-33 advantage in total yards and a 9:01-5:59 edge in possession time.

READ REST OF STORY HERE: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... ed-/nhMQD/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Tough to read this team. Was analiated by NE and Bama but dropped 51 on Tulsa. Glad this is a home game.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I think it is better this way. If Florida Atlantic just squeaks by or loses it could cause team to lose focus.

Seeing them put up a gawdy score like that makes the team focus more.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Hayduke
Cowpoke

This one I am coming to.

Good weather game. A chance to hang out in Laramie. An opponent I *thought* would roll over for us. Well, probably not... Hope for a good game in the win column for the Pokes.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Comparing this team is like comparing what Georgia State did to Air Force vs what we did, It makes no sense and means nothing. The style of offense and defense will be that of low scoring and taking care of business.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Wyo2dal wrote:Comparing this team is like comparing what Georgia State did to Air Force vs what we did, It makes no sense and means nothing. The style of offense and defense will be that of low scoring and taking care of business.
Agreed, Tulsa's D is atrocious. Really can't say much about FAU at this point. I read they only have 12 total returning starters this year.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Smallriver
Buckaroo

I believe you would clobber Tulsa. Good luck next game. You will play well.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

The problem is, is that a good throwing QB is going to hurt the Pokes - because the Poke secondary is not at the level of the rest of the team. If fact, I have really been disappointed with Burns. He certainly is not living up to his pre-season hype. The Pokes will have to rely on a sack oriented line.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

The Massey ratings had Wyoming losing this game in the off-season. Thought that was a bit weird. Can't see a team from Florida winning all the way out west, let alone FAU. Intrigued to see the spread, but UW should win.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I think our D is far more superior to Tulsa. I think a good fan base will give our D just what they need to step up and do what needs done. I'm still very confident in this D. We were in position several times to make the play, but third talent just gave them the opportunities to make plays where there was none. Oregon proved their superiority to me against us, giving me a first hand look at really how good they are.
And I don't think FAU had the D to stop us, especially with some confidence coming out of Oregon, yes, by moving the ball. I don't think FAU can keep up. We are set to take this game and Make it a big statement in between big games. We are in no position to look over anyone at this point, so I'm not worried our Team will be overlooking this FAU team to MSU.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

This is the type of low lander opponent that may struggle against our ball control ground and pound, ball control offense at 7220. If our defense can get some pressure on the QB we will be in good shape. Our D ends need to make a statement this week. Haven't seen much from Puletasi this year, hoping he has a break out game.
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

We should be able to wear them down and keep the score low.. Or it could be a Hawaii-esque game from last yr? Like mentioned before, tough to read. I do know that I would have much much less confidence if this game was in FLA.

Go Pokes

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Offense just needs to grind them down. Run them over and throw in the occasional pass play to keep them honest.

Defense needs to clean up their tackling from the Oregon game. And get pressure into the backfield. Do that, and we should do alright.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

Keep it close (or stay ahead of them) and the 4th qtr is ours.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Well, every time Puletasi has something good he's been flagged for it. He's actually done well at line disruption or breaking up running plays that comes his way, but he just hasn't had the tackles.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

WYCowboy wrote:Keep it close (or stay ahead of them) and the 4th qtr is ours.
Yeah, control the ball and go on extended drives. Be very careful with the ball as turnovers will quite possibly determine the outcome of this one.
Arthur Fonzerelli
Buckaroo

GUys I think we just need to score more points than fau and we can win It!!! And WAHOOO guys WAHOOO!!!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Why do I feel like if we had DC this FAU game would be our annual let down game?

But with Bohl, Wyo will probably thoroughly outplay FAU and win a close game, similar to the Montana and AFA games.

I will be interested to see what our defense holds FAU to. AFA has put up a good amount of points in their games besides the Wyo game, as has Montana.
AFA was held to 13 in Laramie but averages 46 in their non-Wyo games. (48 and 44...both wins)
Montana was held to 12 in Laramie but averages 38 in their non-Wyo games. (48 and 28...both wins)

FAU though?
Lost 55-7 in Lincoln, lost 41-0 in Tuscaloosa, then beat Tulsa 50-21.
2 blowout losses, and a blowout win.
They do not have a defense. Giving up 39 points per game.
Their offense? Putting up 19 points per game.

Wyoming should hold FAU to less than 14 like they have to Montana and AFA, and should be able to finally hit the 20's on the scoreboard.
Hell, who knows, maybe we find something that worked and Wick and May run wild and we put up 35 on them.
Either way, Pokes should get a good win and head to East Lansing 3-1.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

There's also the elevation and weather factor.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Honestly, this is the best feeling I've had yet about a game. I think Colby will come into the game confident after his play versus Oregon.

I think we'll put up 30+ points and win by at least two scores.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo