Paul Roach Question - from the mid-to-old timers

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 86 times

I was about 12 when Roach took over as HC of the Pokes. I know he was also AD. How did the fans respond when Roach appointed himself coach?

The only reason I ask is that I saw Coach Roach crossing the street in Laramie the other day and it brought a huge smile to my face. What a guy. It reminded me of my second-ever Poke game. It was a road game at CSU and we creamed the Sheep. After the game, some UW Norweigian exchange students (come to think of it, maybe[likely] they were our ski time...) were screaming a chant of "na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, kiss my a$$" over and over from the top of the stadium. Later, we saw the same lot of Scandinavians in the parking lot rolling around in the dirt like buffalo. Needless to say, they were capital D sort of Drunk. Ah, memories.
castlerocker
Cowpoke

He didn't appoint himself coach (as I remember it), it was thrust upon him and took some time to get him to accept it.

I don't think it was his idea but everyone knew he was the man for the job.
The Virginian
Cowpoke

As I recall it was the Board of Trustees that wanted him to take the job.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

Whatever the answer may be, I must interject and say how great of a man he is today. Incredibly kind.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Both then and now, he has been a great ambassador, coach, and AD for UW.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

Thanks for the history. As I said, I was 12 and didn't pay any real attention to it, other than to note that he was AD and then he was the coach.

He is and will likely always be my all-time favorite Wyoming coach in any sport. Bohl has the potential to move into that spot, but it will take a heck of an effort.

Does anyone recall how he became AD? Was it a similar history? That someone asked him to serve?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

WYCowboy wrote:Both then and now, he has been a great ambassador, coach, and AD for UW.
100% agree.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

Seems that there is a good story out on the subject - and one that has previously been linked to on this board.

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-12-25/ ... paul-roach

What a guy.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

That was a tough time. Dennis Erickson had just left after 1 year. And I believe Pat Dye left after 1 year the year before that. So as other posters wrote, he was asked to take over. Good times. Brandenburg was building a powerhouse at the very same time. Seems like a 1000 centuries ago.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

bladerunnr wrote:That was a tough time. Dennis Erickson had just left after 1 year. And I believe Pat Dye left after 1 year the year before that. So as other posters wrote, he was asked to take over. Good times. Brandenburg was building a powerhouse at the very same time. Seems like a 1000 centuries ago.
Nope. Al Kincaid was before the Weasel AKA Dennis Erickson. Kincaid was in Laramie from 1981-85. Pat Dye was in 1980.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

I think most of us really enjoyed having Roach as both head coach and AD. After he stepped down as coach, and hired Tiller there were some upset fans who thought Del Wight should have been promoted to head coach. People were afraid Tiller would bolt like Erickson and Dye. Wight was a Wyoming guy (from Lysite if I remember right). Tiller let Wight go and replaced him as defensive coordinator, and that really pissed more than a few people off. We all know Tiller went on to be a pretty good hire so I think it proves Roach was a pretty smart guy (nothing against Wight, he was a hell of a defensive coach). I know it was fun watching the Pokes kick ass in those days.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.